Match of the Day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're talking about the 80's version when it was just Jimmy Hill presenting and summarising then you're right, it was much better.

People forget as he turned into a parody of himself, but Jimmy Hill was a really good broadcaster
He was a superb communicator. Watch him in the 70s and early 80s. A natural. A hugely significant figure in the history of English football. By the time he was back as a pundit in the 1990s, he was a circus act.

I can't agree with the comments that the game warranted limited coverage by MOTD. Many millions of fans can't get to the game, and don't have SKY or BT. They're entitled to see their club's players in a game, to see how they perform, and equally to watch good defending, even if these things don't always make for 'excitement ' or whatever ticks the boxes for the editors.
Agreed. And why shouldn't people get a proper chunk of highlights to make their minds up about the game? I mean, most football games don't merit TV coverage, but if you're going to cover them then let people see a fair whack of it and draw their own conclusions. The pundits have ruined coverage. You see more of Ian Wright than you do of the players. Apparently, BBC are limited to 7 minutes of highlights per game for most matches by the TV contract. No wonder we have the talking heads inflicted on us.

If it had not been for Jimmy Hill; None of these so-called footballers would have made a living out of the beautiful game. Jimmy Hill was set to
call our footy players out on strike (Good Labour-man Jimmy) He won the day and Johnny Haynes became the first £100 per week player. 1961,
I remember the great times starting at Everton, and Liverpool FC spending their 8th successive season in the second division, wonderful days
from Jimmy Hill, I remember him congratulating Everton on winning the 1962/63 1st Division Table he played for Fulham against us that day.
Jimmy was spot on about the players deserving a fair deal, but I doubt even Jimmy would have supported the obscenity that now pervades with players making more in yearly income than the treasuries of small countries. Somewhere along the line, the fans got screwed. Sadly, I think we did it to ourselves.

He sure has. Funny thing is same games played they're sitting one point above us who until yesterday where 'a club in crisis' laughable

I saw their relegation odds yesterday, 50-1. Just wildly too long. I'm not saying they are going down, but it's too long and indicative of the mania around that club.

This will be the 2nd year in, and I'm not convinced, having spent the best part of 300m quid they will do better than Bruce/Ashley managed.

They hit FFP hurdles very soon, and honestly theyve not moved forward that much. See where Chelsea/City were after 2 years (clue it was not half way up the league) and you see this is not a repeat of either of those. I'm doubtful they'll even replicate us, with 61 points and 7th place.

I saw their relegation odds yesterday, 50-1. Just wildly too long. I'm not saying they are going down, but it's too long and indicative of the mania around that club.

This will be the 2nd year in, and I'm not convinced, having spent the best part of 300m quid they will do better than Bruce/Ashley managed.

They hit FFP hurdles very soon, and honestly theyve not moved forward that much. See where Chelsea/City were after 2 years (clue it was not half way up the league) and you see this is not a repeat of either of those. I'm doubtful they'll even replicate us, with 61 points and 7th place.

Every team you mentioned where ensconced top 6/7 teams at the time if the takeover, Newcastle where ensconced the other end, their massive spend at best can get them mid table+ then p&s says hi but nah that's your lot booyos

It was MILES better with Jimmy Hill pontificating to the camera, Bob Wilson with the news and pools, a main match and one or two minor matches. Each game was given enough time to allow the viewer settle into it and glean a true sense of the ebb and flow of the match. Nowadays, it's three minutes a match, five minutes of waffle, rinse, and repeat.

To be fair, MOTD was still good in the Des Lynam days with Alan Hansen. Same format, a few matches, and a goals round up. That is all that's needed.

The Big Match was, in my view, the best of the lot. Brian Moore on presentation and commentary duties, Jim Rosenthal with the news and pools, a bit of a lighter mood, and three regional games. Jeff Wayne's theme tune to top and tail. Perfect.

The official Premier League Review used to be the best of the modern productions - match highlights and no waffle. Simple.
You can watch reruns of this on itv hub. From the early seventies, till Elton welsby took over in about 1980 or so

I keep forgetting that when we play on a Saturday (and not on BT sport), you can get the 30 minutes extended highlights of the game on sky match choice

It was MILES better with Jimmy Hill pontificating to the camera, Bob Wilson with the news and pools, a main match and one or two minor matches. Each game was given enough time to allow the viewer settle into it and glean a true sense of the ebb and flow of the match. Nowadays, it's three minutes a match, five minutes of waffle, rinse, and repeat.
True. But these were games that hadn't been shown live earlier that day, so people who didn't attend were watching for the 1st time. For example, only 1 of our league games from that great 84-85 season was shown live on TV, so extensive highlights of games were more necessary back then.

For this game, even though we played quite well, our possession didn't always results in a goalmouth incident, so it was always likely a small highlights package would feature West Ham's chances over ours- as there were more of them, despite the game being even. If i'm going to have a gripe it was if they were going to show Zouma's weak header as a 'highlight', then they should have shown Onana's headed chance and the opportunity were Gray fizzed one across the goal, other than that, no complaints really.

Status
Not open for further replies.