2020/21 Moise Kean

Status
Not open for further replies.
His movement and awareness are not shocking. The goal against Bournemouth is an example but even tonight he made the right run to get on two headers and he even positioned himself well right before the penalty but Gordon poked it away. Yeah it stinks when he or anyone misses chances but people struggle to view that as anything but a negative and it isn't always.
I love it when you make out like it’s other people who don’t understand football. Bless you for trying. I don’t mean his movement in the 6 yard box, that isn’t bad, I mean his movement for the other 90 minutes of the game. He’s constantly behind the play, not making the runs that create space and never knowing whether to drop off or go in behind. It’s like playing centre forward by numbers. He’s a talented lad clearly, but he won’t make it here if he doesn’t improve that aspect of his game tenfold.

I love it when you make out like it’s other people who don’t understand football. Bless you for trying. I don’t mean his movement in the 6 yard box, that isn’t bad, I mean his movement for the other 90 minutes of the game. He’s constantly behind the play, not making the runs that create space and never knowing whether to drop off or go in behind. It’s like playing centre forward by numbers. He’s a talented lad clearly, but he won’t make it here if he doesn’t improve that aspect of his game tenfold.
I still disagree and for me at least the movement in the box is the crucial part.

He can score with his shorts down so long as it goes in Dave for God's sake

He should be sacked for that penalty.

Look at the state of this run up for the pen.

8a4a3a9e7ac6560893606baba28b8cfc.gif

I'm not though. I've said similar for DCL and look how that went. Missing chances in isolation does not make you a bad striker. A run of misses is different.

i am pretty sure you’ve argued Kean was better than DCL on multiple occasions and not just with me. DCL always showed promise as he had the basics and understanding with an eager willingness to learn. His development was apparent quickly. Kean is nowhere near, he’s got too much to do.

I can't help but feel like we are in the same spot with Kean now that we were with Dom three years ago except that Kean has a semi-respectable goal scoring return (based on minutes played). And yet no lessons seem to have been learned.

He reminds me of a more exegarrated (and I have to reluctantly say at this stage inferior) version of Lukaku. His touch and decision making are poor. He comes alive in the box. I thought the 2nd header was really unlucky, the first he should bury but the movement is good. Could have had a hatrick but was awful for lathe stretches. It's really whether Everton want to persevere with such a striker. No easy answer.

i am pretty sure you’ve argued Kean was better than DCL on multiple occasions and not just with me. DCL always showed promise as he had the basics and understanding with an eager willingness to learn. His development was apparent quickly. Kean is nowhere near, he’s got too much to do.
This is revisionist history about Dom at least in my experiences on the forum. Yes some people rated him but the prevailing sentiment entering last season was that he was not and never would be good enough.

He reminds me of a more exegarrated (and I have to reluctantly say at this stage inferior) version of Lukaku. His touch and decision making are poor. He comes alive in the box. I thought the 2nd header was really unlucky, the first he should bury but the movement is good. Could have had a hatrick but was awful for lathe stretches. It's really whether Everton want to persevere with such a striker. No easy answer.
It's such a lazy comparison but I agree. A key difference being Lukaku joined us with over 100 first team appearances across the various clubs he was at. Kean I think had 30 before last season. I think we have to persevere to be honest.

I don't think anyone has got it in for the lad either. But young players have to show some signs of why they're in the first team. You can rack off why Nkoundou, Gordon etc get game time, as they're showing flashes of something that's makes you go "Ah I see".

That something doesn't even have to be top quality, whether it's work rate, possession, pace, aggression - something that makes them standout.

I see zero in Kean. Absolutely nothing. If anyone says "pace and power" I'd say when?

I'll say it again... Anichebe looked better and offered more at the same age.

I can't help but feel like we are in the same spot with Kean now that we were with Dom three years ago except that Kean has a semi-respectable goal scoring return (based on minutes played). And yet no lessons seem to have been learned.

The lesson that needs to be learned from DCL is that the club need to buy competent players so we don't have to have non-scoring strikers up front for years on end, finishing in midtable as a result.

Status
Not open for further replies.