2023/24 Nathan Patterson

I think defensively Patterson still has a lot to learn. He is a good footballer but tactically there are players who are more reliable still available. I think that's how dyche still sees it too
He does still have scope for improvement defensively, I think his defensive frailties have been greatly exaggerated. He’s far from a liability like some make out.

The tactical side you mention is where he can improve but it improves with games and more game experience so I’d play him to get that. Having said that, I think you’re right, when fit Dyche will play Young or Coleman ahead of him it seems - regardless of their (particularly Young’s) other weaknesses.

I think Nathan Patterson would benefit from a bit more help from Jack Harrison at times, much in the same way Mykolenko does with McNeil helping out.
I said that in the match day thread (about 30 secs before he went and scored). He points at the runners but doesn’t go with them, which leads Patterson being overloaded.

Essentially what we saw happening to Myko last season when he had Gray ahead of him.

He does still have scope for improvement defensively, I think his defensive frailties have been greatly exaggerated. He’s far from a liability like some make out.

The tactical side you mention is where he can improve but it improves with games and more game experience so I’d play him to get that. Having said that, I think you’re right, when fit Dyche will play Young or Coleman ahead of him it seems - regardless of their (particularly Young’s) other weaknesses.
Seamus is fully fit btw , he was an unused sub last night.

We only defend him as some idiots attack him as being rubbish - @davek the main culprit ....
I mark Patterson down as motm for every game he plays for this reason, not because I feel he deserve it, but to counterbalance the negativity. He is not perfect by far, and he shines more in his attacking role, but he is easily premier league standard as a complete right back.

Grealish's move where he drops his shoulder and then takes it to his right didn't work once on the day, and he was setting patte4son up for it every time without success. We've all seen him rinse other right backs week in week out with that move even when they know it is coming because he is that good with it.

I mark Patterson down as motm for every game he plays for this reason, not because I feel he deserve it, but to counterbalance the negativity. He is not perfect by far, and he shines more in his attacking role, but he is easily premier league standard as a complete right back.

Grealish's move where he drops his shoulder and then takes it to his right didn't work once on the day, and he was setting patte4son up for it every time without success. We've all seen him rinse other right backs week in week out with that move even when they know it is coming because he is that good with it.
Makes sense Gary you the BBC ratings man? 😂

Harsh, but true. Thought he played well but he needed to close Foden down much quicker, and that moment was the turning point.
Such a weird take on that goal to blame him for it. The corner was passed out and went to Foden, he closed foden down, foden played it back to Silva so Patto got back into position. (The same as we did on every corner and we were hailing them for pressing it all the way round shortly before that).

Then when he was back in position, he is marking his man, McNeil has the man behind him as per this still:

IMG_2505.jpeg

But then, McNeil broke rank and left his man to press with Myko. So Patto tried to cover his man who would be completely free in the box, as per this still:

IMG_2504.jpeg

Had McNeil not overcommitted, Patto wouldn’t have been left with 2 men, and wouldn’t have had to drop as deep, meaning he could get out to Foden quicker. (Foden just out of picture here).

Beto is also just stood in no man’s land, and should have pushed out wide when McNeil moved, but didn’t.

Only on the Nathan Patterson thread would a right back be described as being "back in position as per this still"

View attachment 239886
Wasn’t speaking to you. But it’s a corner. Same way Beto is not stood up front because the roles have changed for the set piece.

He had got back into his position in regard to the corner. Not into his specific right back slot for open play.

It’s quite basic footballing tactics and your comment just shows you lack that basic understanding.

Last edited:
Only on the Nathan Patterson thread would a right back be described as being "back in position as per this still"

View attachment 239886
I think it's well established that the lad has no positional sense.

At least 2 or 3 times in any game he plays he'll be pulled out of position leaving dangerous gaps.

IMO it's not any talent deficiency that's held him back - he seems to have ability - it's that indiscipline to keep shape.

Fair enough, he did well against Grealish (probably because he has no real pace, tbf) but his manager knows he isn't at the races in terms of keeping shape in a back line.

Such a weird take on that goal to blame him for it. The corner was passed out and went to Foden, he closed foden down, foden played it back to Silva so Patto got back into position. (The same as we did on every corner and we were hailing them for pressing it all the way round shortly before that).

Then when he was back in position, he is marking his man, McNeil has the man behind him as per this still:

View attachment 239880

But then, McNeil broke rank and left his man to press with Myko. So Patto tried to cover his man who would be completely free in the box, as per this still:

View attachment 239881
Had McNeil not overcommitted, Patto wouldn’t have been left with 2 men, and wouldn’t have had to drop as deep, meaning he could get out to Foden quicker. (Foden just out of picture here).

Beto is also just stood in no man’s land, and should have pushed out wide when McNeil moved, but didn’t.

Are you also the defence minister for Isreal?

Excuses and always someone elses fault.