New Everton Stadium Discussion

Area isn't the issue at BMD it's the length of the plot N>S and it's clear that brings compromises to the design, though any decent architect should relish that. I'd like to know if we attempted to purchase some of Nelson and if not why not.

I actually agree with you on redevelopment but the will simply isn't there to even consider it. Had we been moving anwhere other than to docklands I'm sure there'd be stronger voices asking for justification.
Spot on.

'Way longer' (?) in a proportion of the length maybe, but in area?

BMD is a nice size, but it's essentially the wrong way round because you don't build stadiums East-West (there are a few exceptions but not many).

Obviously North-South is doable, as all the plans leaked/shown so far have that orientation, but it is tight (bearing in mind circulation is needed as well) and it probably has knock-on effects on a number of things. I think the small north stand in the plans shown a while ago was an early attempt at one compromise solution. Maybe a better one has been worked out since, but the fact such ideas were being drawn up says to me they're really pushing the limits of what the site can take.

I made this a while ago to show just how tight it is...
What's bigger, Bramley Moore Dock, or Emirates Stadium

BMD is a nice size, but it's essentially the wrong way round because you don't build stadiums East-West (there are a few exceptions but not many).

Obviously North-South is doable, as all the plans leaked/shown so far have that orientation, but it is tight (bearing in mind circulation is needed as well) and it probably has knock-on effects on a number of things. I think the small north stand in the plans shown a while ago was an early attempt at one compromise solution. Maybe a better one has been worked out since, but the fact such ideas were being drawn up says to me they're really pushing the limits of what the site can take.

I made this a while ago to show just how tight it is...
What's bigger, Bramley Moore Dock, or Emirates Stadium
BMD looks tighter than the Emirates but the difference will be whereas the latter has shallower rakes to their stands BMD will have steeper stands to (a) overcome the lack of acreage and (b) to promote the sense of the fans being closer to the pitch which increases the intensity of the atmosphere.

Bet we still lose our first game there, though!

Also, they have space outside the stadium footprint for supporters to circulate. Remember at BMD we have circulation under the end stands due to lack of space and who knows what impact that may have on lower tier facilities.

I'm pretty concerned the concourses will be too crammed.

Area isn't the issue at BMD it's the length of the plot N>S and it's clear that brings compromises to the design, though any decent architect should relish that. I'd like to know if we attempted to purchase some of Nelson and if not why not.

I actually agree with you on redevelopment but the will simply isn't there to even consider it. Had we been moving anwhere other than to docklands I'm sure there'd be stronger voices asking for justification.
Redeveloping Goodison is a non starter for a variety of reasons, mainly it just wouldn’t generate sufficient non football revenue to justify the outlay. It’s in a poor location as far as distance from the city centre and general environment is concerned and would be in direct competition with Anfield without the kudos that the pit has acquired worldwide.
It is no doubt hoped that having a modern stadium on the famous riverfront of what was once the second city of the most extensive Empire the world has known will make it an attractive venue for things other than football and thereby generate the extra finance required for us to compete in future years.

BMD looks tighter than the Emirates but the difference will be whereas the latter has shallower rakes to their stands BMD will have steeper stands to (a) overcome the lack of acreage and (b) to promote the sense of the fans being closer to the pitch which increases the intensity of the atmosphere.

The depth of the rows is what matters when it comes to the footprint, not the steepness of the stands. Steeper stands will just make the stadium taller, it won't reduce the footprint (the stand will still go back just as far - i.e. row depth multipled by number of rows - it doesn't matter how high one row is above the one in front of it).

Now, Meis is going for a smaller row depth (therefore a bit less legroom) compared to other modern stadiums so that should help get more seats into the same area. It still looks tight to me though.

I suspect the sewerage works next door will reduce the appeal for those out of season non sporting events. The satellite image posted above reinforces the proximity.

The depth of the rows is what matters when it comes to the footprint, not the steepness of the stands. Steeper stands will just make the stadium taller, it won't reduce the footprint (the stand will still go back just as far - i.e. row depth multipled by number of rows - it doesn't matter how high one row is above the one in front of it).

Now, Meis is going for a smaller row depth (therefore a bit less legroom) compared to other modern stadiums so that should help get more seats into the same area. It still looks tight to me though.
True, but we can shave off about 20 metres by putting the stands close to the endlines lol. I can't understand what Arsenal were thinking with their design. It gets absolutely everything wrong in terms of trying to be an atmospheric, intimidating stadium. It's just 'nice'. So Arsenal.

One of the main issues they had was height restrictions imposed by Islington council. It means the whole stadium is flatter than the architects would've liked.

As rob will echo , you certainly cannot miss the new White hart lane
Compared to the emirates and it the location
Nwhl simply dominates the skyline compared to the emirates