2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
With respect davek, you’re an idiot, and an increasingly ludicrous pastiche of yourself. Sorry mods, will take a ban if needs be, just needed saying. All for debate and different opinions, but rhisxboy is beyond and he knows what he is doing. It’s his lifeblood
This over and over again , the man is a total bellend and I will take a ban as well

So a one off then?

Isn't it the case that the Head Coach is THE most important person in the organisation? I mean it's his playbook (aided by offensive/defensive co-ordinators) that actually win/lose games, right?

Much like Belichick. In virtually every other pro team in North America, it's a scenario where the general manager gets the players (via draft or trade) with maybe a bit of input from the head coach, while the head coach focuses on coaching. Basically, they work together to share the overall load, exactly as Brands and Silva are doing. It's not a question of who's more important. And the playbook means squadoosh if the players aren't up to snuff -- which means the GM hasn't done his job. A GM doing his job makes the coach better because he has better players on the team. Likewise, having the best players around means diddly if the playbook isn't up to snuff, meaning the head coach hasn't done his job. It cuts both ways.
Basically, you're in a snit because you adhere to the increasing anachronistic image of a football manager being the ultimate authority and our DoF hs had the audacity to speak to the media. You say Silva is trying to form his own identity and Brands is hogging the limelight. Do you think perhaps this is by design, in that Brands is taking the focus away from Silva right now to allow Silva to concentrate on working with the players, getting them to perform in his system and thereby forming his own identity as a manager?

So a one off then?

Isn't it the case that the Head Coach is THE most important person in the organisation? I mean it's his playbook (aided by offensive/defensive co-ordinators) that actually win/lose games, right?
Very often people with an understanding of how nuance works are able to see the contribution that the front office and the coaching staff make to successful teams. Each team has it to different degrees. I'm a Ravens fan and we have won two Super Bowls with the same GM (equal to the DoF) and two completely different coaching staffs. Other teams will keep the coach and fire the GM although this is rare because they are usually connected and the GM will often fire a coach to save his job as long as he can.

So I guess to answer your question it depends. The coach is typically the one who answers for the results first but ultimately no coach will go anywhere without a good front office bringing in players. Belichick is the exception to the rule as he is the only coach/GM to win anything in 30 years or so meaning only the greatest coach of all time was able to do both. If Everton were looking at that as the right approach our odds of finding someone of similar ability is virtually zero.

What is with this silly discussion about whos in charge or whos made the calls?

Clear as day that the two of them are working very closely together. Tigether being the operative word.

Silva will discuss his visions for the team and the kinda players he evisages fitting into the system and the profile we need, maybe even suggest based on his own knowledge of a player.. see Richarlison.

Brands will take that onboard, identify targets, discuss again with Silva, and then make an informed decision whether to pursue a target.

Brands has more power, but hes not gonna go rogue and sign players that Silva doesnt want. Thats not how we roll, or Silva wouldnt have come onboard the Uzbek Express.

As an interesting aside to the current debate, I notice that it has been reliably reported that following their poor performance in the transfer window , Man.U. have decided to go down the DoF route. Despite their current managers dislike of it.
Like other businesses football evolves and responds to ever changing circumstances. It is now the DoF who recruits , and develops the footballing direction of the club. They provide the continuity. This is partly a response to managers themselves often choosing to move on to new challenges , even when successful.
Another reason is the observable fact that clubs who have long term managers nearly always suffer a difficult period when they finally do leave, sometimes disastrous.
It seems the era of the all powerful manager is passing , replaced by the long term DoF and disposable coach.
It is worth remembering though that the powerful manager method itself replaced the longer lived system of a selection committee deciding who would play and who to recruit with a trainer to do what remained.
No doubt when managers where first introduced people were unhappy at one man assuming so much control over the club.
Change is always disturbing to many , but if you don't evolve with the times you get left behind.
As someone who now more than anyone else embodies the footballing future of the club, I think it is important that Brands does take time to communicate with us, I for one will be listening.

As an interesting aside to the current debate, I notice that it has been reliably reported that following their poor performance in the transfer window , Man.U. have decided to go down the DoF route. Despite their current managers dislike of it.
Like other businesses football evolves and responds to ever changing circumstances. It is now the DoF who recruits , and develops the footballing direction of the club. They provide the continuity. This is partly a response to managers themselves often choosing to move on to new challenges , even when successful.
Another reason is the observable fact that clubs who have long term managers nearly always suffer a difficult period when they finally do leave, sometimes disastrous.
It seems the era of the all powerful manager is passing , replaced by the long term DoF and disposable coach.
It is worth remembering though that the powerful manager method itself replaced the longer lived system of a selection committee deciding who would play and who to recruit with a trainer to do what remained.
No doubt when managers where first introduced people were unhappy at one man assuming so much control over the club.
Change is always disturbing to many , but if you don't evolve with the times you get left behind.
As someone who now more than anyone else embodies the footballing future of the club, I think it is important that Brands does take time to communicate with us, I for one will be listening.

