2018/19 Kurt Zouma

Status
Not open for further replies.
MIna alongside Keane for the rest of the season if we arent going to buy Zouma.

The 3 of them arent good enough to be honest but as he's the one on loan then traaa and see what else we can get.

You would think that having Zouma and Keane- both well over six foot - that heading the ball would not be
a problem but it is.

Random thoughts: Mina has to start everytime so that he can be ready for next season and Zouma has to go. However Mina is
on the slowish side and I am not sure that Keane is the solution. I am sure that Holgate is not the solution.

Ah the fun of Silva’s stupid zonal marking scheme. We don’t know who should have had it and neither do the players.
Pretty obvious it was Zouma. He bit on the fake and blew his positioning. Ball fell right into his zone. Gomes had players behind him, he did fine.

You would think that having Zouma and Keane- both well over six foot - that heading the ball would not be
a problem but it is.

Random thoughts: Mina has to start everytime so that he can be ready for next season and Zouma has to go. However Mina is
on the slowish side and I am not sure that Keane is the solution. I am sure that Holgate is not the solution.

If only it were as easy as height...

I’m just frustrated crim

I’m with you. As someone who played CB, not at a high level, but competitively, I cannot understand the unwillingness to attack the ball. I might’ve gotten the occasional foul or card, but NO WAY was I letting anyone beat me to the ball. I never played in a zonal set piece defensive system, but I would’ve loved to. How can you not react to the ball and attack it? As a CB, you typically dread moments when you are 1 v 1 against some burner in the open field. But you LIVE fo those battles in the air. The WORST example was when Keane just stared at the ball Pickford ran out to and tired to punch. Just standing there. Watching.

I’m with you. As someone who played CB, not at a high level, but competitively, I cannot understand the unwillingness to attack the ball. I might’ve gotten the occasional foul or card, but NO WAY was I letting anyone beat me to the ball. I never played in a zonal set piece defensive system, but I would’ve loved to. How can you not react to the ball and attack it? As a CB, you typically dread moments when you are 1 v 1 against some burner in the open field. But you LIVE fo those battles in the air. The WORST example was when Keane just stared at the ball Pickford ran out to and tired to punch. Just standing there. Watching.
You’re 100% right. Part of what does my head in is when Silva says the players have to take ownership. He’s partially right, even though they’re clearly not drilled well enough in how to mark zonally in the first place.
Know how you give players ownership? You tell them to pick up a man and if they lose the battle then that’s on them. Clear assignment gives no one an excuse. At this point back to basics is better than conceding stupid goals every single time out even if it means Silva moving off his ideal and eating some humble pie.

Both our centre backs are second rate and need to be punted at the earliest opportunity.
I haven’t seen enough of Mina to decide so let’s try him with Jagielka who is still superior to any of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.