Missing a bit of height...

Status
Not open for further replies.

voodoobloo

Player Valuation: £2.5m
I know it's a tired cliche and I know RM likes us to pass on the floor, but with the two new signings and the Milkman leaving, are we a bit short as a team?

Howard, Stones, Jagielka, Coleman, Barkley, Lukaku, Barry, Gibson, Mirallas, McCarthy not to mention signing a new CB....

Howard, Stones, Jagielka, Coleman, Barkley, Lukaku, Barry, Gibson, Mirallas, McCarthy not to mention signing a new CB....

Coleman, Mirallas and McCarthy are not tall. Jags, Barry and Gibson (like he even plays) are 6' on the dot, so not exactly giants, and only the former can jump properly. And Howard's a keeper.

You need an aerial presence. Height isn't necessarily everything, Rom is 6'3 but useless in the air, Cahill was only 5'10 but immense at leaping over any CB. Since Fellaini left I'd say only maybe Stones and Jags could claim to be an aerial presence. That is not enough, in my opinion, and it hurts us during set pieces (both our own and the opposition's).

Coleman, Mirallas and McCarthy are not tall. Jags, Barry and Gibson (like he even plays) are 6' on the dot, so not exactly giants, and only the former can jump properly. And Howard's a keeper.

You need an aerial presence. Height isn't necessarily everything, Rom is 6'3 but useless in the air, Cahill was only 5'10 but immense at leaping over any CB. Since Fellaini left I'd say only maybe Stones and Jags could claim to be an aerial presence. That is not enough, in my opinion, and it hurts us during set pieces (both our own and the opposition's).

OS lists gibson as 3CM taller than Jags. Interestinglyall the players I listed are shown as 6ft or more on the OS.
As a side note the OS is really crap. Some players stats are listed, some not, some metric some imperial - consistency is not that hard.

I thought coates from the red [Poor language removed] was outstanding in his few games for sunderland .. 4 mill as well imo a bargain

I thought coates from the red [Poor language removed] was outstanding in his few games for sunderland .. 4 mill as well imo a bargain

Fair point. He was excellent for Sunderland, after a poor start under Liverpool.

I think every team needs a couple of aerial powerhouses to be honest. Even Barca have Busquets and Pique.

Interesting post but i look at it another way, we should be good enough on the floor to counter a big long ball side. Barcelona would not adapt their game to play Wimbledon of the 1980's or West Brom today.

The point i'm trying to make is, our players must not be good enough on the floor if we try to match big teams.

Both Stones, Jags, Barkley, McCarthy and Lukaku are all close to or over 6 foot with Rom and Ross both being over 6,2.

We're really only small on the wings and at fullback which most teams are especially the good ones. Even Chelsea have Fabregas, Oscar, Willian and Hazard who aren't the tallest.

I do however think Robles looks more dominant at crosses and corners than Howard which helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.