Monday night’s performance and what it’s shown – Everton FC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number_25

Player Valuation: £50m
Hey guys, I've just done an article for GetRealPremier.com.

I'm going to post it on here with quotes, but I would really appreciate it if you was to click on the URL to get my hits up.

Thanks a lot.

Goodison Park was absolutely rocking come the final whistle as Everton dismantled Fergie’s title favourites.

Against all odds Marouane Fellaini’s headed goal after 57 minutes was enough to finish off Manchester United and give Everton a well needed confidence boost before the new season gets into the full swing of things.

There were a few things which really stuck out for me tonight.

1. Our Dependable Defence.

When it comes to Everton, there’s one thing you can pretty much always count on – we’re going to be strong and well organised at the back.The days of David Weir, Richard Gough, Alec Cleland and Micheal Ball are now well and truly gone.
David Moyes has managed to build a formidable brick wall which consists of Sylvain Distin, Phil Jagielka, Tony Hibbert and Leighton Baines.

This is a defence which has gelled over many years and now has a perfect, almost sub-conscious understanding on where everyone needs to go and what they need to do.

Tonight Manchester United’s ‘super attack’ was unable to break them down, Distin looked absolutely incredible at tracking back and Phil Jagielka put his head where most players wouldn’t put their foot.

I’ve watched a lot of Tony Hibbert pre-season and it looks as if he’s finally worked out where to position himself on the pitch. I can’t see him being caught in no-mans-land anymore – he proved this with his exceptional display against the United wing.

A good defence means that you don’t concede goals, and when you don’t concede goals – you don’t lose.

2. The worlds introduction to Marouane Fellaini.

Marouane Fellaini’s £15m transfer from Standard Liége in September 2008 came under a bit of a haze. Only the world’s most knowledgeable football fans knew who he was, and at first we as Toffee’s didn’t really understand why we had broken our transfer record for a player who had no previous experience in the Premier League.

At first he looked slow, ungainly and a bit too aggressive – all signs pointed another Per Krøldrup. He had trouble communicating with the rest of the squad and also match officials – this meant that he amassed 10 yellow cards in 17 games.

For this he served a lengthy ban, yet after his English started to improve so did his performances on the pitch. So much so that he was voted Everton’s Young Player of the Season after his first season at the club.

He’s repaid Moyes’ loyalty and has become one of Everton’s finest players.

However up to tonight, not many people were aware how much of a good footballer he actually is.

He was Everton’s engine – he possesses the ability to keep the side ticking over, he gave Manchester United’s defence real problems as he turned them inside out and consistently looked to be open for a pass. An Everton fan which I spoke to about him after the game said –

“It was as if he had a funnel from his head to his feet, that’s how clinical he was at taking the ball downâ€.

It’s a fine sight for our club that we have a player that can give us different options, whether it’s onto the head or down on the floor, he’s technically good enough to deal with any situation.

Unless we sell him of course…

3. Forward thinking tactics from David Moyes

I’ve been watching Everton for a few seasons now, and I have to say that this is easily one of the best attacks we’ve been blessed with.

I know most people believe that our side of 2007/08 which consisted of James Vaughan, Andrew Johnson, Aiyegbeni Yakubu and Victor Anichebe was our strongest front-line we’ve had during the Moyes era – though they also seemed to forget that neither Johnson nor Yakubu were able to gel together.

Because of this David Moyes was restricted to a 4-5-1. This meant that we were unable to really use the ball with any real attacking intent.

Now we have the likes of Nikica Jelavic, Steven Naismith, Apostolos Vellios and Victor Anichebe to look at if we need a goal or two. These players plus the creative flair of Steven Pienaar and Kevin Mirallas and the hard work from Marouane Fellaini will give us chances – and chances mean goals.

Jelavic’s fine performances last season had shown that he is able to score goals on a consistent basis – something which we haven’t had for quite some time at Goodison Park.

Apostolos Vellios looks like a player who can grab a few when needed, especially from the bench.

Steven Naismith is a similar type of player to the departed Tim Cahill, he also has good experience with playing with Jelavic during his time at Glasgow Rangers.

After tonight’s showing, I can’t see why we would have any issues when it comes to goals, we have so many creative attacking players now.

5th place has to be a target for us this season, we need to move on from the past 3 stagnant and frustrating years and push on – become competitive again and give a few clubs a run for their (poorly spent) money.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

- Keiron O’Shea

http://www.getrealpremier.com/2012/08/21/monday-nights-performance-and-what-its-shown-everton-fc/

Nice read that mate, I keep getting excited when people list the new found attacking flair in our midfield, oh and I clicked the link

Good read lid. Wish it was longer.....although i am amazed at your ability to manage to include 30 sections in your contents for an 800 word article. :p

Don't take this personally mate it was a good read but i think you're getting caught up in the emotion of last night a bit too much.

We played well but it wasn't perfect and it could easily of been a different result another night.

We always raise our game against top teams at Goodison at least once a season. We need to show the real changes against the bottom teams.

Don't take this personally mate it was a good read but i think you're getting caught up in the emotion of last night a bit too much.

We played well but it wasn't perfect and it could easily of been a different result another night.

We always raise our game against top teams at Goodison at least once a season. We need to show the real changes against the bottom teams.

I take all critisim on board and try to learn from it.

But after hearing what you said, I hate you.

Nah, but seriously it was just a outlook of what could happen over the season. I'm still quite rusty at writing so I've not really reached the peak.

good read mate, enjoyed it, post more if you do them

(I clicked the link and a picture of a monkey masturbating came up)

Nice piece mate although I agree to an extent with DBRAG - last night was an exceptional performance and one swallow doesn't make a Summer...

Also feels very wierd praising Moyes for forward thinking tactics! Felli and Jelavic in no way gelled last night. Felli was the target man and Jelli was frozen out. That partnership needs a bit of work and maybe a Mirallas or a Pienaar feeding Jelli (see what I did there? b)) may give us more options. Liked the sentiment tho and the first 2 sections were spot on. ;)

Over egging the pudding for me.

Previous sh1t starts have been couched with "wait till we've played 10 games" comments if it was valid then it's valid now.

We beat a ManU side that had to bring old man Scholes back last year so bereft of ideas are they and Rooney's transition into an overblown lazy get means they've had to buy RVP and Kagawa so they can ship him out a la Beckham.

They're in transition and we did well, but I'd keep my powder dry for a while we've had these shooting star games before then returned to mediocrity just as quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.