New Everton Stadium Discussion

TBH when its finally announced I want the all singing and dancing computer graphics with the final design etc.Similar to the Kings Dock but obviously it will be more graphic

Please...
22362.46793.jpg

lucas14954-1024x431.jpg

09454_063.jpg
lucas-oil-stadiumnight_1.jpg
lucas-oil-stadium-5.jpg
lucas-oil-stadium.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

6048244_orig.jpg

I agree you are more than safe for now and of course everything is london-centric but just remember you will just be the 3rd and smallest ground to hold NFL games in London. It's up to stadium designers around the country to make a venue suitable for games up in the north that are worth considering.

Other stadium designers can do what they like but the point is, the NFL have been working with Spurs on this from the outset, they're not simply renting an already existing ground like they have with Wembley and Twickenham. That's the difference, it's a partnership. Levy approached them before we started designing the ground so they've been involved from Day 1. We're building the NFL their own media facilities, locker rooms, tunnel (which will have a slight impact on the stadium's interior), and as has already been mentioned dedicated artificial pitch at the correct height below the stands. They've been sending delegations from the US to visit the construction site every few months to check and tweak their bits of the stadium. All of which suggests they're in it for the long haul and looking at this as their long-term base if there's to be a franchise ahead of the two bigger venues they've already used.

A club up north could approach the NFL to form a similar partnership. If Everton did that and succeeded then you'd be talking about doing the same thing as us. But building a venue that's "worth considering" in the hope of attracting NFL, but without actually working with them, isn't the same.

I know you were only half joking btw. And I'm aware this thread is becoming a bit too much about WHL, so I'll shut up and get some dinner now. ;)

Last edited:

I dont like it.

Looks like a train station to me. And that massive window is utterly pointless as far as I can tell.

That Lucas oil ground is amazing, anything like that would be fantasic with the window left out

The window looks redundant from the outside. But saw this description on Wiki -

"The six wall panels move simultaneously during opening and closing in six minutes. The windows seal when closed, fully shielding building occupants from all weather conditions.
The retractable window offers a view of downtown Indianapolis during games, concerts and other events due to the stadium's angled position on the city block"

That's a neat idea. Naturally we shouldn't be looking at other stadiums to 'copy' but for inspiration, especially given as this was built with American Football in mind. I picked this because I think it would look great at a dockside location.

First time I ever heard his name was over the dock stadium possibility. I've just been through the stadia projects they've done and it doesn't blow me away, tbh.

Dan Meis? Its not the projects Meis Architects have done, the studio were only started in 2007, its more the experience if the people who will likely be working on the new stadium. Dan Meis himself has exoerience of working with HOK and Populous, both of which have a huge array of succesful and iconic stadia and arenas. Admittedly, its not really a fair comparison as I would have no idea what individuals from Herzog & de Meuron wpuld be working on it, but the team from Meis really are a top, top level of architect who have a real breadth of knowledge across stadium usages and design.

I posted a video of Dan Meis a while back, his ideas are really interesting and discuss the idea of a stadium reflecting its community. There is also a small mention of sunken stadiums which could be interesting given the sites terrain.