Match Thread Liverpool v Everton : Sunday 24th April 2022 : Kick Off 4.30pm

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you actually watch the performance last night ? The difference between a disappointing draw and a disastrous defeat was a scuffed effort in the 92nd minute. Leicester could have easily been 2 or 3 nil up by that point, completely controlled the match from start to finish (63% possession from a mid-table side AWAY from home).

I've heard a lot of nonsense talked on here about how last night was a good point and how we 'huffed and puffed till we got something out of the game'. We never looked remotely like scoring until we actually did score and Leicester comfortably did the footballing equivalent of holding a man on the top of the head with an outstretched arm whilst he tries in vain to land a punch on you. Norwich, Burnley and Watford would all have put in a better performance than that last night.
I didn't think we were great at all but Vardy aside that was the strongest team Leicester have been able to put out all season and I think the difference was that we didn't give up despite them having most of the possession and got a draw out of it whereas I don't think that the bottom 3 would have done that. You say that they could have been 2 or 3 up but Richarlison should have had 3 himself.

My team would be

Kelly

Clement Kemwright Unsworth Baines

Moshiri Sheedy Lampard Cole

Sharp Ferguson

I genuinely think that side has more chance of getting anything out of Liverpool than anything else we could pick especially as Kebwright is well known for keeping it tight although I would be a little bit concerned about Moshiris decision making
Decent line up that only 40-0 I think.

This fixture is completely irrelevant now. They (and City) are so far ahead of everyone that the good old days of 'formbook goes out the window' really doesn't happen any more.
If we were sat comfortably in mid table i'd say go out there and leave a foot in on a few of their players... see if they're up for a rough game but we can't afford to lose anyone to red cards so we have to be sensible because there are winnable, far more important games than this one.

The saddest thing is that we could easily get done 6-0 here and I think their fans wouldn’t even bother rubbing it in. We’re such an irrelevance to them now that I think they just feel a bit bad for us.

So, y’know, UTFT and that.
Never fall for it mate, when they aren't rubbing it in, they are patronising the hell out of us with stuff like "I would hate to see Everton go down". Mark my words they LOVE seeing us struggle (and why not, I would certainly love to see them in our position). If the reds in your life aren't rubbing it in after Sunday's tonking it will only be because they fear a backlash from you that might get ugly. Deep down and amongst their own kind it will all be hearty guffaw's at the demise of 'the bitters'. Personally I prefer it that way and always carry an air of menace in any conversation with them that says 'take the mick at your peril lad'

Just don't go there to play.

Sit back. Hold.

Even going 1-0 don't change a thing. That's the only way we could get anything from the game.

They good at everything the redshi(r)ts but they worse in possession than countering

This fixture is completely irrelevant now. They (and City) are so far ahead of everyone that the good old days of 'formbook goes out the window' really doesn't happen any more.
If we were sat comfortably in mid table i'd say go out there and leave a foot in on a few of their players... see if they're up for a rough game but we can't afford to lose anyone to red cards so we have to be sensible because there are winnable, far more important games than this one.
I'd actually advocate putting a load on the bench for this exact scenario. Players we know we won't use for the rest of the season regardless. If things are going horribly wrong by 60 minutes and there's no chance of changing the result send on a couple like El-Ghazi, Tosun and Patterson with strict instructions to wipe the smug smirks off the faces of one or two of their players even at the risk of a red card. At least walk off the pitch with that lot angry at our tactics rather than laughing at our performance......god I hate them.

The saddest thing is that we could easily get done 6-0 here and I think their fans wouldn’t even bother rubbing it in. We’re such an irrelevance to them now that I think they just feel a bit bad for us.

So, y’know, UTFT and that.
Every dog has its day. Baccie teeth will do one day and they will be back to mid table nothingness

Yes, they are hot favourites.

But....last 10 PL games against them - in a period where they have been in a purple patch in their recent history and we have been pretty poor to say the least.....

Drawn - 5
Everton Win - 1
Liverpool win - 4

Aren’t all the wins (including ours surprisingly) at the pit though?

No 1- 4 last match.

Scrubbed that one from my memory it seems, I wonder why! I still feel like most of the draws take place at Goodison though whereas at their ground it’s been a loss in recent years a majority of the time- especially if you factor in the cup matches as well.

Thoroughly expecting a terrible drubbing. This season everything that can go wrong has gone wrong. Every time we think we’ve finally scraped the bottom of the barrel, the splinters open up to reveal an even deeper layer of the barrel and then another... The only thing I can categorically rule out on Sunday is any form of positive outcome whatsoever. If we get so much as a point here after what we’ve endured all year, it should rank alongside Ronnie Radford knocking Newcastle out of the Cup in the 70s.

Aren’t all the wins (including ours surprisingly) at the pit though?
Put another way: the draws were at Goodison, yes. It isn't going to be easy there and I have us as distant second favourites, but we can get something there if they dont get a couple of goals up by the final stages.

This is an extraordinary derby: one false move from them and their PL title aspirations can be in the bin; we're fighting for our lives.

That has to affect the situation.

The only hope I'm clinging to is that we were a good match for City and very unlucky to lose, so we can do it if the the game plan and mentality are in place come 4.30 on Sunday. We'll have a squad of highly paid pro's who owe us one. A win here and the gap to the bottom 3 opened will right a lot of wrongs for this season. They have to fight like they've never fought before, but it's not impossible.

Status
Not open for further replies.