Li Tie

I remember him having a decent couple of games or two but overall he had to be a marketing gimmick right ?

As someone said maybe part of a sponsorship deal as we were as skint then as we are now.

I found it weird that all our fans seemed to treat him like a 17 year old kid who’d just broke into the first team yet he was like 26 and a full international.

At the time Asian players coming to England were just seen as commercial propositions.

You had Nakata ripping it up in Serie A but I can remember Arsenal signing Inamoto and he never really got a kick. Bolton also signed a striker and basically admitted they did it just to sell shirts in Far East and a few other prem clubs did that.

They've come so far in recent times with someone like Son being one of the best players in his position in the league for many seasons. Japan beating Spain and Germany at last World cup and not really registering as huge shocks anymore.

Give it another 20 years and I think with a decent draw Japan could seriously threaten to win the world cup as they have loads of top level talent in most positions now.