Firmino
(Son)
(Moura)
(Werner?)
Giroud
Aubameyang
Lacazette
Jimenez

Like I said, he's done really well this year, but he's still a bit behind most if not all the above imo, especially in terms of overall ability and skill level.
Of the actual CFs you've listed most are at the end of their careers and the others haven't scored anywhere near as many as DCL over the last year. You'd be mad to swap any of them for him.

Hahaha. You are being so very, very, dumb... :Blink: lol

Vardy
Rashford
Aguero
Salah
Jota?
Firmino
(Son)
(Moura)
(Werner?)
Giroud
Aubameyang
Lacazette
Jimenez

Like I said, he's done really well this year, but he's still a bit behind most if not all the above imo, especially in terms of overall ability and skill level.

I know. Some top DaveK-style goal post moving. It's almost as if they're in the wrong and need to spin the argument so that they can claim they're right. Or they're just thick :coffee:

Haha, I've been multi-quoting since before Zat started pushing every half decent u18 for a place in our starting 11!! :eek: :p

Apparently yes, but nothing concrete on that from what I've seen in this thread.

Just looking at that list mate, very few of them are even close to DCL now.

You could debate Salah, Son & Vardy. I still reckon he will score more open play goals than each if he hadnt been injured.

The rest are miles behind DCL. Some at some point in the past may have been better, but they are not now.

The lad is absolutely world class and has been for 12-15 months.

Of the actual CFs you've listed most are at the end of their careers and the others haven't scored anywhere near as many as DCL over the last year. You'd be mad to swap any of them for him.
Well you did ask who I thought was better, not who I'd have instead!! But true, with many of them it would be a tough call which I'd prefer, given age etc, but there's still a good few I would take instead I think.

You could debate Salah, Son & Vardy. I still reckon he will score more open play goals than each if he hadnt been injured.

The rest are miles behind DCL. Some at some point in the past may have been better, but they are not now.

He has come on well since Ancelotti has arrived, and I wish this were true, but it's simply not imo. Aspects of his game are very good, even exceptional, but his overall game is not there yet, and he hasn't proved that he can score this amount of goals over multiple seasons. Nail that and he might just be there.

As for Zirkzee, he looked good on his trial with us. Better than Simms did when I first saw him around that age. But I wouldn't want to rely on a largely untested 19 year old as our main backup to DCL, especially given that Calvert-Lewin has progressed so much so quickly I think it will be difficult to maintain that throughout the season. We need someone more reliable to back him up/share the load imo. But as an option for the future, I'm for it.

Well you did ask who I thought was better, not who I'd have instead!! But true, with many of them it would be a tough call which I'd prefer, given age etc, but there's still a good few I would take instead I think.

He has come on well since Ancelotti has arrived, and I wish this were true, but it's simply not imo. Aspects of his game are very good, even exceptional, but his overall game is not there yet, and he hasn't proved that he can score this amount of goals over multiple seasons. Nail that and he might just be there.

As for Zirkzee, he looked good on his trial with us. Better than Simms did when I first saw him around that age. But I wouldn't want to rely on a largely untested 19 year old as our main backup to DCL, especially given that Calvert-Lewin has progressed so much so quickly I think it will be difficult to maintain that throughout the season. We need someone more reliable to back him up/share the load imo. But as an option for the future, I'm for it.
Someone more reliable costs around 50m and isn't willing to play back up to DCL.

Don't get me wrong some of them names are questionable, like bobby firmino and jiminez but Salah? Come on lad he gets 20-30 goals a season and has for years, DCL is a million miles away from the like of Salah atm

He has scored multiple goals over 2 seasons. Which is more than most on your list have.

Since Ancelotti has come in, I'm not sure anybody has scored more league goals in open play. The likes of Jota are ok, but he got 7 last season and is on 5 this season. I doubt he makes 10. Hes a nice player, but hes levels behind DCL.

Someone more reliable costs around 50m and isn't willing to play back up to DCL.
Cool story bro?
He has scored multiple goals over 2 seasons. Which is more than most on your list have.

Since Ancelotti has come in, I'm not sure anybody has scored more league goals in open play. The likes of Jota are ok, but he got 7 last season and is on 5 this season. I doubt he makes 10. Hes a nice player, but hes levels behind DCL.
Think he got 13 last year or something? I thought/hoped he'd get 15-20 this year, which it looks like he will certainly get, and maybe surpass. For me a top, top, striker needs to be getting 25 a season. Jota apparently has 9 goals, at nearly a goal a game. I put a ? next to him as I only saw bits and pieces last year, and less this year due to who he plays for!! :eek: :D However what small bits I've seen he has looked good to me, but at this point in time I wouldn't swap DCL for him.

Edit: Also just checked (cos apparently I've nothing better to do at 12am on a Weds night!), and nearly all that list have multiple years of 10+ goals a season (all comps as some haven't played many/any PL games).

Last edited:
Cool story bro?

Think he got 13 last year or something? I thought/hoped he'd get 15-20 this year, which it looks like he will certainly get, and maybe surpass. For me a top, top, striker needs to be getting 25 a season. Jota apparently has 9 goals, at nearly a goal a game. I put a ? next to him as I only saw bits and pieces last year, and less this year due to who he plays for!! :eek: :D However what small bits I've seen he has looked good to me, but at this point in time I wouldn't swap DCL for him.

Edit: Also just checked (cos apparently I've nothing better to do at 12am on a Weds night!), and nearly all that list have multiple years of 10+ goals a season (all comps as some haven't played many/any PL games).
25 goals in the league, huh? So there's not been a top top player in the league for awhile I take it?

25 goals in the league, huh? So there's not been a top top player in the league for awhile I take it?
3 years ago 2 players scored 29/30. The year before 3 got 24+. The last couple of seasons top scorer has got 22/23, but mainly because guys like Harry Kane only played 28/29 games. Also I never said league goals.

b05c378bcaca83bb068b407e48713eec.gif

Precisely - we have the best young pure striker in the world at the moment. If age didn't matter, sure, swap for Lewa or Salah. But it does.

I happen to think that Rashford is the more complete and therefore valuable player, but he's not what we need at the moment.

Massively weird take that DCL/we have been “lucky” with his development.

Even when most fans didn’t see it and he wasn’t scoring, Dom was playing regularly and had been picked by managers.

It’s no luck that it happened, it was patience and world class player development that has made him the player he is today.

We’re in the top 5 spending wise in Europe, but stuck with DCL instead of splashing on forwards.. luck lol

Brands deserves credit for it, as do Dunc, Carlo and Silva.

Anyway, our record of bringing young players on shows that Zirkzee is a smart buy. Bags of potential and raw talent, but he needs the right coaching.

It doesn’t always work out i.e. Lookman and some would argue Kean (despite his form in France), but it’s hard to argue with our success rate.

3 years ago 2 players scored 29/30. The year before 3 got 24+. The last couple of seasons top scorer has got 22/23, but mainly because guys like Harry Kane only played 28/29 games. Also I never said league goals.

b05c378bcaca83bb068b407e48713eec.gif
So 1 season since 2013/14. And DCL doesn't take penalties, so basically your standard is being a generational player. That's reasonable.

Cool story bro?
Well to buy the names on your list you are probably talking 50m+, for most of them and also some of them were even bought for such an amount.

Proven quality goal scorers cost big, big money.

Maybe you recall us selling 1 for almost 100m a few years back.

Status
Not open for further replies.