Muhamed Besic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he needs to learn from our other DMs how to always be available to collect the ball from the centre backs. Too often there were acres of space ahead of the defence against spurs and it just allowed them to press us. Normally Barry is excellent at that but his lack of fitness left him exposed, I think.

Obviously he needs to cut out the weekly Yobo manoeuvre, but as with Stones and Barkley I think that'll come with age as they learn that they can't get away with things as they could in Hungary/ the youth leagues.

I think he needs to learn from our other DMs how to always be available to collect the ball from the centre backs. Too often there were acres of space ahead of the defence against spurs and it just allowed them to press us. Normally Barry is excellent at that but his lack of fitness left him exposed, I think.

I think he is already quite good at this, and against Wolsburg was constantly collecting the ball from the CBs and making himself available. Part of the reason he was MOTM for me.

Maybe he didn´t get on this as much against Spurs, but perhaps that could have been a tactical tweak as Barry was back to perform that function.

It's amasing how people can have such polarising views of Besic's game v Spurs. Other than Damo who's clearly on the wind up.

I rated his game on sunday. Thought he was getting around very well and being a covering defensive midfielder which is the role he is naturally suited.

A lot of the critisism seems to be aimed at him not doing the McCarthy role, even though he isnt that type of player and therefore of course he wasnt an engine in the middle. Thought he did just as well as barry anyway, without analysing their games.

I think he's been poor in general but I do think there could be a role for him as a centre back

He is tenacious but is not forward thinking enough for me, or if he is, he's not capable of pulling it off. His distribution is so-so, passing and decision making poor for an orthodox midfielder. Like I said, none of these issues would matter so much in a centre back role.

Tbh I really enjoyed his game at Sunday (except for that header). It was the first time since he left our club that I saw that confident, forward thinking play from him which I was used to. And its not just that he needs to adapt to league ( imo physically he did that by now, it's just the mental, fast thinking part he needs to learn now) he also needs to adapt much more to the midfield. The last 2 years he played just as CB, RB and now as a newcomer needs to play at mid with different teammates / different kind of partners at each game. I'm really keen to see him and Macca play 90 mins together, think they'd be fantastic.

Tbh I really enjoyed his game at Sunday (except for that header). It was the first time since he left our club that I saw that confident, forward thinking play from him which I was used to. And its not just that he needs to adapt to league ( imo physically he did that by now, it's just the mental, fast thinking part he needs to learn now) he also needs to adapt much more to the midfield. The last 2 years he played just as CB, RB and now as a newcomer needs to play at mid with different teammates / different kind of partners at each game. I'm really keen to see him and Macca play 90 mins together, think they'd be fantastic.
Think his only position with us is centre back as his weaknesses can be masked there. he could make a decent centre back actually, given time. I can certainly see some defensive skill set that could be developed in him. Certainly wouldn't want him anywhere near the centre of the park attempting to dictate play as I think its beyond him completely. Or maybe its the prospect of having a ball playing centre half (together with Stones) after having suffered for years with Jags and Distin's dubious ball skills that makes me hope it would work.

When Jags joined us he was billed as a potential midfielder - it took us about 5 mins to see his passing and distribution weren't up to standard and he's gone on to build a very successful career at centre back. A Besic Stones combination for the next few years sounds potentially plausible but Besic cant displace either Jags or Stones at present so no place in the side for him.

Last edited:
Think his only position with us is centre back as his weaknesses can be masked there. he could make a decent centre back actually, given time. Certainly wouldn't want him anywhere near the centre of the park attempting to dictate play as I think its beyond him completely.

When Jags joined us he was billed as a potential midfielder - it took us about 5 mins to see his passing and distribution weren't up to standard and he's gone on to build a very successful career at centre back. A Besic Stones combination for the next few years sounds potentially plausible but Besic cant displace either Jags or Stones at present so no place in the side for him.
I really disagree with You. His passing and distribution is one of his best abilities. He's got quite a vision at the field. Once his unique, sometimes bold youngster play clears out ( I can imagine the older players yelled at him a little after this match) he will be really good. And he was a good CB because before that at youth teams he played as DM, but his entire adult adult carrier was about being a CB till this summer.

I really disagree with You. His passing and distribution is one of his best abilities. He's got quite a vision at the field. Once his unique, sometimes bold youngster play clears out ( I can imagine the older players yelled at him a little after this match) he will be really good. And he was a good CB because before that at youth teams he played as DM, but his entire adult adult carrier was about being a CB till this summer.
I'm sorry we will have to agree to disagree. I just view him as a destroyer rather than a creator. His strengths are that he appears committed and chases and appears to mark well. Which could still be useful to us in some way...

