New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find some of your comments on players astonishing. Let me comment on the players you singled out:
Keane; England international, whom Ancelotti (a decent judge) rated. Improved last season after a second season wobble.
Coleman; A leader in the estimation of anyone who's worked with him. Even at this stage in his career is capable of making a difference in team effectiveness. Less able than he was to get up and down, but never downs tools.
Sigurdsson; I am very critical of him, because of his one-paced jogging around the pitch. Covers ground, but doesn't effect play enough. Still a creator, though, and has a skill-set that belies your donkey tag.
Davies; Ancelotti was extremely negative about him at first. But admitted he is a worker and someone who is always striving to improve. Again, the word from people who know and work with him is that he's a really good pro, if not the scouse Messi.
Gomes; On his day shows great technique and ball-holding. Slow on the turn, and his recovery pace, never a strength, has reduced since injury. Could be a stand-out in a slower league, but nobody has ever criticised his professionalism.

That was your next point, where you accused the whole squad of unprofessionalism. Really? Based on what? Do you see them in training? Do you see how they eat and live? I am always amazed how people can slag strangers with a public profile and accuse them of things of which they can have no knowledge.

I'd agree with a lot of your points on the management options, although Benitez is suspect in terms of temperament. He will go to war in public with his bosses, and constantly falls out with lots of people. But he is strong on discipline. It would still stick in my craw to support him, but that's what I'd do if appointed.

But rather than damn our whole squad, wouldn't it be more constructive to highlight leadership amongst the players as the missing ingredient? We're crying out for a Peter Reid, or an Andy Gray; someone to inspire and galvanise the players. I think we have a lot of nice, polite young men in the squad, and could do with more aggression and fire. But your character assassinations here just go too far for me. And maybe the leaders we need are there, waiting to be unleashed. Godfrey? Allan? Even the Tom Davies whom you clearly despise.

No manager could possibly follow your advice and regard (or maybe throw out?!) the whole squad as 'poor players'. There will need to be a mixture of coached improvement, positional/mindset changes, targeted replacement and tactical tweaks. I don't underestimate the challenge, hence I would favour someone more like Galtier or even Potter, noted for player development. But I couldn't let your damning post pass any more than I can always keep quiet when some foam-flecked fool next to me at the match kicks off on a player whose skills and athleticism he could only match in his dreams.

Keane isn’t an England international! He has played for England in the past yes, but he hasn’t been considered for the squad for ages, wish people would stop using that term for him.

But said manager will get the boo boys on his back and he'll be sacked after 18 months when we're lower half/mid table.

Building a squad and foundations should be paramount over league positions (relegation aside obvs)
I'm not sure I understand the first para of your post.

If you mean a Benitez appointment I agree.

However if Brands explained that we want to appoint a young manager who will revamp the squad but it will take time I think the fan base would buy into it.

2nd para agree.

I'm not sure I understand the first para of your post.

If you mean a Benitez appointment I agree.

However if Brands explained that we want to appoint a young manager who will revamp the squad but it will take time I think the fan base would buy into it.

2nd para agree.
We wouldn't though and we all know it.
We'd all be on his back 2nd season at the latest.

From past experience, what makes you think Everton have a fan base that are patient and willing to wait for results?
If we get an experienced manager and they have a few bad results the fans will instantly get on their back.
If we get a younger unproven manager and they have a few bad results the fans will instantly get on their back.
That's Premier League football these days, it's either success or the sack for managers.

We wouldn't though and we all know it.
We'd all be on his back 2nd season at the latest.
Even if we were though, the club could just say pipe down you gang of beauts we told you what the deal was. The problem in recent years is that Moshiri etc have been shooting their mouth off about us winning stuff and joining the top table, so obviously fans get impatient and wonder why it isn't happening. The board have no comeback when the crowd get restless because the manager clearly isn't meeting the targets they've publicly said we're aiming for. If they explained what we were trying to do then I think people would be more understanding, but as I said, if not then they can just calmly explain that the manager is meeting their objectives and everybody needs to chill out. If you manage the message well then you really can control the situation quite easily. Everton are just absolutely woeful at doing that, as they're evidencing right now.

From past experience, what makes you think Everton have a fan base that are patient and willing to wait for results?
If we get an experienced manager and they have a few bad results the fans will instantly get on their back.
If we get a younger unproven manager and they have a few bad results the fans will instantly get on their back.
That's Premier League football these days, it's either success or the sack for managers.

I'd say a good chunk of Everton fans accepted dreadful football last season at times due to having a proven track record manager in the dugout. There was plenty of patience shown - some knee jerk reactions but as I say below, that is football fans as a whole.

So yes football fans (not Everton fans) as a whole are impatient but if you get the right person fans can do it.

Why would you support him just cause he was appointed? We aren't sheep just following along. If you don't want him at the club, you let the owners know, don't just be subservient.
Sorry if I wasn't clear. I am not supporting his appointment, but, if he is appointed, I would (with difficulty) try to get behind him, because I can't see how a toxic, rebelling fanbase would help the team, and that's my main interest; seeing the team do well.

Even if we were though, the club could just say pipe down you gang of beauts we told you what the deal was. The problem in recent years is that Moshiri etc have been shooting their mouth off about us winning stuff and joining the top table, so obviously fans get impatient and wonder why it isn't happening. The board have no comeback when the crowd get restless because the manager clearly isn't meeting the targets they've publicly said we're aiming for. If they explained what we were trying to do then I think people would be more understanding, but as I said, if not then they can just calmly explain that the manager is meeting their objectives and everybody needs to chill out. If you manage the message well then you really can control the situation quite easily. Everton are just absolutely woeful at doing that, as they're evidencing right now.
Would you accept them saying that if they appointed Rafael?
At the end of the day we were 4 wins off CL. They aren't ripping that up starting again. They want someone to push us on.
Personally I don't think it's Rafael but if it is I'll get on with it (until 2nd season syndrome kicks in again).

Status
Not open for further replies.