New beginning, new captain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon it'll be Coleman for at least one more season.
I'm not sure he's suitable on the pitch but I'd say he's a great leader off the pitch.
He's also a connection all the way back to Moyes.
I also reckon he'll only play about 30% of the games and you'll see Carlo try out a few others over the season to establish a new club captain for next season.
If Richarlisons English keeps improving it could well be used as a bargaining chip to keep him at the club next season.

I don't think it matters as much as it used to but we have badly lacked on-field leadership and big personalities, hopefully that will change.

Coleman has had his day in the role, and his post-defeat rallying calls feel a bit token now, clearly few of his team mates were listening.

We should go left-field and give it to Richarlison, I think he would genuinely feel honoured by it and he is the fulcrum of the team anyway, he is as good a choice as any.

Holgate would be the other choice.

It's frankly insulting to see Sigurdsson get the armband, even once more is too much.

In Carlo Ancelloti’s book “Quiet Leadership“ he talks about two types of leaders on the pitch. Personality leaders and technical leaders. He uses Ibrahimovic and John Terry as examples of big personality leaders and Franco Baresi or Ronaldo as technical leaders. In our team the personality leaders would be Coleman (but will he be a regular) and Allan (will language be a problem and he’s new to the team?). Technical leaders would be James and Rich. Personally, I think CA would want a strong personality to be captain. I would choose Allan if his English was good, if not I would go for Holgate or Coleman.

Digne for me. I'd be surprised if Coleman is our first choice RB, he may start there but I think we will sign someone and swap them out fairly quickly. And we need the captain to be one of the first names on the team sheet.

I dont think Holgate is quite ready yet.

Ratcliffe talked about being made captain by Howard at age 23 in that psychology interview. Centre Half suits captaincy. In Italy they tend to (or at least used to) give it to the oldest player in the team - out of respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.