2019/20 Lucas Digne

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note 'Next year'

Yeah i would as well.

Bit strange that were not extending one of our best players contracts.

Leaving it till next year is a little bit of a risk.

We need to keep Richarlison and Digne along with our new signings no matter what. I won’t oppose to the idea of adding Romero as competition, for a loan or small fee even he is not the youngest.

We need to keep Richarlison and Digne along with our new signings no matter what. I won’t oppose to the idea of adding Romero as competition, for a loan or small fee even he is not the youngest.

I think we should be extending Digne 5 years. Hes one of the best left backs in Europe.

However, i do wonder if next summer with 2 seasons on his deal whether we may sell for a massive fee like £65-70mil.

I think alot would depend on Nkounkou suddenly becoming very good but that fee would cover alnost all of James, Allan and Doucoure.

With this and next summers FFP being combined it may be the strategy we use to keep building.

Who knows...

3 years left and 28 next season.

I wonder if we may look to sell next summer if Nkounkou does well...then Thierry Small in the conveyor belt behind.

Id like to keep him and would be giving him a 5 year deal now to keep him to 32 but in a season with 2 years left perhaps Brands goes for the cash,

Would be hard to reject an offer in a year for £65-70mil.

Who the hell is Thierry Small because I can guarantee we will not be selling one of our best players because this U-18 lad is in the conveyor belt of players we ship off to League 1 at age 23

3 years left and 28 next season.

I wonder if we may look to sell next summer if Nkounkou does well...then Thierry Small in the conveyor belt behind.

Id like to keep him and would be giving him a 5 year deal now to keep him to 32 but in a season with 2 years left perhaps Brands goes for the cash,

Would be hard to reject an offer in a year for £65-70mil.

coincidentally I was having very similar thoughts driving to work this morning.. I was slightly Aline wanting to sell Baines when he still had a good couple years to go (I would have been wrong but I still think in principle it’s right) to maximize the return as there is a steep cliff behind a certain point. It’s something Wenger used to do a bit, even Ferguson.

Small is a very exciting talent and I’m wanting to see him pushed through. Give Nkounkou a year to be ready then take a punt on Small to back up. Small doesn’t do RB does he?

I’m Aligned

What on earth. 3 years left or even 2 years left, is not risky @Zatara if it gets down to 18months then start worrying but he has loads of time left, we have Ancelotti in charge and signing the likes of James, I think he will be happy and want to stay. If we had another season like last, I'd imagine he would want out.

Who is Thierry Small and why is he taking Dignes place in 2 years lol

Who the hell is Thierry Small because I can guarantee we will not be selling one of our best players because this U-18 lad is in the conveyor belt of players we ship off to League 1 at age 23

Not sure how that is relevant to what i wrote?

I stated that if next season we get an offer for £65-70mil then we would need to extend Dignes contract or sell him.

Then i stated that Nkounkou would need to come through this season + we also have Thierry Small in the conveyor belt behind.

Dont see where ive stated we should sell Digne because Small is coming through?

Perhaps you can highlight where ive said that?

What on earth. 3 years left or even 2 years left, is not risky @Zatara if it gets down to 18months then start worrying but he has loads of time left, we have Ancelotti in charge and signing the likes of James, I think he will be happy and want to stay. If we had another season like last, I'd imagine he would want out.

Who is Thierry Small and why is he taking Dignes place in 2 years lol

You cant let an asset run his contract down to 18months.

Thats total insanity as weve seen by handing Keane an extension of 3 years when he had 2 years remaining.

Weve seen that players like Hojbjerg who were valued at £30+mil go for £14mil when they have 1 season left.

Dignes contract either needs to be extended now (my preference as i clearly stated) to 5 years. Or it has to be extended by next summer.

Otherwise we would have no choice but to sell next summer.

Perhaps you could show me where ive stated Thierry Small will be taking Dignes place?

coincidentally I was having very similar thoughts driving to work this morning.. I was slightly Aline wanting to sell Baines when he still had a good couple years to go (I would have been wrong but I still think in principle it’s right) to maximize the return as there is a steep cliff behind a certain point. It’s something Wenger used to do a bit, even Ferguson.

Small is a very exciting talent and I’m wanting to see him pushed through. Give Nkounkou a year to be ready then take a punt on Small to back up. Small doesn’t do RB does he?

I’m Aligned

I think in an ideal world we extend Digne now on a 5 year deal. Hes such a good player that we ideally need him in the team and that only takes him to 32 when he may still be a great squad option.

Otherwise we would need Nkounkou to have a brilliant season now and really show hes capable to be a very good left back for us and take Dignes place.

Small would only be 17/18 so likely not ready to step into the first team. But next summer we will be stuffed really as we cant give him and Nkounkou 2 seasons without extending Dignes deal.

