Leaking Goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

CanadaToffee

Player Valuation: £10m
Just thinking - why are we leaking goals this season? Is it that we're missing Jags? But even when he was out over the last 2 seasons we were solid at the back. Is it Lescott? But the consensus seems to be that Distin is at least as solid defensively. Yobo? Well I don't see him being any weaker than last year or the year before. Fullbacks are the same or better. Howard is Howard.

Perhaps it's Phil we're missing - except that we were leaking goals before he got injured as well. So what is it?

Probably a combination of factors, including lack of confidence. However, I'm beginning to wonder about Distin as a possible factor. I'm not seeing him do too much obviously wrong, but he seems to be the main variable and TBH I don't rcall Citeh being too solid at the back when he was there, and as for Pompey...

Because we don't have a team. We have 11 players.

We aren't playing as a team and we aren't defending as a team.

The defense has had numerous changes to it over the course of the season and that doesn't help.

Hibbert/Jags/Lescott/Baines was a good balanced defence.

Hibbert/Gosling/Neill/Coleman/Yobo/Hibbert/Distin/Baines/Hibbert isn't.

I'm not sure on stats at all but i'd say there is a good chance teams are having decent posession in our final 3rd therefor a shaky defence is under increased pressure therefor giving teams more opportunity to score.

Add to that the low confidence which is probably floating around the club and its not good.

Jags is a factor, but for me it's Lescott. Not him personally, but the whole affair. Moyes being naive to think it would be fine for him to play in the Arsenal game, when it was clear the natives were restless.

Confidence has not returned. Not even confident in the keeper at the moment, and that's not even his fault.

Jags is a factor, but for me it's Lescott. Not him personally, but the whole affair. Moyes being naive to think it would be fine for him to play in the Arsenal game, when it was clear the natives were restless.

Confidence has not returned. Not even confident in the keeper at the moment, and that's not even his fault.
Think this word says it all.

And the players have lost it in Moyes and happen Moyes has lost it in the players.

Does not alter that Yobo and Distin have been crap. Distin at his age and level of competency was 5 mill poorly spent. A very bad transfer deal.

I think I'm with you on Distin, RJ. And I think Yobo's still the same player but perhaps neither comfortable with, nor confident in, his CD partner.

And the players have lost it in Moyes and happen Moyes has lost it in the players.

Does not alter that Yobo and Distin have been crap. Distin at his age and level of competency was 5 mill poorly spent. A very bad transfer deal.

Don't believe that for one second. We were bound to struggle with the injury list we have had to deal with this season. Only success does breed confidence though and we're very, very, very low on that at the moment. We desperately need a big win, so the Merseyside derby will have a big factor to play on the remainder of our season.

Status
Not open for further replies.