2018/19 Leighton Baines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah I agree, but firstly that still means Silva is involved, so if he says 'I really want player X to get a new contract' there's a decent chance he will be listened to, and secondly what we would like to think happens and what actually happens are often two completely different things at Everton. All I mean is I've seen it quite a lot 'Brands will do this, Brands won't allow that' when we've genuinely got no idea.

We haven’t, we just have to hope based on assumptions from his job role. He’d be the least involved DOF in world football otherwise.

We haven’t, we just have to hope based on assumptions from his job role. He’d be the least involved DOF in world football otherwise.
Again, would that surprise you? People said the same things about Walsh at first, before the truth became apparent. I just prefer to wait and see how someone does before saying what they will and won't do personally.

Again, would that surprise you? People said the same things about Walsh at first, before the truth became apparent. I just prefer to wait and see how someone does before saying what they will and won't do personally.

But what will he do, that you can prove, to say whether he’s a success or not in your eyes?

Like if Baines and Jags aren’t given contracts, do we praise Brands even if it might be a Silva decision etc.?

But what will he do, that you can prove, to say whether he’s a success or not in your eyes?

Like if Baines and Jags aren’t given contracts, do we praise Brands even if it might be a Silva decision etc.?
Well it's like anything to do with the club (or most of life really), you have to make an educated guess based on how things appear from the outside.

So at the moment the team is losing and we're conceding a number of goals from set pieces. It's a reasonable hypothesis that the manager isn't doing a particularly job of coaching the team then, but we don't have any actual proof of it, we're just making a judgement based on what we know. The same applies to Brands, if in a couple of years the operational side of things appears to be going well - we're signing good players, retaining the players we want, moving on the players we don't, seeing clear progression from youth team to first team etc - then it's reasonable to assume he's doing a good job. If we're still signing the equivalents of Bolasie, Keane and Sigurdsson, and still have the actual versions of those players on the books, then it will be reasonable to assume that he's not. We'll never actually know whether it was down to him because we're not privy to all that, but we'll have a decent basis to make a judgement.

At the moment, I think it's too early to know what impact he's had, or will have. The signings we've made have been mixed, the outgoings have been mixed, and he's not had the opportunity to make an obvious impact on style of play etc throughout the club, so we just can't say.

To stay on topic, I would hope that whoever is making the decision doesn't give a contract to Baines, because I think he's now massively injury prone, badly declining, and I'd rather remember him the way he was than end up annoyed that he stayed so long.

It will be a business decision, is it cheaper to give Baines an extra year or buy a back up LB?

Thats what it will boil down to really.

Or we hope that Robinson, Connolly or 1 of the other younger lads can step up and do the job.

What's the plural for Judas?

zj8ad2.jpg

I forgive Tim Cahill, he's retired and only visiting mates. And Mikel can have a reprieve for a while.

The rest can GTF, gang of judases!

Status
Not open for further replies.