Kevin Thelwell - New Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like what he is doing with the young players.

Simms, Onyango and Branthwaite all out on loan at good clubs that will help their development.

If he manages to also get Dobbin out and perhaps even a championship club for Warrington, that will be considerably better than what Brands was doing.

It's exactly what we should be doing.

Simms, Onyango and Branthwaite all out on loan at good clubs that will help their development.

If he manages to also get Dobbin out and perhaps even a championship club for Warrington, that will be considerably better than what Brands was doing.

Thsts the thing for me mate, so far can only judge by whst we are seeing.

The stuff with restructuring is progressing well, young players development seems to now be a priority rather than an afterthought.
The deals were doing seem to be hitting the media pretty much when they're almost done - so leaks have stopped.

Three players signed, a dominant cb - we needed we got. A wide player who can deliver a ball and take set pieces we've got, lb cover - we've got.

No player given a new contract who shouldn't be getting one. Young players protected contractually before being loaned out.

I'm confident we will actually address all the major positions we need too.

I agree. Generally, across the club, he seems to be having a decent impact.

Just feel that she should have done a bit more in regards to transfers and scouting network prior to the transfer window.

Signing 2 players from Burnley and a player he knew from Wolves so far is a bit concerning (not because they arent necessarily signings that improve us). Just doesn't feel like he has the links/knowledge of abroad and was reliant on Mendes at wolves. I hope I'm wrong.

he is another bang average PL player, that's all. Our recruitment is just so, so poor and it's nothing to do with money either.
Are you saying that just because he played for Burnley? The lower teams can still have some good players.

I reckon Tarkowski is exactly the type of player we need and what we've been lacking since the Moyes/early Martinez days. He's a leader, experienced, doesn't hide in challenging situations and seems a lot tougher than the likes of Keane.

We've been going after the wrong type of player for years but Gray and Townsend were positive signings last season and this is another one in that sort of bracket.

Not all new additions need to be £20m+ from a foreign league or from a club who have been successful in recent years but see us as an easy target to sell on their rejects to. We need to move away from that.

Vinagre is his mate. We were linked with McNeil before him and he's from down the road. Barkley and Gana are old players. Are our scouts are pathetic or is he not listening to them?

Proof is very much in the pudding, but I like the 3 he's brought in so far.

Tarks does what he says on the tin and 2 young lads, that haven't really shown a lot so far, but I personally think both will do at least ok, which you can't really complain about.

So credit where it's due so far Kev.

Now let's get a few out the door and give yourself some dough to spend.

I know Vingare is a loan, but 3 PREMIER LEAGUE PROVEN, I know people love them, 3 for 20m is decent, for now.

Proof is very much in the pudding, but I like the 3 he's brought in so far.

Tarks does what he says on the tin and 2 young lads, that haven't really shown a lot so far, but I personally think both will do at least ok, which you can't really complain about.

So credit where it's due so far Kev.

Now let's get a few out the door and give yourself some dough to spend.

I know Vingare is a loan, but 3 PREMIER LEAGUE PROVEN, I know people love them, 3 for 20m is decent, for now.
If he brings in another forward (Broja), a 6 (Gueye) and another CM then it will be a successful window. Ideally, we buy Broja and get Gueye as a stop gap until next summer before we look for a younger perm replacement.

If he can also ship out Gomes then it'll be a big bonus.

Vinagre is his mate. We were linked with McNeil before him and he's from down the road. Barkley and Gana are old players. Are our scouts are pathetic or is he not listening to them?

I think what a DoF could get away with at places like Palace, Brighton, Southampton etc. is totally different to what they can do here. Look how young Patterson/Mykolenko were roasted or say Vlasic/Kean - we just don't give the players time to bed in someone coming from a other league. The dream of half a new team of young unknown starlets arriving here is laughable.

I agree. Generally, across the club, he seems to be having a decent impact.

Just feel that she should have done a bit more in regards to transfers and scouting network prior to the transfer window.

Signing 2 players from Burnley and a player he knew from Wolves so far is a bit concerning (not because they arent necessarily signings that improve us). Just doesn't feel like he has the links/knowledge of abroad and was reliant on Mendes at wolves. I hope I'm wrong.

He might not have as broad a global knowledge yet mate, in a way I'm glad then he's not trying to take random punts and sticking with what he knows. We can't afford wasting money especially so now, play it safer get players in that fit what you need and with development room if possible.

So far he's 3/3 on signing what we need and avoiding the 'why we signed him for' all three signings you can understand exactly why we have bought them, whst they bring, and ehst gap they fill in the squad.

Question now is - can he address the other areas that also need incoming players

Status
Not open for further replies.