2020/21 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's not done awful but i'm not exactly convinced he's done well either. Done some things well, done some things poorly.

The squad is a mess though and that is on him. Just because he's had crap to deal with doesn't mean he gets excused for that. Same goes for Carlo when we play crap football. It's their jobs to do better and they're both paid extremely well for it.

Every summer it's the same - we need a rebuild. It's not good enough.

That contract still not sorted

It's stick or twist for me C.

I'm content with the DoF idea but at this stage if Brands goes, I don't see the point in carrying it on... it hasn't seemed to work for us.

Said it all along that for me, the main pro for keeping Brands is to avoid ripping the whole thing up and having to start again. Not sure that reflects well on his work.

The value gained in the exmple you made is obliterated by the loss on someone like Iwobi or Delph.

Playing-quality wise his recruitment generally has been very poor.
I agree with you that iwobi and Delph have been poor signings.. which is why I’m very much on the fence about brands at present. - I think there’s been a mixed bag in terms of transfer dealings.
I prefer to mitigate the situation as a transitional period because I’m a glass half full type.

Yep, he's took over a bloated, depressingly average, one-paced squad that finished 8th - and dramatically changed it into a bloated, depressingly average, one-paced squad that finished........probably 8th
I wouldn’t say the squad is still bloated though..It has been stripped right down.
The problem is there are too many players we are still having to wait to shift because no one wants them. My concern is it’s a one in one out policy which I understand but that’s why this will take longer than wanted.

I wouldn’t say the squad is still bloated though..It has been stripped right down.
The problem is there are too many players we are still having to wait to shift because no one wants them. My concern is it’s a one in one out policy which I understand but that’s why this will take longer than wanted.

There are a few who come back from loan deals in the summer and he needs to move them on. Come preseason the squad will suddenly be pretty big again.

Tosun might be difficult if he has a serious injury.

Kenny needs to be moved on.

It may be time to move on Gibson and Benningime.

Branthwaite may need another loan if we dont get Europe.

Gordon we need to make call on.

Then we have the list of players who simply aren't good enough and need to be moved on......

Delph
Iwobi
Bernard

Perhaps also Gomes and Holgate can be added to that list.

Then we have a goalkeeping decision to make with Olsen and the end of his loan. And King will almost certainly leave.

Thankfully several contracts will end and that will help the wage structure - Besic, Bolasie, Walcott etc.

There are an awful lot of decisions to make and deals to be done before we even start to think about bringing the 4 or 5 quality players we need. The squad overhaul Is only in the early stages and there is an awful lot of work to be done. The more we get right this summer the better because time is short in football and we have to make the most of the time we will have with Ancelotti.

There is an awful lot of pressure on Brands to deliver if he is given a new contract to stay on. He has to make the right calls on who we bring in but he also has to be far better at moving players on.

You’d think it’s all about the summer window, wages will be freed up so we need to make it count. I can take not getting Europe this year and not strengthening in jan if it’s for the greater good.

Re: Brands, what is the alternative out of interest, would be poor planning if he does leave just when we need him without a replacement in place and with a recruitment plan? Any rumours about why he hasn’t signed an extension...

It's stick or twist for me C.

I'm content with the DoF idea but at this stage if Brands goes, I don't see the point in carrying it on... it hasn't seemed to work for us.

Said it all along that for me, the main pro for keeping Brands is to avoid ripping the whole thing up and having to start again. Not sure that reflects well on his work.

I believe they will stick, but the fact the contract has not been sorted and it’s April is alarming mind

The table doesn't lie.

We are still a very distant also-ran.

And he's had "years" already...3 of them.

I'd argue that our league position does belie the depth and quality of our squad.

Our squad has much more strength and depth than our league position suggests. It doesn't have enough though, which is why the horrible injury list we've endured this season has denied us the chance to finish in the top 4/5, which would have been a superb effort anyway.

If we'd had another midfielder, right back and an alternative to James this season, where would we be now, even with our injury luck? Would those players have been worth 6 points to us? If we'd had more luck with injuries on top of that, where would we be?

Is it outlandish to suggest we could get those 3/4 players this summer? We signed 5 last summer, including James, for nothing and Allan, Doucoure and Godfrey for 60m.

That's 4 players of their quality for 15m each on average, albeit on good money. Average age around 27. If Brands could do that again this summer, I don't see why we'd need another year. We don't need that many players.

I'd argue that our league position does belie the depth and quality of our squad.

Our squad has much more strength and depth than our league position suggests. It doesn't have enough though, which is why the horrible injury list we've endured this season has denied us the chance to finish in the top 4/5, which would have been a superb effort anyway.

If we'd had another midfielder, right back and an alternative to James this season, where would we be now, even with our injury luck? Would those players have been worth 6 points to us? If we'd had more luck with injuries on top of that, where would we be?

Is it outlandish to suggest we could get those 3/4 players this summer? We signed 5 last summer, including James, for nothing and Allan, Doucoure and Godfrey for 60m.

That's 4 players of their quality for 15m each on average, albeit on good money. Average age around 27. If Brands could do that again this summer, I don't see why we'd need another year. We don't need that many players.
But THAT is the point: after the cash spent we should have had those players, but too much was spent by Brands (and Koeman) on garbage.

That's why he has to go.

But THAT is the point: after the cash spent we should have had those players, but too much was spent by Brands (and Koeman) on garbage.

That's why he has to go.

I think it's debatable we should, given his overall spend. It's pre-Brands that we really wasted money. His job has been a complete squad overhaul and massive downsizing, with no European football or decent managers to help, until last summer.

There's no way I'd get rid of him before he and Ancelotti have a go at this window, because if they get it as right as they did the last, we'll be in very good shape in August.

I think it's debatable we should, given his overall spend. It's pre-Brands that we really wasted money. His job has been a complete squad overhaul and massive downsizing, with no European football or decent managers to help, until last summer.

There's no way I'd get rid of him before he and Ancelotti have a go at this window, because if they get it as right as they did the last, we'll be in very good shape in August.
Put in very crude terms: he practically gave players away that he couldn't shift and he bought tat (with a few honourable exceptions) for a king's ransom. Hiring and firing of managers - he hasn't been central to the decision making. Overhauling the club's playing style from academy through to first team? Has he done that?

No one hand on heart can make a convincing case for Brands. If he goes we wont be troubled by his departure.

Status
Not open for further replies.