2019/20 Marcel Brands

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest you show that decision some respect and not tell valued posters to "jog on".

Uhuhuh..uhuh..uhuhuhuh...he said valued

rqy9O-dlDt2sbg88B0YZU0sFlZV9MozxUC68dS-jZdB70GALyq1yCHc5jLOfqO2dvmih3PjkNC_DhCoe9vu-NxRsPbM5QrFMyUz0X6jwrIK6W20t7ctmFzsdcIIN6Hp8huiLCOdXbQEefGWfc95TGPgzy6tmLTTI_DWLDFZ7AAr7VK-51ITsaD9XiPW1pKT2WsreuxFzZwOj-THXQ_TRYHv_yCVZRcxJyEcXD2lPlKgbY0S8FCN3

Ive been on the fence a bit with Brands and Gbamin's injury is unfortunate but just puts the spotlight on our recruitment as a whole, regardless of whether its bad luck or not. It all comes down to expectation levels really. Some think Gomes, Kean, Bernard, Sidibe are decent buys, others dont.
However, when you look the current yardstick of success across the park, our recruitment bears no resemblance. Buying Mane from Southampton for 30 mill and he's now one of the best players in the world. Same for Salah. Firmino bought from Germany, Wijnaldum, Robertson, the list goes on.
They are what I would call successful buys. Absolutely killing it the lot of them.
Our ingredients for success seem to be one good game in three, "being young" or having a sell on value.......Its literally night and day. It's not wrong to expect or demand better buys than what we've been bought. At the end of the day, the buys have been OK. But we need better. Gomes literally typifies it right now. We can see he can be so good and dominate some games. However, he has been dreadful as many times as he's been good and he scores no goals. Would Liverpool fans call such a buy a success? The only real success is Richarlison who is consistently a threat, scores goals and performs tirelessly week in and out. Is it wrong to demand 5 Richarlisons??? Not at all, we just have the same standard of convo about Djemba Djemba, Andy Carroll and Veron and remind ourselves that other clubs make mistakes too. The reality is that our competition have much more success than us, not failures.......

Does anyone know exactly what his role is in signing players? Is it just him or is it based on agreement between him, the coach and others (e.g. chief scout)? Is he suggesting players initially or does he take manager suggestions and get deals over the line? Genuine questions. I don't really know.

I said yesterday in the summer thread "we go with what we've got" should be the clubs new motto - loads of our fans have and continue to accept mediocrity year in year out.

Stones, Lukaku, Gana its inevitable Richarlison will be the next to go - he's begging for Rom to come back to realise his dreams of playing CL at Everton but we'll persist with crap like DCL and Kean and wonder why he'll leave to seek success elswhere and the cycle continues.

Your source said we’re lashing £100m at Allan, Everton Soares and Gabriel????!?!?!?

Any decent players not getting a sniff at Barcelona this year?

Emerson the right back but hes getting games at Betis.

Otherwise the ones to watch out for would be Lenglet, Semedo and Arthur.

I agree to a point, but in 2 years you’d expect to see obvious signs of improvement and I’m not sure we have. I’ve said it before but it’s worrying to me that people like Keane and sigurdsson - the poster boys of Walsh’s poor recruitment - are being picked by Ancelotti (who’s no mug) above people brands has spent a load of money on. Same with Kean, we’ve got areas of the team in desperate need of improvement and yet we spent £27m on him to be third choice behind 2 lads who were already here and are barely older than him. Brands hasn’t been a disaster and you’re right that he needs more time, but he sure as hell hasn’t put himself beyond criticism so far.
Ive been on the fence a bit with Brands and Gbamin's injury is unfortunate but just puts the spotlight on our recruitment as a whole, regardless of whether its bad luck or not. It all comes down to expectation levels really. Some think Gomes, Kean, Bernard, Sidibe are decent buys, others dont.
However, when you look the current yardstick of success across the park, our recruitment bears no resemblance. Buying Mane from Southampton for 30 mill and he's now one of the best players in the world. Same for Salah. Firmino bought from Germany, Wijnaldum, Robertson, the list goes on.
They are what I would call successful buys. Absolutely killing it the lot of them.
Our ingredients for success seem to be one good game in three, "being young" or having a sell on value.......Its literally night and day. It's not wrong to expect or demand better buys than what we've been bought. At the end of the day, the buys have been OK. But we need better. Gomes literally typifies it right now. We can see he can be so good and dominate some games. However, he has been dreadful as many times as he's been good and he scores no goals. Would Liverpool fans call such a buy a success? The only real success is Richarlison who is consistently a threat, scores goals and performs tirelessly week in and out. Is it wrong to demand 5 Richarlisons??? Not at all, we just have the same standard of convo about Djemba Djemba, Andy Carroll and Veron and remind ourselves that other clubs make mistakes too. The reality is that our competition have much more success than us, not failures.......

