Brian Labone
Leighton Baines

Derek Temple
Peter Reid
Colin Harvey
Johnny Morrisey

Wayne Rooney
Joe Royle

All but 2 are England internationals, no square pegs in round holes. Amazing that a city like ours has failed to produce a truly top drawer keeper.

Loved all that team, but in all honesty, baines is a better player than Harper.
Who had the best moustache though?
article-P-9e31374d-1682-42b4-bfac-daaf3a06f066-1wPVEJkk6H74b208e3487adad589-271_634x356.jpg
80775.jpg

Loved all that team, but in all honesty, baines is a better player than Harper.
I disagree. Baines has achieved nothing and never had to play in a team where most games mattered and the pressure was on. Personally I think he's been hopeless in the times when it was on: cup final v Chelsea; las season's semi finals. Someone like Harper may not have been a regular in a great team but he's at least the equal of Baines and his winners medals put him in front, imo.

I disagree. Baines has achieved nothing and never had to play in a team where most games mattered and the pressure was on. Personally I think he's been hopeless in the times when it was on: cup final v Chelsea; las season's semi finals. Someone like Harper may not have been a regular in a great team but he's at least the equal of Baines and his winners medals put him in front, imo.
Very difficult to compare players from different eras. Personally I believe baines would have fitted seamlessly into that 80s side. Better than bailey, not far off vandenhauwe. I think Harper, who was a useful squad player along with Richardson, would have been nothing more than that in the current setup. his medals were due to the terrific squad he was a part of rather than his own ability.

Very difficult to compare players from different eras. Personally I believe baines would have fitted seamlessly into that 80s side. Better than bailey, not far off vandenhauwe. I think Harper, who was a useful squad player along with Richardson, would have been nothing more than that in the current setup. his medals were due to the terrific squad he was a part of rather than his own ability.

He was a very good player. HK took him everywhere with him bar Spain.

If you look at the other names on the best ever M'side XI they all have one thing in common: they're winners. I dont see that in Baines. And besides that I think it's very hard to disentangle his ability and contribution to Everton from Pienaar's.

Baines has been a very good player for us but given way too much weight in terms of his status.

Took over from Cole as the best English left back. Great free kicks. Solid penalty taker. Tireless overlapping on the flank with excellent crossing. Ok defensively and lacking in height and strength but a very good all round player. Harper was versatile, good team man who was prepared to sit on the bench and come in when needed. Not outstanding at anything. Fortunate the part of the best blues side I have witnessed

Status
Not open for further replies.