Could be a way of getting Jose to walk, without having to pay him off too ?

Much like Belichick. In virtually every other pro team in North America, it's a scenario where the general manager gets the players (via draft or trade) with maybe a bit of input from the head coach, while the head coach focuses on coaching. Basically, they work together to share the overall load, exactly as Brands and Silva are doing. It's not a question of who's more important. And the playbook means squadoosh if the players aren't up to snuff -- which means the GM hasn't done his job. A GM doing his job makes the coach better because he has better players on the team. Likewise, having the best players around means diddly if the playbook isn't up to snuff, meaning the head coach hasn't done his job. It cuts both ways.
Basically, you're in a snit because you adhere to the increasing anachronistic image of a football manager being the ultimate authority and our DoF hs had the audacity to speak to the media. You say Silva is trying to form his own identity and Brands is hogging the limelight. Do you think perhaps this is by design, in that Brands is taking the focus away from Silva right now to allow Silva to concentrate on working with the players, getting them to perform in his system and thereby forming his own identity as a manager?
It's not anachronistic to see the manager as the most important figure of any club, it just goes with the territory.

This debate reminds me of that story this week which suggested most PL teams can do without their fans, financially speaking. A completely specious argument that ignores the fact that without fans (however much they directly contribute) there would be no sponsors and no tv broadcasters looking to put money into the game. Same diffference with managers: the demotion by you and others of the role of a manager simply wont do. Managers are the glue that hold the organisation together, they are the determinators of how everything else works at the club. They are the face to the world.

When Sky or BT or ESPN broadcast a series of programmes called "Best Ever Directors of Football" please let me know about it.

So a one off then?

Could it maybe, just maybe, be about team play? Brands and Silva are as I look towards it in it together. Of course, and imo there shouldn't be a debate about it, as long as Silva is head coach/manager, he should be the one one where the ultimate responsibility lies with.

However for the long term vision of this club, it should be Brands or whoever is appointed DOF who's pulling the strings. If not we might as well get rid of Moshiri, sack Walsh and Silva and bring back Moyes.

Get back to the best of the rest era with him and Kenwright. 'Plucky little Everton punching above their weight.'

Had a nice ring to it.

For about five years or so.

So a one off then?

NOW, during the season, the manager is the most important person at the club.

But during transfer windows, its Brands.

Im willing to bet any amount of money that Brands is here longer than Silva.

We have had 35* full time managers in our history, but only 1 DoF.

Marcel Brands walks on water.

Very often people with an understanding of how nuance works are able to see the contribution that the front office and the coaching staff make to successful teams. Each team has it to different degrees. I'm a Ravens fan and we have won two Super Bowls with the same GM (equal to the DoF) and two completely different coaching staffs. Other teams will keep the coach and fire the GM although this is rare because they are usually connected and the GM will often fire a coach to save his job as long as he can.

So I guess to answer your question it depends. The coach is typically the one who answers for the results first but ultimately no coach will go anywhere without a good front office bringing in players. Belichick is the exception to the rule as he is the only coach/GM to win anything in 30 years or so meaning only the greatest coach of all time was able to do both. If Everton were looking at that as the right approach our odds of finding someone of similar ability is virtually zero.
That's a different argument though: that's underlining that DoF are important in facilitating a Head Coach. I'm sure that can be true.

But the game calls for an expert on tactics and strategy, and the 'franchise' rises or falls on the ability of the Head Coach to make those pay.

Could it maybe, just maybe, be about team play? Brands and Silva are as I look towards it in it together. Of course, and imo there shouldn't be a debate about it, as long as Silva is head coach/manager, he should be the one one where the ultimate responsibility lies with.

However for the long term vision of this club, it should be Brands or whoever is appointed DOF who's pulling the strings. If not we might as well get rid of Moshiri, sack Walsh and Silva and bring back Moyes.

Get back to the best of the rest era with him and Kenwright. 'Plucky little Everton punching above their weight.'

Had a nice ring to it.

For about five years or so.
Of course it's about team work. But the point being argued against here is that a DoF is the main figure now at the club and all dance to his tune. Some are drawing that conclusion because Brands is putting himself out there to be considered in such a fashion, it would appear.

That's a different argument though: that's underlining that DoF are important in facilitating a Head Coach. I'm sure that can be true.

But the game calls for an expert on tactics and strategy, and the 'franchise' rises or falls on the ability of the Head Coach to make those pay.

Yeah ive actually reported you for the word franchise.

NOW, during the season, the manager is the most important person at the club.

But during transfer windows, its Brands.

Im willing to bet any amount of money that Brands is here longer than Silva.

We have had 35* full time managers in our history, but only 1 DoF.

Marcel Brands walks on water.

...so will Fred the Doorman....

Status
Not open for further replies.