New Everton Stadium Discussion

There's a new interview with Dan Meis here: http://www.cladglobal.com/architecture-design-features?codeid=32834

Back in 2016, Meis was named the architect tasked with designing a new home for English Premier League club Everton FC, which will be situated in Liverpool’s historic Bramley Moore Dock. Fervent speculation about his plans has built up ever since, and the first renderings are due shortly.

Meis says his aim is to “embrace the future of English football without totally forgetting the past” – avoiding the pitfalls that have befallen clubs such as West Ham when moving away from a much-loved home.

Admitting he feels “a huge responsibility” at the task of creating a replacement for Goodison Park, the team’s home of 126 years and one of the world’s oldest purpose-built football grounds, he says, “A major part of the challenge is how do we take somewhere that has been this magical place and move it somewhere else?

“There’s a cautionary tale with a lot of the new UK sports buildings. Clubs have moved to new venues that have none of the sense of history or the spirit of where they were before,” he expands. “I think what we’re seeing with the West Ham backlash, for example, is that you can have a shiny new stadium, but if it’s not a great football venue it is going to face challenges.”

The architect pledges that Everton will avoid this trap with its move across the city.

“From the very first time I was at Goodison, I recognised the importance of the idea that this building has a memory and a long incredible history has been enjoyed there,” he says. “The energy of the place and the love for the experience was something I can’t describe. We have specific ideas about bringing physical pieces of the stadium with us to the new ground. Certainly references will be made. We’re not going to do it in a copied, cliched way, but we will create moments where people will know this is from Goodison.”

Meis describes Bramley Moore as “a dream site” for an architect.

“The biggest opportunity is to be more connected to the centre of Liverpool, and to have an iconic location right along the Mersey. However, it has its challenges beyond the design considerations. This is a World Heritage Site, a dock rather than a wide open piece of land, and a precious front door to the city. We have a great responsibility to create something that represents the city in a world-class way. Designing a new home for these fans is one of the most incredible experiences of my career.”

There's a new interview with Dan Meis here: http://www.cladglobal.com/architecture-design-features?codeid=32834

Back in 2016, Meis was named the architect tasked with designing a new home for English Premier League club Everton FC, which will be situated in Liverpool’s historic Bramley Moore Dock. Fervent speculation about his plans has built up ever since, and the first renderings are due shortly.

Meis says his aim is to “embrace the future of English football without totally forgetting the past” – avoiding the pitfalls that have befallen clubs such as West Ham when moving away from a much-loved home.

Admitting he feels “a huge responsibility” at the task of creating a replacement for Goodison Park, the team’s home of 126 years and one of the world’s oldest purpose-built football grounds, he says, “A major part of the challenge is how do we take somewhere that has been this magical place and move it somewhere else?

“There’s a cautionary tale with a lot of the new UK sports buildings. Clubs have moved to new venues that have none of the sense of history or the spirit of where they were before,” he expands. “I think what we’re seeing with the West Ham backlash, for example, is that you can have a shiny new stadium, but if it’s not a great football venue it is going to face challenges.”

The architect pledges that Everton will avoid this trap with its move across the city.

“From the very first time I was at Goodison, I recognised the importance of the idea that this building has a memory and a long incredible history has been enjoyed there,” he says. “The energy of the place and the love for the experience was something I can’t describe. We have specific ideas about bringing physical pieces of the stadium with us to the new ground. Certainly references will be made. We’re not going to do it in a copied, cliched way, but we will create moments where people will know this is from Goodison.”

Meis describes Bramley Moore as “a dream site” for an architect.

“The biggest opportunity is to be more connected to the centre of Liverpool, and to have an iconic location right along the Mersey. However, it has its challenges beyond the design considerations. This is a World Heritage Site, a dock rather than a wide open piece of land, and a precious front door to the city. We have a great responsibility to create something that represents the city in a world-class way. Designing a new home for these fans is one of the most incredible experiences of my career.”

sounds like a rehash of everything he has already said.

nowt to see here