So quite surprising Dignes not had his deal extended yet as to bring the other 2 left backs through will likely take this + next season which would leave Digne on only 1 year and 29.

Should really give him an extension.

I was doubting this guy mid season but he’s quality. He ain’t the best left back in the league or whatever crazy posts go on. But he’s very good. Lets just see what we can build with him in his position. He’s literally the best we can get in his role so we need to make sure we build.

Not sure how that is relevant to what i wrote?

I stated that if next season we get an offer for £65-70mil then we would need to extend Dignes contract or sell him.

Then i stated that Nkounkou would need to come through this season + we also have Thierry Small in the conveyor belt behind.

Dont see where ive stated we should sell Digne because Small is coming through?

Perhaps you can highlight where ive said that?

You cant let an asset run his contract down to 18months.

Thats total insanity as weve seen by handing Keane an extension of 3 years when he had 2 years remaining.

Weve seen that players like Hojbjerg who were valued at £30+mil go for £14mil when they have 1 season left.

Dignes contract either needs to be extended now (my preference as i clearly stated) to 5 years. Or it has to be extended by next summer.

Otherwise we would have no choice but to sell next summer.

Perhaps you could show me where ive stated Thierry Small will be taking Dignes place?

I think in an ideal world we extend Digne now on a 5 year deal. Hes such a good player that we ideally need him in the team and that only takes him to 32 when he may still be a great squad option.

Otherwise we would need Nkounkou to have a brilliant season now and really show hes capable to be a very good left back for us and take Dignes place.

Small would only be 17/18 so likely not ready to step into the first team. But next summer we will be stuffed really as we cant give him and Nkounkou 2 seasons without extending Dignes deal.

So quite surprising Dignes not had his deal extended yet as to bring the other 2 left backs through will likely take this + next season which would leave Digne on only 1 year and 29.

Should really give him an extension.
I was only jesting at the Thierry Small bit mate. I know you seem to know your finance and contracts etc but I honestly don't see why a player needs extending so urgently when 3 years left. Sign Digne up again by all means,I am not against it as he is class, just not on the same wavelength as you regards urgency.

I was only jesting at the Thierry Small bit mate. I know you seem to know your finance and contracts etc but I honestly don't see why a player needs extending so urgently when 3 years left. Sign Digne up again by all means,I am not against it as he is class, just not on the same wavelength as you regards urgency.

So at the moment were safe as hes got 3 years on his deal.

Fast forward 12months...

Digne has 2 years on his contract and lets say his market value is £65-70mil at the age of 27/28.

We also have Nkounkou who will be 20 and Small 17 (i think).

Based on solely their ages and experience (or lack of), even if Nkounkou pushes Digne close for a spot this season he may have 2nd season syndrome and drop off a bit next season.

Small would also need this season to become regular in u23s and then the following season really push into the first team at 18 (unlikely).

So if we sold Digne for a massive fee next summer we would be 1-2 seasons short of bringing Nkounkou + Small through.

So, lets say we dont sell Digne next summer but want to keep him.

A: What if he wants to leave?
B: What if he doesnt want to leave but stay for another season when he only would then have 1 year on his deal and his value would shrink

Both ways were stuffed by at least 1 more year really in that we need him to stay 2-3, more seasons while our 2 kids develop.

If we didnt have Ancelotti then the smart move would be to try and get a year out of him now then sell next summer for huge money at £70mil.

But with Ancelotti we have a unique chance to really push and go for top 4 soon. Digne can be a key player for us to achieve this and id like to see him tied down 5 years.

So at the moment were safe as hes got 3 years on his deal.

Fast forward 12months...

Digne has 2 years on his contract and lets say his market value is £65-70mil at the age of 27/28.

We also have Nkounkou who will be 20 and Small 17 (i think).

Based on solely their ages and experience (or lack of), even if Nkounkou pushes Digne close for a spot this season he may have 2nd season syndrome and drop off a bit next season.

Small would also need this season to become regular in u23s and then the following season really push into the first team at 18 (unlikely).

So if we sold Digne for a massive fee next summer we would be 1-2 seasons short of bringing Nkounkou + Small through.

So, lets say we dont sell Digne next summer but want to keep him.

A: What if he wants to leave?
B: What if he doesnt want to leave but stay for another season when he only would then have 1 year on his deal and his value would shrink

Both ways were stuffed by at least 1 more year really in that we need him to stay 2-3, more seasons while our 2 kids develop.

If we didnt have Ancelotti then the smart move would be to try and get a year out of him now then sell next summer for huge money at £70mil.

But with Ancelotti we have a unique chance to really push and go for top 4 soon. Digne can be a key player for us to achieve this and id like to see him tied down 5 years.
I mean I get what you are saying,there's a lot of ifs and buts. I'm not on the ball with player contracts and stuff as you seem to be. However I do agree let's get Digne signed up now lol

Status
Not open for further replies.