2022/23 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know about that. Plenty of Brands's signings have been expensive albatrosses around the club's neck, yet he doesn't get anywhere near as much criticism as Walsh did.

His time was filled with players coming in on big contracts, often for fees in excess of £20m, with many of them leaving (or due to leave) for nothing or as good as.

Bernard, Gomes, Mina, Doucoure, Godfrey, Delph, Gbamin, Kean*, Allan, Iwobi...

Brands had more than enough resources available to put a competitive side together, but in the end he got nowhere near.

*I know he's now been sold for something like what we paid, but I'd have preferred to spend that money on somebody who contributed.
But isnt that the point, a good lump of those players were coz managers wanted them
Gbamin is a rough stick to beat him with, very good injury record before everton

Im not saying he didnt get some wrong either, but he wasn't able to strategise properly with shifting managers, interfering owner etc.
And I doubt he'd have bought Maupay lol

If I was in a ridiculously paid job, I wouldn't give a hoot so long as the money kept rolling in. Of course he's going to sign it. What you need to realise is the ridiculous contracts handed out by Everton include a large percentage of "hush money", or in current terms NDA's.
Fair enough, but just keeping his mouth shut and cashing cheques, even when he knew what was happening would end up being a disaster, is tantamount to doing a bad job.

If that's what happened, he fully deserves any resulting reputation damage.

But isnt that the point, a good lump of those players were coz managers wanted them
Gbamin is a rough stick to beat him with, very good injury record before everton

Im not saying he didnt get some wrong either, but he wasn't able to strategise properly with shifting managers, interfering owner etc.
And I doubt he'd have bought Maupay lol
If he can't be pinned for any of the blame, he also can't take credit for anything that worked.

Not that there's much to put in the latter category regardless.

Nothing worked. He can’t be judged by his time at Everton IMO as it’s well documented he wasn’t able to do his job due to Kenwright and Moshiri going above his head.

The only thing I think is fair game is to say he should have quit long before he was fired as a scapegoat for Mosh and Bill. Just a pity so many fans were happy to take the bait and blame him for the shambles that is our club.

Polish_20230430_213053495.png

I'm so happy this clown isnt at Wolves anymore. Thought you would be in trouble when he ended up at Goodison. This is the bloke who signed Grant Holt at Wolves then justified it by saying

"Grant has been at a lot of clubs and there is a reason for that - he is a very good player.

Just wanna say big thank you Kev for replacing Richarlison with McNeil, and signing able backup for Dominic Calvert Lewin in Neal Maupay.

Also, the inspired decision to sign Nobody in January while the club were flirting with relegation and with a limp attack was truly brilliant work.

To be fair to you, I don't think anyone could have predicted that DCL wouldn't play much this season, given his spotless injury record in recent years.

Doing bits, our Big Kev.

Sarcasm aside though GET OUT MY CLUB

Just wanna say big thank you Kev for replacing Richarlison with McNeil, and signing able backup for Dominic Calvert Lewin in Neal Maupay.

Also, the inspired decision to sign Nobody in January while the club were flirting with relegation and with a limp attack was truly brilliant work.

To be fair to you, I don't think anyone could have predicted that DCL wouldn't play much this season, given his spotless injury record in recent years.

Doing bits, our Big Kev.

Sarcasm aside though GET OUT MY CLUB
Mcneil has not been bad, and I think his hands were FFP tied regarding the striker.

Maupay though...

Mcneil has not been bad, and I think his hands were FFP tied regarding the striker.

Maupay though...
I like McNeil but goals were needed after selling Richarlison and DCL's issues (anyone with half a brain would see these would re-occur). Only bringing in McNeil and Maupay is criminal neglect.

I don't care about FFP though - there was NO excuse for not bringing anyone in January. Are you telling me there was no money after the sale of Gordon to bring anyone at all? it didnt have to be a 50 mil striker.

As Eggs would say the feller is payed a lot to identify targets and has come up with Ex Wolves players and limited players with that fabled 'premier league experience'

I like McNeil but goals were needed after selling Richarlison and DCL's issues (anyone with half a brain would see these would re-occur). Only bringing in McNeil and Maupay is criminal neglect.

I don't care about FFP though - there was NO excuse for not bringing anyone in January. Are you telling me there was no money after the sale of Gordon to bring anyone at all? it didnt have to be a 50 mil striker.

As Eggs would say the feller is payed a lot to identify targets and has come up with Ex Wolves players and limited players with that fabled 'premier league experience'
What happened in January was more down to the cowards at the top than Thelwell, if you remember we had a signing in January, then they sacked Lampard the day he was due to wrap up the deal having done the club media then pissed of to warm the Tottenham bench

The Gordon deal was officially confirmed the day Dyche was appointed hence the mad scramble akin to what happened the year before with Lampard’s appointment

McNeil was a terrible signing given the objective was surely to replace Richarlison!

Also Garner, shocking way to spend money when it was clear as day we were desperate for firepower (remember we still had Allan to cover in midfield)

What happened in January was more down to the cowards at the top than Thelwell, if you remember we had a signing in January, then they sacked Lampard the day he was due to wrap up the deal having done the club media then pissed of to warm the Tottenham bench

The Gordon deal was officially confirmed the day Dyche was appointed hence the mad scramble akin to what happened the year before with Lampard’s appointment
He's supposed to be the Director of Football, if the signings don't come off he is culpable. And he shouldn't be scrambling on the final day, it wasn't as if the gordon deal was a sudden bolt from the blue was it? He should have targets lined up, it was such a critical window and now we are suffering for it.

If the likes of Kenwright and Moshiri are interfering he should do something about it instead of ringing his wolves mates to see who's available and playing football manager on the final day.

Status
Not open for further replies.