New Everton Stadium Discussion

Watching Man City last night I was amazed at the number of empty seats in their stadium. This is a team playing to go back top of the Premier League, one trophy already in the cabinet, going for two more, playing some of the best football we've seen at times and with historically a strong local fan base. The atmosphere was terrible. Rather have the new stadium smaller but full myself. As long as the club have a policy of ensuring the local fan base have enough season tickets to cover demand then the rest of us will just have to take our chances on general sales and enjoy those occasions we get to watch Everton in hopefully one of the best atmospheric stadiums around.

Cant see for the foreseeable future match day ticket revenues being the financial driver of taking teams from best of the rest to top six challenger.

They've got the champions league matches, two wembley trips and a few london aways coming up to be fair so I can see the fans being stretched.

Although to be fair, I've never seen united have this problem, but then again they're the most supported team iin he world.

The RS fans say we're not a big enough club to have a 60,000 stadium but I disagree. When I started going the game in the 1950s our average attendance was around 70,000.

Besides, moving to a new stadium increases your average attendance dramatically.

Before West Ham moved to the London Stadiun, they had 24,000 season ticket holders and they rarely filled Upton Park. They now have 53,000 season ticket holders.

People are more willing to buy a ticket if the stadium has great facilities and no obstructed views.
If you listen to THEM we would be building a stadium to hold 5,000.

They've got the champions league matches, two wembley trips and a few london aways coming up to be fair so I can see the fans being stretched.

Although to be fair, I've never seen united have this problem, but then again they're the most supported team iin he world.

That's a fair point. Be nice to see Everton fans having that kind of financial dilemma!!!

Have to say that the new Spurs Stadium looks like its upped the ante considerably. Longest bar in Europe? That's how you increase revenue.

I've seen on twitter it's a battle to get served though.

One thing about the stadium though is it's not intimidating at all. Stands barely seem on top of the opposition like the juve stadium for example. It looks "friendly" albeit the emirates.

I want players to look at our stand and think "christ", not some lovely curving crescent that makes you want to sing along with it. Spurs fans want a different atmosphere to us.

When goodison is angry and up for it it's like a bear pit and definitely goes against the opposition - this is why I'm stressing for steep, solid stands.

That's a fair point. Be nice to see Everton fans having that kind of financial dilemma!!!

To be honest, and a bit biased, I could never see us having empty seats like that in a league match even if we had the fixture pile up like them. Always sell out aways and recently every home game. Our support is underrated

I want proper cider at the pumps. Not some sugared abortion made with apple peel and chemicals.

The alcohol range and pricing is diabolical. Sort your shiz out Evv and people might consider calling a halt to their crusade of hidden cans and class A's.

Put Wetherspoons bars in every stand.
I assume this was aimed at Everton? Because the prices at spurs are more than reasonable.. £4 for a pint of Amstel and £5 a pint for the stuff brewed at the stadium. Very good prices, specially for London.

I've seen on twitter it's a battle to get served though.

One thing about the stadium though is it's not intimidating at all. Stands barely seem on top of the opposition like the juve stadium for example. It looks "friendly" albeit the emirates.

I want players to look at our stand and think "christ", not some lovely curving crescent that makes you want to sing along with it. Spurs fans want a different atmosphere to us.

When goodison is angry and up for it it's like a bear pit and definitely goes against the opposition - this is why I'm stressing for steep, solid stands.

I think its a battle to get served at any major football match, but its a good point. Fact is, Spurs have gone all out to get as much cash out of punters as they can, and its good business. Pandering to supporters is all very well, but football today, rightly or wrongly, is primarily a business, and the commercial aspects at the new stadium must be the prime consideration.

I want proper cider at the pumps. Not some sugared abortion made with apple peel and chemicals.

The alcohol range and pricing is diabolical. Sort your shiz out Evv and people might consider calling a halt to their crusade of hidden cans and class A's.

Put Wetherspoons bars in every stand.
Not the daftest idea, but all that stuff will go to the highest bidder, which will in turn be reflected in the prices...or maybe common sense will prevail.
How much did all that fancy stuff in NWHL add to the cost??
Back in the day, breweries paid for 'fit outs' in Clubs and tied you to their beer.

Over to you Wetherspoons just put in the beer we drink every weekend before the game and stuff the fancy hipster micro brewery.

Fully agree. Stadium capacity of 61,878 - lower the ticket prices & bring more in. See it as an investment in getting more fans in at an early age. Add to that the additional tourism etc i'd be happy with that.

Hell - even if we have a 10k tier around the top which we can close off & hide if we can't fill it.
Not sure it's a fair comparison. There's only 450k people in Liverpool in total and about 1.4M in Merseyside in total including the Wirral. London alone (never mind the commuter towns) is over 8M.
The thing about London is that is huge and so densely populated. Several London boroughs added together have a higher population than Liverpool and population density means that they don't have that far to travel to get to Spurs.
We'd be expecting 5% of the population of Merseyside to turn up to Bramley Moore. Feels a big ask.
(Population of Liverpool has dropped over the decades too, hence why it was possibly easier to get big crowds in the past)

The problem for the current plans is that in 4-5 years time alot of clubs like Wolves, Leicester, Palace etc will be expanding their grounds so 52k isnt exactly pushing us forward.

We should have always gone for 55k with the potential for around 60k with safe standing. Those 3k extra seats whilst not massive still represent a club trying to compete with the top 6 whilst understanding that realistically we couldn't fill a 60k+ seater just yet week in week out.

We would fill more than Man City 100% in my opinion. People forget Manchester is largely Utd due to decades of dominance. Merseyside is very much more split from my experience.

Not sure it's a fair comparison. There's only 450k people in Liverpool in total and about 1.4M in Merseyside in total including the Wirral. London alone (never mind the commuter towns) is over 8M.
The thing about London is that is huge and so densely populated. Several London boroughs added together have a higher population than Liverpool and population density means that they don't have that far to travel to get to Spurs.
We'd be expecting 5% of the population of Merseyside to turn up to Bramley Moore. Feels a big ask.
(Population of Liverpool has dropped over the decades too, hence why it was possibly easier to get big crowds in the past)

Aren't Sunderland putting something like 25% of the population in the stadium regularly? :)

Aren't Sunderland putting something like 25% of the population in the stadium regularly? :)
Yes but what else is there to do in Sunderland
OK so Sunderland itself has a population of 277k and Tyne and Wear 1.1M.
If we take Tyne and Wear, it's getting about 3%. Which is very good considering, um, the performance. But there's a reason they limited the stadium to 42k....

Pochettino had this to say about it:

"Now we are World Cup winners in facilities. Now the stadium is here and we need to be on the same level."

That is NSNO in a sentence. They have built the best stadium and now challenging themselves to meet that in other areas. Us by creating a stadium which only holds 8 or so thousand more general attendance seats after subtracting the premium/executive ones it screams 'well it will always be nearly full even if we are pants'.