New Everton Stadium Discussion

Initially I was hoping for a more intimate stadium of about 50k but the more I think about it that would send out the wrong message with all the top sides either at 60k+ or expanding to it. Hopefully given that we are not London based the focus can be on delivering a proper football stadium rather than a venue which is so heavily focused on corporates like Arsenal and the new Spurs stadium

Mr Moshiri is talking big. I've got a feeling that the capacity of our new stadium will be even greater than that of Tottenham's new ground.

There's a respected poster who keeps dropping hints at 80k. That actually wouldn't surprise me if we're building something that will be truly multi purpose and unique in the north of the country. It would need intelligent design though as clearly we wouldn't get crowds like that.

Initially I was hoping for a more intimate stadium of about 50k but the more I think about it that would send out the wrong message with all the top sides either at 60k+ or expanding to it. Hopefully given that we are not London based the focus can be on delivering a proper football stadium rather than a venue which is so heavily focused on corporates like Arsenal and the new Spurs stadium

50k is ridiculous mate no offence. We have season tickets being sold with quite poor views and facilities (LB and back of the GS) right now. If we factor just those that currently buy tickets plus 5k corp then we're at 45k without attracting a single new supporter to a brand new stadium with facilities as good as anywhere, unparalled views and the greatest accesibility in our history. It's 60k+.

To be fair, Everton has always had ITK's spouting rumour and conjecture. I think this was written by one of Esk's forebearers

Tuesday, October 19 – 1886

From reliable information I have just received, the Association game in Liverpool would appear to be on the point of undergoing a somewhat remarkable development,. Mr. John Houlding, a city councillor, an opulent brewer and a generous patron of sport to boot, purchased, some, some three years ago for a sum of £6,000 the land now known as the “Anfield enclosure,” the headquarters of the Everton Club, and which, I hear, is to be remodelled, and a grand stand built, while at the main entrance will be erected a palatial hotel, at a cost of £3,000. The recent successes of Everton have no doubt stimulated this lavish outlay, such action being possibly accelerated by the alleged manoeuvring of a rival firm.

*My grandfather bet his wages on that new grandstand and hotel ;)

some, some three years ago for a sum

We have to aim big with the capacity, the new stadium is probably going to have to last us the next 100 years. Goodison's capacity was 56,000 up until 1977 when safety measures meant a reduction. I think 56k should be the minimum and it links nicely to our past. Although I wouldn't say no to new stadium having the same capacity as our Goodison record 78k?! ;-)

There's a respected poster who keeps dropping hints at 80k. That actually wouldn't surprise me if we're building something that will be truly multi purpose and unique in the north of the country. It would need intelligent design though as clearly we wouldn't get crowds like that.

50k is ridiculous mate no offence. We have season tickets being sold with quite poor views and facilities (LB and back of the GS) right now. If we factor just those that currently buy tickets plus 5k corp then we're at 45k without attracting a single new supporter to a brand new stadium with facilities as good as anywhere, unparalled views and the greatest accesibility in our history. It's 60k+.

60k+ would i imagine be the bare minimum we would go for Mick, can see either a possibility of a 60k ish initial build with room to expand by 15-20k in the designs, or an initial build much bigger than we need 75-80k with the ability to close off certain sections completely for the majority of games and only opening them for the ultra high demand games (we'd fill 80k for the rs, united etc given the loacation i believe)

If we just go for a 60k build or lower with no plans or scope for improving on that then we will have badly misjudged the potential for the club going forward

60k+ would i imagine be the bare minimum we would go for Mick, can see either a possibility of a 60k ish initial build with room to expand by 15-20k in the designs, or an initial build much bigger than we need 75-80k with the ability to close off certain sections completely for the majority of games and only opening them for the ultra high demand games (we'd fill 80k for the rs, united etc given the loacation i believe)

If we just go for a 60k build or lower with no plans or scope for improving on that then we will have badly misjudged the potential for the club going forward

Totally agree. The American style stadia are interesting as it looks like additional tiers can be added (think the window end at the Lucas Oil) but there's the alternative view of building big and sectioning off as you say. That shouldn't pose any issues with intelligent design and would allow international games, European finals, top-end gigs, one-off NFL maybe etc. Interesting times.

None taken. It is just vital we don't lose home advantage by moving to a huge soulless corporate bowl like the emirates. I have faith this won't happen as the designer appears to get us based on his tweets

Don't forget I would also expect a higher number of away fans coming then we get at Goodison now, obviously the likes of United can sell whatever we give them, but I'm sure even those who might just take the lower now would bring more then they currently do. Over the full season we would possibly bring another 15,000 fans upping the average per game a bit.

Don't forget I would also expect a higher number of away fans coming then we get at Goodison now, obviously the likes of United can sell whatever we give them, but I'm sure even those who might just take the lower now would bring more then they currently do. Over the full season we would possibly bring another 15,000 fans upping the average per game a bit.
3k limit on away fans.

3k limit on away fans.

The 3k is minimum* for stadiums over 30k, else it's 10%. Man utd's allocation for St Mary's is over 3k. You wouldn't usually want more opposition supporters than necessary esp. with fixed price away tickets so usually clubs give just the 3k.

If we had a humongous stadium i wouldn't see why we could give a 4k/5k allocation but only a handful of clubs have that support and those are the games we are likely to sell out without giving it to the away side.

*although it can be less than 3k if there is a genuine reason like saftey issues from persistent standing from the last fixture or the sky is too blue that day.

The 3k is minimum* for stadiums over 30k, else it's 10%. Man utd's allocation for St Mary's is over 3k. You wouldn't usually want more opposition supporters than necessary esp. with fixed price away tickets so usually clubs give just the 3k.

If we had a humongous stadium i wouldn't see why we could give a 4k/5k allocation but only a handful of clubs have that support and those are the games we are likely to sell out without giving it to the away side.

*although it can be less than 3k if there is a genuine reason like saftey issues from persistent standing from the last fixture or the sky is too blue that day.
Where are you seeing that? I've googled it, and whilst I can't find anything official in the PL site, everything points to a 3k MAX figure, not min.

IQW_yg.jpg