Memories of Mike Walker

Status
Not open for further replies.
This doesn't surprise me! Also heard he was useless in the dressing room, and didn't really give proper team talks. Especially that Wimbledon game, didn't he say [Poor language removed] all and just left the players to it at half-time (or is that just a rumour)??

Wouldn't surprise me mate. Southall, Watson and Snodin have all spoke out about him at some point or another.

Somebody mentioned us beating Swindon before the end of that 93-94 season, 6-2 I think. Didn't we also beat Chelsea at Goodison 4-2?

I remember his first game in charge anyway, cos I was there. It was Bolton away in the FA Cup in Jan 94, we drew 1-1 then got beat 3-2 in the replay at Goodison. That was when Bolton weren't in the top flight, but were seen as a bit of a giant killing club. However I think we were 2-0 up at Goodison so was gutted when we got knocked out

Swindon was his first home league game and yeah we won 6-2 and yeah we won 4-2 against Chelsea ( Brett Angel was knocking about at this stage if I remember correctly )

Yes that West Ham game was Walker's penultimate game, and his first win of the season. A midweek game at Goodison. Must have been early to mid November. We'd previously drawn 1-1 at home with Arsenal the weekend before, then drew at Norwich the weekend after. When he was sacked, Walker commented that we were turning a corner and he should have been given more time.

Rotle was appointed but I remember having to wait a while for his first game. Must have been on an international break...

That West Ham game was played in misty weather the crowd were immense that night in fact all that season even when Walker was in charge the crowd got right behind the team. We were crap that night but won. I thought we got beat away at Norwich 2-0 and he was sacked a day later but it may have been a draw like you said.

My memory of him was when I met him at a restaurant in Cyprus 8 years ago. One of the party I was with said 'we have one of your ex clubs fans here!'
'Oh yeah which one' I replied 'Everton', to which he said 'well you should buy me a drink!'
'You should buy me one after your performance there!'
Needless to say that was the last we spoke to each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.