Moyes: We Deserved It

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
We Deserved It – News Archive – News – evertonfc.com - The Official Website of Everton Football Club

David Moyes has hailed his players for securing a deserved draw in the 209th Merseyside derby.
Tim Cahill earned Everton a point with his headed goal three minutes from time, equalising Steven Gerrard's opener.
It was an outcome the manager was satisfied with - on an evening when he praised Howard Webb for his handling of the hotly-contested encounter.
Moyes said: "I thought the players showed how they have been playing recently, with confidence and for periods of the game we did very well. We had to defend very well as well but I was pleased with them.
"I thought the draw was a fair result. We got the goal we deserved and I was pleased.
"I thought the referee had a really good game tonight. The only thing that disappointed me was the Steven Pienaar booking for a foul on Fernando Torres because I didn't think that was a booking. But other than that I thought he had a really good game."
Moments before Gerrard gave Liverpool the lead in the 67th minute Everton had a strong claim for a penalty turned down when Victor Anichebe appeared to be bundled over by Martin Skrtel.
But Moyes refused to dwell on the incident, also pointing out there was a Liverpool penalty claim for a challenge on Fernando Torres by Man-of-the-Match Phil Jagielka that was waved away.
He added: "They had a clear-cut penalty kick and we did as well. I thought ours was a pen and it was much easier to see that one at our end than their end but overall I thought the result was right and the Everton players deserved it."
The point maintains Everton's unbeaten start to 2009.
He added: "It is another point against a good team who are working hard to try and win the championship and buying players with that in mind. We're not, so it shows how far Everton have come and the stability that we have at the Club allows us to come to places like this and get results. It is another game (against Liverpool) on Sunday. We're at half-time and we will get ready for the next one from tomorrow onwards."

We did, despite whatever the possesion stats are, we played well, with a weakened team, We defended fantastically, and most teams once they concede against the top 4 just crumble and conceded another goal or two - we didnt.

I liked the stat on setanta sports, that our ENTIRE first team last night came to a total of £26 million, £1.5 million more than torres cost the [Poor language removed]. And about £18 million less than Torres and Keane combined.

Status
Not open for further replies.