Id say the players who are definite starters long term are:

Digne
Holgate
Richarlison
DCL

The next bracket down were probably looking at:
Pickford
Mina
Iwobi
Gomes
Kean
Bernard
Gbamin :(

To see how they do under Ancelotti.

Aside from Pickford and DCL/Holgate all were signed by Brands. The rest need to be replaced...

Digne
Holgate
Richarlison
DCL

Pickford
Mina
Iwobi
Gomes
Kean
Bernard

Aside from Pickford and DCL/Holgate all were signed by Brands. The rest need to be replaced...
Again, I agree to a point, but only by default. Mina hasn’t really been better than Keane to be perfectly honest, and I don’t say that lightly. And iwobi has done no more than sigurdsson or Walcott. They’re above them because they haven’t been bad for as long basically.

Digne
Holgate
Richarlison
DCL

Pickford
Mina
Iwobi
Gomes
Kean
Bernard

A bloke who cant finish his dinner? :eek:

Your source said we’re lashing £100m at Allan, Everton Soares and Gabriel????!?!?!?

Fingers crossed he gets them over the line.

The problem is its 1 season too late they should have been in this season instead he was signing crap like Iwobi, Delph and Kean.

Same as the year we should have pushed on when we appointed Koeman we sold Stones and signed Ashley Williams and Bolasie in which Lukaku left the club fuming we hadn't signed players he knew personally were available.

We only show ambishun after a bad season rather than constantly looking to build and improve.

Fingers crossed he gets them over the line.

The problem is its 1 season too late they should have been in this season instead he was signing crap like Iwobi, Delph and Kean.

Same as the year we should have pushed on when we appointed Koeman we sold Stones and signed Ashley Williams and Bolasie in which Lukaku left the club fuming we hadn't signed players he knew personally were available.

We only show ambishun after a bad season rather than constantly looking to build and improve.

How were we going to sign Allan with Marco Silva as our manager and Ancelotti still at Napoli????

Digne
Holgate
Richarlison
DCL

Pickford
Mina
Iwobi
Gomes
Kean
Bernard

It’s funny because Holgate, DCL and Digne still have question marks over them. DCL, even his biggest fans will admit, still needs to be more clinical. Well see if his scoring streak continues. Holgate has had a good half a season but looks the more likely of all of them to kick on. Digne had a great first season but has been poor this season. At a club with CL ambitions, you can’t have players who give you 5/10s regularly which is what Digne has done this season (don’t give me the chances created stats, etc, I see him with my own eyes). I think as Everton fans we do it more than most - decide someone is good after a few games and then make excuses down the line as to why they play poorly. We have Richarlison who would attract interest from top clubs right now. Hand on heart I think that’s it unfortunately which sums our squad up.

Again, I agree to a point, but only by default. Mina hasn’t really been better than Keane to be perfectly honest, and I don’t say that lightly. And iwobi has done no more than sigurdsson or Walcott. They’re above them because they haven’t been bad for as long basically.

I think Mina was one of our best players up until around Christmas. Keane has been good when others have covered his mistakes

A bloke who cant finish his dinner? :eek:

Our top goalscorer.

It’s funny because Holgate, DCL and Digne still have question marks over them. DCL, even his biggest fans will admit, still needs to be more clinical. Well see if his scoring streak continues. Holgate has had a good half a season but looks the more likely of all of them to kick on. Digne had a great first season but has been poor this season. At a club with CL ambitions, you can’t have players who give you 5/10s regularly which is what Digne has done this season (don’t give me the chances created stats, etc, I see him with my own eyes). I think as Everton fans we do it more than most - decide someone is good after a few games and then make excuses down the line as to why they play poorly. We have Richarlison who would attract interest from top clubs right now. Hand on heart I think that’s it unfortunately which sums our squad up.

I actually think Digne has been a solid 7/10 across the season.

DCL usually 7/8 since Ferguson came in

Holgate at around 8/10

Richarlison at 8/10

If you put better quality players around them i could see those numbers looking very solid.

Status
Not open for further replies.