And if he has played CB up until now, why should he suddenly become a midfielder?

I think he's been poor in general but I do think there could be a role for him as a centre back

He is tenacious but is not forward thinking enough for me, or if he is, he's not capable of pulling it off. His distribution is so-so, passing and decision making poor for an orthodox midfielder. Like I said, none of these issues would matter so much in a centre back role.

Disagree with you as well.

I've been impressed with Besic so far. The worrying thing about him is that he sometimes takes a risk with a drag back or turn with players around him when we don't have much cover, but he's only been caught out once. That was a suicidal flick in the Chelsea game which was clearly a mistake.

I've noticed that Besic is not going to be the type of player who is a box to box midfielder who will score goals, and play through balls. However, he seems to be very good at keeping things simple, he can get stuck in, and has a burst of pace along with decent skill, turning out of trouble. He won't suit every type of game but I think he has the potential to become one of our most important players in the next few seasons.

I think some people sometimes expect too much of certain players too. They are all different. Mirallas is a fanny (except for the derby games) who is capable of wonder goals and running at players. Barkley can run at players and score screamers as well. Both have way more match winning ability than Besic and McCarthy but those two are different types of players who are likely to give more consistent performances and contribute in other ways.

Can't understand the criticism of Besic. He did a good job, nothing spectacular, at Spurs. And if we're criticising his distribution then we'd better lay the same criticism at McCarthy's door as well. I'd be really surprised if the stats revealed that he gave the ball away on much more than a handful of occasions.

Obviously he needs to cut out the weekly Yobo manoeuvre, but as with Stones and Barkley I think that'll come with age as they learn that they can't get away with things as they could in Hungary/ the youth leagues.
Ok this conclude this atack on Besic with this sound normal Quote. He play in Hungary, he does not know players well neither the league , hes young,he clerly has quality , so please lets not be rags . If Barry can make crap like that after 1000 games in PL then Besic can make some mistakes in first few games in jump of huge quality from league to league. Watch Bosnia games where hes more relax then here and u will see ability .

Last edited:
Think his only position with us is centre back as his weaknesses can be masked there. he could make a decent centre back actually, given time. I can certainly see some defensive skill set that could be developed in him. Certainly wouldn't want him anywhere near the centre of the park attempting to dictate play as I think its beyond him completely. Or maybe its the prospect of having a ball playing centre half (together with Stones) after having suffered for years with Jags and Distin's dubious ball skills that makes me hope it would work.

Lol Gattuso was a DM, do u even know what is DM ?! He (Besic) have better ability to play then Gattuso or De Jong and i really do not know how u are such expert after handfull of games that u' a certin he can't play in any other position then CB. Some people i don't get . It s like we pay for him 20 mill and it s like he did not play in WC DM from a CB or RB position that he play in Hungary, and was praised by number of critics. In fact i think Martinez decide to buy him at half time against Argentina. And if Martinez do not know what hes doing and u do then [Poor language removed] it . Let s fired him and hire you. Give him a season ffs, or any other player.

Last edited:
Disagree with you as well.

I've been impressed with Besic so far. The worrying thing about him is that he sometimes takes a risk with a drag back or turn with players around him when we don't have much cover, but he's only been caught out once. That was a suicidal flick in the Chelsea game which was clearly a mistake.

I've noticed that Besic is not going to be the type of player who is a box to box midfielder who will score goals, and play through balls. However, he seems to be very good at keeping things simple, he can get stuck in, and has a burst of pace along with decent skill, turning out of trouble. He won't suit every type of game but I think he has the potential to become one of our most important players in the next few seasons.

I think some people sometimes expect too much of certain players too. They are all different. Mirallas is a fanny (except for the derby games) who is capable of wonder goals and running at players. Barkley can run at players and score screamers as well. Both have way more match winning ability than Besic and McCarthy but those two are different types of players who are likely to give more consistent performances and contribute in other ways.

Which is why I wouldnt play him in midfield. McCarthy is closer to being a box to box player, who will also get stuck in. His passing is decent enough. Barry shouldnt be playing IMO I'd rather see Osman at present or maybe even Pienaar there.

It may be that Besic's game is not entirely suited to the Premier League anyway. I mean a continental style 3-5-2 has been attempted a few times in England and is always exposed in the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.