Media Bias and its effect if any on Overall Outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be frank, I'm more concerned by those in the media who speak poorly about us that have played for us. I'm talking about people like Alan Stubbs and Leon Osman, fellows who were deeply ordinary players playing for deeply ordinary Everton sides in a period of historical underachievement and stagnation. The type of fellas who would never have played in an ambitious or successful period in the club's history but who could tenuously bask in the reflected association with Dean, Ball, and Southall.

The only Everton people I want talking about us in the media are fellas who won big with us - and there are not many of those left now. Funnily enough, Andy Gray has improved immeasurably on us since we got Carlo in and showed a bit of seriousness. He now talks about us in terms of higher standards and expectations. Under Moyes, through no real fault of the manager, we were reinvented as a sort of storied Coventry City, plucky underdogs with a bit of history. Since then, the narrative - even from our own - has been that we had to sell the likes of Rooney and 7th would be a great season.

So, until we can get our own house in order, I wouldn't be too bothered by other clubs' moutpieces.
Andy has been a massive Blue for a long time

Which was a bit rich seeing as they were taking 2 minutes to take a long throw in, the lad taking it was getting a towel and towelling down the football for every throw......
I 100% agree with you, it's horrible and to stop all the time wasting I would make games 80 minutes long but the clock is only ticking when the ball is in play. They can take as long as they want with the throw ins and goal kicks the cheating bar stewards.

Manchester. Utd are the biggest team globally, but domestically Liverpool are the biggest team, and why litter the tv with Sunderland or West Brom pundits when the biggest audience want to “relate”.

That said, some of the dross like McManaman, Murphy, Ferdinand and Redknapp deserve no part on my TV.
But take away the top players and people like Liane Sanderson who literally has a face and is raging whenever she’s on tv or Clinton Morrison, o have no hope that Sky will stop using them.
because you are hiring the individual and their capability as a pundit not what they may have been part of years ago when they were carried by other more able team mates. Some can hardly string a coherent sentence together that isn't hyperbole and cliche ridden dross.

Leicester have won the league recently. Whether we like it or not, that means they have modern history of following through and becoming winners. So it's plausible that they could win again, in the minds of pundits. We, by comparison, have a modern history of abject failure and a puffed-up pride that's weirdly needy, as if only the approval and admiration of others can validate our sense of self. Let's just win some trophies.

I remember how ridiculous the idea of Manchester United qualifying for the European Cup seemed in 1992. Twelve months later, it was a reality and soon the idea of the European Cup without them seemed even more ludicrous. We've got to change the narrative ourselves. A pat on the head from Carra cannot do that work for us.
I can see your point on this mate and like others i dont crave the same hype other clubs get i quite enjoy going under the radar.
This is more a comment on the media than outrage etc, but i chucked sky sports news on this morning and they were talking about united being title contenders and as a lad said before leicester were being commented on too.
Spurs were being named as genuine contenders about a month again and probably will again if they win the next 2 games, chelsea had it for a week or 2 also before we beat them.
All of these sides have barely been in a better current situation/placing than ourselves either, you can say the same for villa who go above united if they win there 2 games in hand.

The reality actually is liverpool wont have a contender as everyone below can take points off each other.
It will be interesting to see if we are 3 points off top still after 19 games and if we begin to get talked about then

Andy has been a massive Blue for a long time
Yes, but he's often dismissed us in the past - mainly because he knew deep down we were not set up to be anything other than also-rans. I notice a change in his attitude since Carlo came in. In the past, what he and his team-mates did in the 1980s was seen, by himself, as a "one-off", never to be done by Everton again. Now, I sense a dawning realisation in Andy that Moshiri and Carlo are deadly serious.

Our former players have a tough line to straddle, between wanting what's best for the club and not offending Bill Kenwright. I expect the quality of their analysis will improve as Bill recedes into history.

I can see your point on this mate and like others i dont crave the same hype other clubs get i quite enjoy going under the radar.
This is more a comment on the media than outrage etc, but i chucked sky sports news on this morning and they were talking about united being title contenders and as a lad said before leicester were being commented on too.
Spurs were being named as genuine contenders about a month again and probably will again if they win the next 2 games, chelsea had it for a week or 2 also before we beat them.
All of these sides have barely been in a better current situation/placing than ourselves either, you can say the same for villa who go above united if they win there 2 games in hand.

The reality actually is liverpool wont have a contender as everyone below can take points off each other.
It will be interesting to see if we are 3 points off top still after 19 games and if we begin to get talked about then
I don't think anybody sees us as title contenders, not even ourselves. Sure, we are higher in the table than some clubs who are touted as contenders, such as Spurs, but there's a pretty good chance Spurs will be ahead of us in February (when the real title talk will start if Liverpool are not away in the distance) and stay the course better than us. Of course we've beaten Spurs and are ahead of them right now, but they were in a Champions League final two years ago and the media hang on to these things when grasping desperately for somebody to challenge Liverpool.

As you rightly say, there won't be a title race in all likelihood. But the media have a vested interest in one, so Spurs, because they once played in the Big Cup final, and Leicester, because they once won the PL against the odds, are held up as tantalising possibilities. They've lost Arsenal and are soon to lose Chelsea to this debate, so needs must. We're just a curio, an oddity. But a good second half to the season and two good transfer windows would have the media whispering our name come September...

There was loads of fuss over us at the start of the season then we fell off a cliff, it may not’ve been why but I’d rather we stayed under the radar, and keep picking up results unnoticed

Let them talk when Seamus is hoisting the pot over his head

Yes, but he's often dismissed us in the past - mainly because he knew deep down we were not set up to be anything other than also-rans. I notice a change in his attitude since Carlo came in. In the past, what he and his team-mates did in the 1980s was seen, by himself, as a "one-off", never to be done by Everton again. Now, I sense a dawning realisation in Andy that Moshiri and Carlo are deadly serious.

Our former players have a tough line to straddle, between wanting what's best for the club and not offending Bill Kenwright. I expect the quality of their analysis will improve as Bill recedes into history.

Yes, he's been critical of Everton's lack of progress over the years, but that has nothing to do with his love for the club. Richard Keys took every opportunity
to refer to that in a friendly, mocking way long before Moshiri and Carlo came.

Gray has said that his biggest regret is leaving Everton when Lineker was signed and that he wishes he had stayed and fought for his place and I've heard him say that he's an Everton supporter.

Who better qualified to comment on Everton v West Ham than an ex RS???

Just why?!??
DA57A956-66F4-43D7-A697-0F0660FF992D.jpeg

And people wonder why the media brush over us when looking at plausible "title contenders." We're a work in progress, nothing more.

Status
Not open for further replies.