2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the whole point of DOF was they controlled the way all the teams (youth to first) play and bought players to fit that system.

We don't seem to have any consistency in how we play (youth to first) and a recruitment system that's a hybrid between players Brands buys and Carlo's preference for older players he's worked with before.

That's a big problem imo.

Ollie Watkins is exactly the player he should have been targeting last summer. The fact we weren't in for clearly the best player in the championship worries me with Brands. I know next to nothing about football but it was so abundantly clear that the lad was a player. It was as easy as scouting can get.

We get better by signing the best young hungry players from the championship. It is tried and tested at this club and we have stopped doing it for some reason. Would we unearth a Cahill or a Lescott nowadays? It seems like we don’t look too much at these sort of players anymore and thats a concern.

19787045844_1003029953.jpg

13 of his signings in the squad, plus a couple of his ‘projects’. But people try to claim both that he’s doing a great job and that ancelotti can’t do any better because the squads rubbish. Embarrassing how some people will just cling to the emperors new clothes for as long as they can. The seasons been another letdown, pretending it hasn’t doesn’t do anyone any favours, it doesn’t make you a superbloo , it makes you a liar.

Last edited:
Ollie Watkins is exactly the player he should have been targeting last summer. The fact we weren't in for clearly the best player in the championship worries me with Brands. I know next to nothing about football but it was so abundantly clear that the lad was a player. It was as easy as scouting can get.

We get better by signing the best young hungry players from the championship. It is tried and tested at this club and we have stopped doing it for some reason. Would we unearth a Cahill or a Lescott nowadays? It seems like we don’t look too much at these sort of players anymore and thats a concern.
Godfrey is an example that we still do, but nowadays we are seeing these young players go for high premiums. We paid, what, £1.5M for Cahill and £6M for Lescott? If we were signing them today you'd be looking at anywhere between £20M and £40M if not more

Godfrey is an example that we still do, but nowadays we are seeing these young players go for high premiums. We paid, what, £1.5M for Cahill and £6M for Lescott? If we were signing them today you'd be looking at anywhere between £20M and £40M if not more

But we are spending those fees on players like Gomes and Iwobi instead, think that’s the point he’s making.

Of course the values are much higher nowadays but thats not the point. We are spending enormous fees on average players when there are far better players in the championship.

Its not the money, its the players we recruit. Watkins was a prime example of how are recruitment has gone from being calculated and logical to erratic and inconsistent.

Of course the values are much higher nowadays but thats not the point. We are spending enormous fees on average players when there are far better players in the championship.

Its not the money, its the players we recruit. Watkins was a prime example of how are recruitment has gone from being calculated and logical to erratic and inconsistent.
True, honestly I think most clubs in our league would be better served scouting the lower leagues than splashing out ridiculous fees. Sheffield United being prime example, getting someone like Ivan Toney instead of Rhian Brewster and they might have had a shot of staying up this season

Whilst I understand the injury issues, the paucity of our midfield and right hand side is shocking if we are honest. We have about eight midfielders/wingers and I would say three of them at best are up to standard. In modern football you can't rely on your best eleven being fit every week especially in a contracted season

Chairman Bill Kenwright said: “There hasn’t really been any doubt for some time that Marcel and I would sit down and agree a new contract. With Farhad’s blessing it took us around about one play of Z Cars to reach an agreement. “Farhad and I both wish our leadership team success and happiness as we all work together to build an exciting future for our great club,” he added.

bench+jump-resized.gif
Why is Bill even involved?! He should be in a purely ceremonial role at this stage. Summs it up. Jobs for the boys

Status
Not open for further replies.