Votes: 33 2.1%
  • From within the club

Votes: 60 3.8%
  • Other

Votes: 108 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I realise we're the club with the least experience of relegation of anyone and I am proud of that. But there's a level of fear about it which I think is over the top.

I mean 1) it's hard to get relegated, a club with our team and our budget shouldn't have anything to fear. I mean Mike Walker never sent us down, ffs and he was trying really hard. If Martinez can keep up last year's wigan, he can keep up us and 2) when a big team gets relegated they tend to come straight back up again rather than decline. It's not the end of the world by any means.
When you look at the players in that Wigan team though, they're actually not that bad are they? There is some very good players there to be fair and IMO he has a better squad than a number of teams above him in the League. With that in mind, has he and IS he getting the best out of them? He's taking that team down next week barring a miracle and I'm sorry but that's pretty piss poor.

I'd hate to judge Martinez just on Wigan's performances in the PL and say that's all he's good for - a relegation battler. How well would Moyes have done in the PL with Preston? Come on - the best they would have done is hang around 2 or 3 years at the bottom end of things before the inevitable relegation. So stop making up this not-good-enough lark. Martinez did a pretty good job at Swansea as well - in fact pretty much on a par with Moyes' Preston years. To beat the likes of City (and, if you want to be reminded again Everton at Goodison) to lift the FA Cup must count for something.

good post that cuts to the issue for me - people expect a manager currently experiencing PL success to come, there isn't one and there never is when a club with a recent history of 6/7th needs a new manager. It's like Utd fans saying (legitimately?) Moyes can't be the right man as he has never finished top 3 in last couple of years - but there is no-one available that has and you have to appoint someone who has shown something at a level below and give them their opportunity - so long as it is their opportunity, not a second or third opportunity.

I'd happily give Martinez a go, equally happy to look at this perraira although I don't know anything about him. The type of manager I couldn't stand is one that has been given multiple chances and still been mediocre ala Hughes, Bruce etc. and makes a living out of the manager merry go round.

Top 8 side and we're begging for a guy that has relegated the FA Cup winners.. ugh.

Last year they had the smallest turnover and their wage bill was the fourth smallest ahead of wolves, norwich and swansea (and unlike the other three they work on a negative net spend and have since jewell left). You'd imagine that norwich and swansea will have caught up on wages this year so it's probable that only reading pay their players less.

Shows you the constraints he has been working under, far bigger constraints than Moyes it sounds.

When you look at the players in that Wigan team though, they're actually not that bad are they? There is some very good players there to be fair and IMO he has a better squad than a number of teams above him in the League. With that in mind, has he and IS he getting the best out of them? He's taking that team down next week barring a miracle and I'm sorry but that's pretty piss poor.

They don't have a single defender worthy of sitting on the bench for our reserves.

Admittedly because Martinez couldn't buy one, but still.

good post that cuts to the issue for me - people expect a manager currently experiencing PL success to come, there isn't one and there never is when a club with a recent history of 6/7th needs a new manager. It's like Utd fans saying (legitimately?) Moyes can't be the right man as he has never finished top 3 in last couple of years - but there is no-one available that has and you have to appoint someone who has shown something at a level below and give them their opportunity - so long as it is their opportunity, not a second or third opportunity.

I'd happily give Martinez a go, equally happy to look at this perraira although I don't know anything about him. The type of manager I couldn't stand is one that has been given multiple chances and still been mediocre ala Hughes, Bruce etc. and makes a living out of the manager merry go round.

well put mate

Status
Not open for further replies.