Kevin Thelwell - New Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you swap out McNeil for a Striker, it would have been really good.

DCL, Maupay, Gordon, Gray is very meh I don't see 25 goals out of them.

Disappointed but the squad is ultimately stronger and I believe Onana will step up with some goals now that we have Gueye to play No 6.

I would love him to come out and explain the McNeil signing at some point.

The Mcneil signing is sound if his only job is to double up with Patterson and be absolutely solid down that side.

That should then be improved by am additional creative player somewhere else on the pitch whose job it is to create goals and score them

Because there's no way we signed Mcneil with the thought that he might get 6-8 goals and 5 assists......or maybe they did because this is how our thought process works

Bit disappointed we didn’t get an out and out centre forward but having said that our defence is better and our midfield is better. Given the position our Board has placed us in I think we come out of this window stronger than we went in. We will struggle to get goals but we won’t concede as any. We now look like a solid mid table team.

I would love him to come out and explain the McNeil signing at some point.
I imagine it’ll be something like this:

“We signed a young player that has a lot of Premier League experience, is widely regarded as a hard worker and has years where he can improve working under a more attacking manager, all for just £15m with just £4m up front.”

Or does that not suit the narrative that he’s crap, despite him literally being one of our best players against Leeds? Get off his back ffs, it’s mad, I’ve never seen a player made to be such a scapegoat so early into his career, especially when he’s not even playing particularly badly, in a team that’s not playing particularly badly.

God forbid a player be simply an alright decent sensible signing in this day and age. I know what’s coming as well, “Oh he was crap for Burnley”, they scored about 5 goals in the history of the Premier League, I’m quite sure Tarkowski looked crap for them too last season. People said Cornet was crap as well until West Ham bought him and then we were fools for not paying up for him, it’s even been said a lot tonight.

Just give it a rest ffs.

I imagine it’ll be something like this:

“We signed a young player that has a lot of Premier League experience, is widely regarded as a hard worker and has years where he can improve working under a more attacking manager, all for just £15m with just £4m up front.”

Or does that not suit the narrative that he’s crap, despite him literally being one of our best players against Leeds? Get off his back ffs, it’s mad, I’ve never seen a player made to be such a scapegoat so early into his career, especially when he’s not even playing particularly badly, in a team that’s not playing particularly badly.

God forbid a player be simply an alright decent sensible signing in this day and age. I know what’s coming as well, “Oh he was crap for Burnley”, they scored about 5 goals in the history of the Premier League, I’m quite sure Tarkowski looked crap for them too last season. People said Cornet was crap as well until West Ham bought him and then we were fools for not paying up for him, it’s even been said a lot tonight.

Just give it a rest ffs.

No he didn’t.

replaced Richarlison with McNeil.
Prolonged the Gana transfer.
Never signed a RW for us.

We need this guy out.
You may not agree with me but wait after a few games. If Gray gets injured we’re stuck with our goalless Richarlison replacement upfront.
We have no depth in attack.

If you swap out McNeil for a Striker, it would have been really good.

Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Maupay, Gordon, Gray is very meh I don't see 25 goals out of them.

Disappointed but the squad is ultimately stronger and I believe Onana will step up with some goals now that we have Gueye to play No 6.
Calvert-Lewin - 10
Gordon - 6
Maupay - 5
Gray - 4

Don't think that is too much of a stretch and I think Gordon could get more than that, I agree with Onana he will be a big threat in the box.

God forbid a player be simply an alright decent sensible signing in this day and age.
I think the whole question - and i'm not claiming to know the answer - is whether he was a 'sensible' signing. The point people are making is that he doesn't seem a natural fit for the system we play, and for a team which doesn't create much or score many, signing a player who doesn't have a record of doing either of those things doesn't actually seem like a sensible thing to do at all. That doesn't mean he can't be a good signing, but it does make your glib response a bit pointless.

I think the whole question - and i'm not claiming to know the answer - is whether he was a 'sensible' signing. The point people are making is that he doesn't seem a natural fit for the system we play, and for a team which doesn't create much or score many, signing a player who doesn't have a record of doing either of those things doesn't actually seem like a sensible thing to do at all. That doesn't mean he can't be a good signing, but it does make your glib response a bit pointless.
Last season apart because Burnley were awful, the unchanging boring system was found out and the wheels came off, McNeil had 7,9,7 attacking returns in the previous three seasons. That's not bad for a young lad playing in a boring team. He has a higher ceiling. My biggest issue is his reluctance to use his right foot and whether or not that can change can't be known now. He works hard, isn't in our first 11 when everyone is fit and is not a bad investment imo.
I think calling previous posters comments 'glib' is a bit inaccurate. He seemed sincere and made some good points. Doesn't mean agreement is necessary all the time but one thing is for sure, judging this player as a bad signing or not a 'sensible' signing a few games into his Everton career is harsh at best and definitely counter productive

Last season apart because Burnley were awful, the unchanging boring system was found out and the wheels came off, McNeil had 7,9,7 attacking returns in the previous three seasons. That's not bad for a young lad playing in a boring team. He has a higher ceiling. My biggest issue is his reluctance to use his right foot and whether or not that can change can't be known now. He works hard, isn't in our first 11 when everyone is fit and is not a bad investment imo.
I think calling previous posters comments 'glib' is a bit inaccurate. He seemed sincere and made some good points. Doesn't mean agreement is necessary all the time but one thing is for sure, judging this player as a bad signing or not a 'sensible' signing a few games into his Everton career is harsh at best and definitely counter productive
He may well have been sincere but if you're going to 'ffs' people repeatedly while making a point that doesn't really stand up to any scrutiny then glib is probably a fairly polite response to be honest.

I'm not really a fan of just pretending last season doesn't exist to make his stats sound better either really, but even if we do it doesn't change the point at hand. As I said, this isn't me saying he'll be a waste of money, only time will tell on that score, it's me saying i can see why people aren't sure that he was the right profile of player to be signing at this moment in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.