Marco Silva

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thats where you might be wrong. There are thousands of managers in the world, but only a tiny amount are good enough for the prem, Sam never having been relegated and being a mainstay in the league is obviously one of them. Silva has not proved himself to be so far, and 99.9% of all managers arnt good enough.
I said he was a gamble- but Sam's football was crap ten men behind the ball and HOOFBALL!
hence sacked!

This is one of the reasons I hope it is Silva: he cant have been idle in the last 6 months. He'd have been getting together info on who he wanted retained and who he needs to bring in.

When he is confirmed I can imagine a lot of swift decisions on departures and arrivals.

I really hope it is too. He seems to want to come here. He surely would have had offers since being sacked. Unlike the last 2 who only came for the money.

No one really knows what everton have been doing in the background. Silva could have been assessing and scouting for months equally he could have been tending his garden. Same as Brands, its been an open secret he's been coming for months, who to say he has not been prepping for ages.

All I can say is that if he is the man, then I'll support him fully.
I read somewhere that Brands & silva met up a few weeks back.

Around about this time of the proceedings before a new manager is installed @MoutsGoat has provided a tactical analysis of the manager in question. TBF to him he does a decent job. I'm hopeless at that stuff. I would like to read/see stuff about the new leader.

I'm a bit confused from what I've read so far - given that he conceded so many goals whilst in England it sort of snags with the analysis I read that he focuses on keeping a tight defensive unit. I know his teams get done on the break a lot and that might be the difference he's found since coming to the PL. Hopefully we get the manager who has learned his lesson and tweaks his game plan accordingly. Really looking forward to see how he goes about getting the CM pairing sorted. He looks for a dynamic pairing with at least one a box to box player.

It'll be fascinating to se how it unfolds and who avoids the cull in this squad.

http://outsideoftheboot.com/2017/02/16/tactical-philosophy-marco-silva/

While at Olympiakos and Estoril, Silva adopted the 4-2-3-1 in the lion’s share of his games in charge. The defensive structure allows the midfield to almost spring-load, allowing for a quick transition in to attack when the team regain possession. The formation allows the collective to unite as a stronger unit than relying on one or two players more adept at filing the role. At Sporting, however, Silva was known to deploy the 4-1-4-1 defensive formation as an attacking formation, since William Carvalho was available to play the holding role. With a great array of talent on hand, Silva was able to add a further player to the attack, knowing that Carvalho could handle himself alone during the time it took for the midfielders to drop back in to a defensive shape when dispossessed.

Silva’s Defensive Approach

With the team operating in a 4-1-4-1 in defence, the key for Silva is to fill space and cut out options for his opponents. The wingers drop back to help cover the wing backs, stepping in and out of the centre of the pitch depending on which way the opponent is attempting to go to break the side down. That said, wingers never step far in-field, as that of course is the domain of the two central midfielders and their deeper defensive midfielder.

A pressing game is of course implemented here, but not to the level of a Mauricio Pochettino or a Johan Cruyff. Players are encouraged to get harry opponents and push them further back, sometimes hunting in packs, but swiftly returning to their positions as to shut down space. Players shadow the ball as it crosses the field, pressing where possible to force errors and push the player further back. As mentioned earlier, the midfield is spring-loaded in this sense for the high paced counter attack. With players willing to break from their positions to win the ball back, the momentum is behind them and against the player dispossessed when the ball finally returns to Silva’s side.

The defensive midfielder shadows the play behind his midfield four, adding an extra body to cut out space to creative outlets. His pressing game is not restricted to the zone behind his midfield – straying further would leave too many gaps behind, and that sort of over-commitment could be the difference between a clean sheet and a goal. The key for the players here is using their own initiative; Hull centre back Curtis Davies reports that Marco Silva physically moves his players in to the positions he wishes them to fill during phases of play, working meticulously to show his team where to be and when to decide to be there. As a game develops, players take these lessons and apply them on the fly – “where would Marco put me if we were training?”, if you will. These sorts of perfectionist details, coupled with the faith Silva puts in his troops and freedom he allows them to make their own choices, breeds a confidence and assurance amongst his team in defence that has immaculately highlighted by Hull’s revitalised defensive shape.

Hull-defence-Chelsea.png

– In their 2-0 defeat away to Chelsea, Hull protect their box with Evandro pressing the ball as it progresses across the field. Huddlestone remains between the two banks of four as an extra body, as Clucas, previously aiding the full back Robertson, runs to fill the space ahead, where Diego Costa is attempting to bend a run.

Hull-City-countered.png

– Hull track back as Chelsea counter – Huddlestone, as the deepest midfielder, follows the play back between the back line and the retreating front four, cutting out inside options. Meyler returns to the defence with him, with the four defenders well positioned during their attack to be available to fall back in to their defensive shape quickly.

Silva’s Offensive Approach

Just as defending is about cutting out options for their opponents, attack is all about creating options for themselves. Counter attacking football follows the same tried and true formula – organise well, win the ball back, spring out of the traps and attack direct. Knowing that direct running isn’t always going to win the day, Silva seeks to pack the dangerous areas with players to create options for his side to play through and pull the opposition around.

One of the two primarily holding midfielders joins the attack, supporting from deeper and acting as an insurance policy to slow play down or out-right win the ball back should a counter attack break down. He is the defensive midfielder’s last line of defence, as it were, but also an outlet with a wide passing range should a counter attack slow and require a new angle. Ahead of him, the three attacking midfielders offer options on both wings and through the middle, stepping a little closer to one another than perhaps other managers may advocate. This, again, is to create options; players out of possession need to be thinking two or three passes ahead, and how best to make themselves available for their nearest team mate should they be next on the ball. The real width is created by the full backs, who dart in to space out wide, available as both an option for a play-switching long pass, or a short option on the overlap should their nearest winger come in to possession.

Up front, the lone striker dovetails into space and nearer the ball to offer options both short and long. Wingers pull in closer to them, drop out wider, whichever option offers the most use at the time. The constant movement and body-overload for the opposition defence makes deciding who to mark far trickier, with options developing and changing all around.

Hull-City-counter.png

– In the 0-0 away league draw against Manchester United, Hull begin a counter attack, with Huddlestone remaining deepest, four midfielders joining the attack, creating options for their nearest team mate. Niasse drops deep to offer himself as a give-and-go option with Lazar Markovic, or perhaps to pivot the play back inside to on-rushing midfielders.

Hull-City-high-pressure.png

– Although the attack has broken down, the screenshot above showcases the bodies available and options created by Silva’s counter attacking style. Huddlestone again remains deepest, with three attacking midfielders, a wing back, and central midfielder and a striker all ahead, pressing the ball and available to provide options on the counter, occupying large spaces and remaining close to potential ball-winning allies.

This is one of the reasons I hope it is Silva: he cant have been idle in the last 6 months. He'd have been getting together info on who he wanted retained and who he needs to bring in.

When he is confirmed I can imagine a lot of swift decisions on departures and arrivals.

I would hope that is right and he has not spent months sreading his rear cheeks watching eastenders! It does strike me that he has been holding out waiting for us to come calling so hopefully he has been using the time constructively.

Sooner have Moyes back than Silva to be honest. Cant help but think we are rich pickings for lesser managers with our compensation
structure and inevitable sackings ....

Sooner have Moyes back than Silva to be honest. Cant help but think we are rich pickings for lesser managers with our compensation
structure and inevitable sackings ....

Wouldn't be a popular choice , but a least we know he'd have the club's best interests at heart. With the Director of Football, we wouldn't have the diverting Dave problem .

Status
Not open for further replies.