2022/23 Nathan Patterson

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me Patterson tonight showed the best and worst aspects of his game. We know he’s got attacking ability and he showed that , but his understanding of his defensive role and ability to get back is still poor. I’m thinking particularly about the penalty. He moved about 10 yards too far up the pitch , then he tried to run full pelt to catch Maddison , who was Gardner‘s man , but Harvey Barnes was pulling away from him into the position he should have been at right back . It’s a bit bizarre in that he has pace when attacking but regularly fails to get back into position at a fast pace. You can’t blame him for the penalty of course, it’s just a worry for me that nobody is working with him on this weakness.

Well hes been injured for the best part of 14months on/off and weve had different managers over that time.

Hopefully he comes in now permanently and his weaknesses improve.

Could see a big change next season with him and Branthwaite part of a new back 4.

I think much the same about Patterson as I do about Mykolenko, he's not good enough, but, he's currently our best option. The big difference I see between the two of them is that Patterson has the potential to develop into a decent full back, while with Mykolenko what we are currently seeing is about as good as it's going to get. In a decent team he'd be a decent back up full back.

Watching him it felt like he was unwillingness to commit to tackles,

Constantly backed off and was beaten too easy,
Also was constantly charging out of position and slow to get back,

Does seem much better going forward though

Made an absolute show of Dyches decision to play holgate and Godfrey ahead of him.

He’s going to make the odd mistake, he’s a young player, but he was fine defensively against a fired up barnes and gave us something going forward.

Watch him get dropped against Brighton but Keane will keep the cb shirt.

Did reasonably well, not easy to come on in a game being played at that pace with so much at stake. Solid enough and hopefully did enough so we don’t see the blunder brothers Holgate or Godfrey get yet another chance of Coleman is going to be out for the remaining games.

Made an absolute show of Dyches decision to play holgate and Godfrey ahead of him.

He’s going to make the odd mistake, he’s a young player, but he was fine defensively against a fired up barnes and gave us something going forward.

Watch him get dropped against Brighton but Keane will keep the cb shirt.
He is going to be up against Mitoma which would be an interesting test for him, I can see Dyche putting Godfrey back in just on the pace basis alone tbh.

He is going to be up against Mitoma which would be an interesting test for him, I can see Dyche putting Godfrey back in just on the pace basis alone tbh.
That’s my concern with the manager - selecting what he see as the safest option when in reality it isn’t.

Mitoma will destroy what little Godfrey has left - Patterson isn’t a slouch and is a rb by trade - he should stay in the team.

That’s my concern with the manager - selecting what he see as the safest option when in reality it isn’t.

Mitoma will destroy what little Godfrey has left - Patterson isn’t a slouch and is a rb by trade - he should stay in the team.

Dyche is trying percentage football mate which I think is pragmatic/needed in a relegation fight.

He knows we are terrible in final third so he's pushing the midfield higher/support in numbers to compensate.

He wants defenders then to primarily defend - and I think Patterson isn't there yet. He's ghosted past pretty easily.

I can understand the idea of why he went Godfrey an Holgate who on their game are better at holding their space - but they've been so bad you have to give Patterson a go now.

Dyche is trying percentage football mate which I think is pragmatic/needed in a relegation fight.

He knows we are terrible in final third so he's pushing the midfield higher/support in numbers to compensate.

He wants defenders then to primarily defend - and I think Patterson isn't there yet. He's ghosted past pretty easily.

I can understand the idea of why he went Godfrey an Holgate who on their game are better at holding their space - but they've been so bad you have to give Patterson a go now.
Was genuinely starting to think i'd imagined this happening a few times last night. I agree with you that he deserves a go on the basis that the others have been so poor, but last night didn't do much to make me think he'd been treated unfairly if i'm honest. He still looks very raw, which is totally understandable, but not ideal in the circumstances.

Status
Not open for further replies.