Mick Lyons

Status
Not open for further replies.

gianthogweed

Player Valuation: £25m
Former Everton captain Mick Lyons has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.

And doctors say the brain damage was caused by the constant heading of balls. Lyons, 70, said: "I loved heading the ball. I’d go up for all the corners. When you headed it, it was thud, thud, thud. I used to get quite a few stitches in the face through heading."

"My memory has not been fantastic over the years. I think, ‘What did I do then?’ but I just get through OK. I don’t worry at all about it. To me, it was part of the job.”

The former central defender added he does not want heading banned from football but he does think it could be restricted in training. He said: "We used to do lots in training but it is part of the game that we love. There’s nothing better than seeing the wingers going down the line and crossing it and the centre forward heading it into the top corner.

"That’s excitement. That’s what the game is all about. I just loved playing football, especially for Everton Football Club."

Lyons’ daughter Francesca first noticed his condition when people would come up to him and he did not remember who they were.

She said: "He says it’s from heading the ball but he remembers everything from years back – football matches and scores."

Lyons made 473 appearances for Everton between 1970 and 1982, scoring 59 goals. He later played for Sheffield Wednesday, was player-manager at Grimsby Town and coached in Brunei and Australia, where he now lives. His family became concerned after his 68th birthday and arranged tests in Australia.

Former Everton captain Mick Lyons has been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s.

And doctors say the brain damage was caused by the constant heading of balls. Lyons, 70, said: "I loved heading the ball. I’d go up for all the corners. When you headed it, it was thud, thud, thud. I used to get quite a few stitches in the face through heading."

"My memory has not been fantastic over the years. I think, ‘What did I do then?’ but I just get through OK. I don’t worry at all about it. To me, it was part of the job.”

The former central defender added he does not want heading banned from football but he does think it could be restricted in training. He said: "We used to do lots in training but it is part of the game that we love. There’s nothing better than seeing the wingers going down the line and crossing it and the centre forward heading it into the top corner.

"That’s excitement. That’s what the game is all about. I just loved playing football, especially for Everton Football Club."

Lyons’ daughter Francesca first noticed his condition when people would come up to him and he did not remember who they were.

She said: "He says it’s from heading the ball but he remembers everything from years back – football matches and scores."

Lyons made 473 appearances for Everton between 1970 and 1982, scoring 59 goals. He later played for Sheffield Wednesday, was player-manager at Grimsby Town and coached in Brunei and Australia, where he now lives. His family became concerned after his 68th birthday and arranged tests in Australia.
He’s a genuine goodison hero, best wishes to him and his family for what the future holds.

As posted earlier in the thread that mistakenly announced his death, he was one of my favourites. Would give his all for Everton.

It was initially said he had dementia. Alzheimer's is a slow burner so a long difficult time ahead for him and the family. It can go on for many years

My Mam passed last year from vascular dementia which is a much more aggressive form. The prognosis is about five years which is roughly how long it took to bring an active intelligent 89 year old to being unable to put a sentence together and then her peaceful death at 94.

My thoughts and my prayers are with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.