New Everton Manager

Next ex-Everton manager

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the likelihood of it being Benitez recedes with every passing hour, just as Nuno's "imminent" coronation did.

I could see our board announcing Rafael during the England-Scotland match for damage limitation purposes, but if it goes beyond today the veracity of Jim White's scoop - and Sky's "understanding" - can be called into increasing question.

All still to play for from what I can see.
I'd agree and wouldn't underestimate the power of sentiment, at Everton in particular, though it should play no part.

Nothing like the weekend to make them stew on Benitez, and give in to any misgivings or reluctance.

If it pans out like that, it reflects poorly on us as a professional organisation, but will no doubt appease quite a few.

If he was their genuine top candidate, they should have the confidence of conviction and get it sorted.

Bearing in mind the problems Spurs are having, the longer this goes on for us, the more likelihood of Duncan or Martinez getting the job.

This could actually be a sensible option.

If the idea is to build a young squad replace some of the dead wood, and Brands is going to be overseeing that in the long run, and if there is no ideal candidate available, then appointing Ferguson initially on an interim basis to see how it goes, while keeping the feelers out for a long term successor, might be as good an option as any other.

If that means keeping our options open and appointing someone in November or January, then so be it. There's no restrictions in appointing a manager outside of a transfer window. Getting things settled and ready for the return in a couple of weeks time, and focusing on the here and now could be a way to go. If the long term plan is truly in place, I don't see why it would matter in waiting a couple of months. The upside is, if we are doing well, Ferguson is proving himself and gaining much valued experience. If we are not doing so well, then are looking to appoint someone anyway.

The sooner this drawn out process has some form of conclusion and doesn't continue to be dragged through the media with daily guess work and bullsh*t twitter rumours the better. It would allow us to focus on the task at hand and hopefully put an end to the pressure bubbling under the surface.
You are too sensible for this Forum
This could actually be a sensible option.

If the idea is to build a young squad replace some of the dead wood, and Brands is going to be overseeing that in the long run, and if there is no ideal candidate available, then appointing Ferguson initially on an interim basis to see how it goes, while keeping the feelers out for a long term successor, might be as good an option as any other.

If that means keeping our options open and appointing someone in November or January, then so be it. There's no restrictions in appointing a manager outside of a transfer window. Getting things settled and ready for the return in a couple of weeks time, and focusing on the here and now could be a way to go. If the long term plan is truly in place, I don't see why it would matter in waiting a couple of months. The upside is, if we are doing well, Ferguson is proving himself and gaining much valued experience. If we are not doing so well, then are looking to appoint someone anyway.

The sooner this drawn out process has some form of conclusion and doesn't continue to be dragged through the media with daily guess work and bullsh*t twitter rumours the better. It would allow us to focus on the task at hand and hopefully put an end to the pressure bubbling under the surface.
You need to take look at yourself. You're way too sensible for this Forum, fella

I would back Howe. Alternatively Potter.

I'd "consider" some other names like the club are but whoever they choose you're likely to see the fumometer go through the roof. Galtier sounds the ideal foreign appointment. For me Howe (or Potter) would be a safe home appointment. Big Nev backs Big Dunc but it's a risky one. I honestly think we need to drop the 'big name won trophies' cv (had that with Mr Ancelotti) and create a new formula build a new team. Just not NES.
Howe would come in, 5 year project and actually build something. People seem to want the nosh off a 90's Pamela Anderson, bang done quick win yay! It's not happening like that no matter how much money you throw at it.

I'd agree and wouldn't underestimate the power of sentiment, at Everton in particular, though it should play no part.

Nothing like the weekend to make them stew on Benitez, and give in to any misgivings or reluctance.

If it pans out like that, it reflects poorly on us as a professional organisation, but will no doubt appease quite a few.

If he was their genuine top candidate, they should have the confidence of conviction and get it sorted.

Bearing in mind the problems Spurs are having, the longer this goes on for us, the more likelihood of Duncan or Martinez getting the job.

I've just said above, if the plan is to announce him next week, why? What's going to change over the weekend? Are people suddenly going to want him? Ballague hinted that Usmanov wants him, thus giving more credence to who really makes the decisions. However if it's going to get done I imagine it has to be done soon.

What's that phrase "time kills projects one day at a time" or whatever it is. I would imagine the enthuasiasm they have for him slips with each passing day.

I've sold many products/services and when you have the contract out waiting for it to be signed is the most nervous part and when it starts to drag you start to worry. It is quite common for you to get to the final stage, gain agreement, have gone through drafts and suddenly the plug will be pulled.

If Benitez isn't in place tonight I just can't see them doing it. I'd imagine they've bottled the decision and they won't get the courage to make it by Monday.

To be honest, it's a bit shambolic.

Mike Walker appointment was reasonable at the time - his track record was legit, no one was complaining. We must have gotten his evil twin or something as the extent of his failure was staggering - like he gave up on football the second he was appointed.

Harvey was a catastrophic appointment in hindsight - quieter times we might have gotten away with it and just been bad for a while, but really awful timing as the premier league era was dawning.

Agree with both points.

Imagine how we all felt that Carlo left us in the lurch.

Taking away all the negative connotations of the season just gone. Multiply it by 100. I felt like that when Kendall left. We were no.1 we were champions again. Then when Harvey arrived as much as it seemed 'natural' it was a terrible appointment. Everton went on a downward spiral as a club on and off the field - while other clubs embraced the PL and never looked back. Sadly we're still paying for it despite many false dawns.

Status
Not open for further replies.