2023/24 Nathan Patterson

Nice try.

The reality is Gerrard, Benitez, Lampard and Dyche preferred other full backs to him.

The latest, who I'd suggest is the best at spotting whether a player can defend- prefer centre halfs and a 38 year old winger adapted left back to him.

If you don't think that's cause for concern, then fair enough - but he's our 4th choice full back. That's not progression.

His performance vs Fulham on the opening day was one of the worst displays from a full back I've ever witnessed, but I accept your point.

Generally, he's held his own - but like you say here;

... I've never seen him and thought he looks a good player either.

I think Dyche believes he doesn't offer enough going forward to compensate for what he thinks is a defensive liability.

Dyche is % football, which I think we've had to accept. We're relegation fodder, it's small margins - we can't take the risks we'd like. I wouldn't risk Patterson if Coleman was fit and stand by that, because the margins are what they are. Patterson needs an extended run in a settled side and we're chaotic.

It's all about staying in the league and a relegation scrap and a toxic Goodison is tough for any player.

I'd start Patterson now ahead of Godfrey and Young. I saw when he was playing for Scotland against pub sides he could cross a ball/was a presence down that side.

Ideally Coleman can get fit/see us through to the summer.

The reality is:

Gerard did play him 13 times when the club captain was injured. Aged 18 in SPL and Europa.

Patterson signed on 4 Jan, Benitez was sacked on 18 Jan 'but he preferred other full backs to him' for 2 whole weeks 😂

Lampard was a clown. I don't blame a kid aged 19/20 for not playing to his potential in that mess.

Dyche prefers CB who's been at fault for 3 goals in consecutive weeks and hasn't been over the halfway line since Christmas.

Our fans can't wait to get on young players backs. Must be horrible to play in that atmosphere.

I'd start Patterson now ahead of Godfrey and Young. I saw when he was playing for Scotland against pub sides he could cross a ball/was a presence down that side.

Ideally Coleman can get fit/see us through to the summer.
Even with his age and his own deficiencies (I've suggested replacing him for a while now), I totally agree that Coleman should start when he's fit.

But he isn't, so as you mention, Patterson should be starting ahead of the rest. Dyche thinks otherwise, and we know how rigid and stubborn he can be, so...

The reality is:

Gerard did play him 13 times when the club captain was injured. Aged 18 in SPL and Europa.

Patterson signed on 4 Jan, Benitez was sacked on 18 Jan 'but he preferred other full backs to him' for 2 whole weeks 😂

Lampard was a clown. I don't blame a kid aged 19/20 for not playing to his potential in that mess.

Dyche prefers CB who's been at fault for 3 goals in consecutive weeks and hasn't been over the halfway line since Christmas.

Our fans so quick to get on young players backs. Must be horrible to play in that atmosphere.

It's Patterson's third season here now and it seems he's never been so far away from the team, we can only guess as to why but I suspect it's because Dyche thinks he's a defensive liability.

Only Liverpool and Arsenal have conceded more goals from open play than us this season, so to be fair to Dyche - defensively we've been sound.

It's Patterson's third season here now and it seems he's never been so far away from the team, we can only guess as to why but I suspect it's because Dyche thinks he's a defensive liability.

Only Liverpool and Arsenal have conceded more goals from open play than us this season, so to be fair to Dyche - defensively we've been sound.

You're right. He definitely does think he needs to improve defensively.

My point is why can't the coach improve a young player on that part of his game.

When Patterson played he was never directly responsible for 3 goals in consecutive weeks, like Godfrey.

My guess is he sees Patterson's instincts to attack as risky for the defensive shape.

But when we need to win games (Palace), it's risk worth taking imo.

You're right. He definitely does think he needs to improve defensively.

My point is why can't the coach improve a young player on that part of his game.

When Patterson played he was never directly responsible for 3 goals in consecutive weeks, like Godfrey.

My guess is he sees Patterson's instincts to attack as risky for the defensive shape.

But when we need to win games (Palace), it's risk worth taking imo.

And yet he is 4th choice*

* Possibly 5th choice as I could see Garner playing that position before him.

Other than a handful of games under Lampard, every single manager he's had in professional football, including before Everton - have played other players ahead of him.

I'd be starting him the next game if Coleman isn't fully fit because we to score and he gives us a threat, but say what we want about Dyche, we've generally defended well under him because he knows how to setup a defence and he clearly doesn't rate Patterson - Godfrey and Young are ahead of him there.

It seems he's 4th choice right now.
For Lampards full season, he started the season, then got injured, then when fit came straight back in until he got injured again and then he came back in after that as well. So I’d argue lampard favoured him.(Whether we should trust Lampards judgement is another argument ). That first 10 games we also had like the 3rd or 4th best defence in the league so he was part of that.

I’d personally also disregard any manager pre Everton considering Tavernier is and remains the club captain and one of Rangers better performers so he wouldnt displace him at that age.

I think he should have been playing RW, like Coleman was for us at his age. I’ve said it since early in the season. He would offer much more going forward that Young and arguably Harrison at this point as he has a better cross and pass than both of them.

Coleman should be starting ahead of Godfrey right now. And Patterson in front of him would allow Patterson to learn in game from Coleman.

Last edited:
For Lampards full season, he started the season, then got injured, then when fit came straight back in until he got injured again and then he came back in after that as well. So I’d argue lampard favoured him.(Whether we should trust Lampards judgement is another argument ). That first 10 games we also had like the 3rd or 4th best defence in the league so he was part of that.

I’d personally also disregard any manager pre Everton considering Tavernier is and remains the club captain and one of Rangers better performers so he wouldnt displace him at that age.

I think he should have been playing RW, like Coleman was for us at his age. I’ve said it since early in the season. He would offer much more going forward that Young and arguably Harrison at this point as he has a better cross and pass than both of them.

Coleman should be starting ahead of Godfrey right now. And Patterson in front of him would allow Patterson to learn in game from Coleman.

When did Lampard have a full season?