2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.

We were throwing in bids for Marcus Rojo on deadline day. That's how good the guy is. Embarrassing stuff. He's had all season to get a centre half in knowing what was happening at Chelsea. All season to get a forward in - gets a 19 year old who needs far more time to get up to speed than the cut throat premier league world allows you. Lets get it right - of all the 5 buys last season - Richarlison was Silva's, Digne is the exception, Bernard is not good enough for a top 6 PL side (good enough for the bench for one that finishes 8th - 10th like us), Gomes the jury is still out on, hugely inconsistent and the same with Mina. He did OK last season but not lets go overboard. The glaring miss has been a proven striker and centre half the last window. Huge errors which will cost us. And why oh why do we keep buying everyone so late that they have no pre season and they're playing catch up......

Having a go at brands for our centre backs having a bad game is silly. Complaint at the end of the window was that we had no back up at centre back. Everyone fully expected mina/Keane to be our central partnership.

Having a go at brands for our centre backs having a bad game is silly. Complaint at the end of the window was that we had no back up at centre back. Everyone fully expected mina/Keane to be our central partnership.
There were many of us who pointed out why we didn’t think they would be a good partnership though, and repeatedly tried to tell people that having two slow, flat footed players next to each other would cause us problems. Silva knew it, but there were some on here who knew better of course.

We were throwing in bids for Marcus Rojo on deadline day. That's how good the guy is. Embarrassing stuff. He's had all season to get a centre half in knowing what was happening at Chelsea. All season to get a forward in - gets a 19 year old who needs far more time to get up to speed than the cut throat premier league world allows you. Lets get it right - of all the 5 buys last season - Richarlison was Silva's, Digne is the exception, Bernard is not good enough for a top 6 PL side (good enough for the bench for one that finishes 8th - 10th like us), Gomes the jury is still out on, hugely inconsistent and the same with Mina. He did OK last season but not lets go overboard. The glaring miss has been a proven striker and centre half the last window. Huge errors which will cost us. And why oh why do we keep buying everyone so late that they have no pre season and they're playing catch up......
I think he genuinely thought zaha and zouma would come because we have money

How is it his fault Silva has got them playing like utter doo doo, Someone said way back you'll turn on him and what a surprise he was right.
It’s not turning on him, it’s just acknowledging that he too has some responsibility for how things work out for us. You can be sure that he’ll be getting deified if we have a great season, so it’s only fair that he gets criticised if we don’t.

I said all summer I didn’t think our recruitment was good enough. The key purchases for me were a centre half who fits Silvas system (I don’t think a Keane/Mina partnership does) and a good striker who can be relied on to get a decent return. I don’t think we got either.

Kean looks a real talent, a very good signing in the long run. He doesn’t look like he solves our problems right now though. At the moment he looks like someone who’ll start a few games but often be an impact sub. We’re still lacking that player to lead the line.

Long term view is the right policy, I’m not having a pop at brands for that, but buying players for the long term means you can’t judge your manager on the short term. Silva wants to play a certain way (and we’ve bought SOME players who suit that) but it’s let down by the fact there’s no pace/athleticism at the back and no main striker. So while it’s not brands’ ‘fault’ if we’re playing like doodoo, he’s not blameless either.

Status
Not open for further replies.