John Stones

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I watch everton I am always hoping him or Barkley get the ball.... I can watch those two all day long.... He is the only center back in my lifetime that I actually enjoy watch play... I'm 33

When I watch everton I am always hoping him or Barkley get the ball.... I can watch those two all day long.... He is the only center back in my lifetime that I actually enjoy watch play... I'm 33
I'm having that, because he is an actual footballer, and not just some grock who wasn't good enough to play midfield, like the vast majority of british centre halves

Whilst I understand what you're saying, there's more to be being a good centre-back than being composed on the ball.

Centre-backs are one of the positions we've been blessed with over the years. We've had some crackers.

If our centre forwards had been as consistent and good as our centre-backs over the last ten years or so, then we'd have some new shiny pots, imo.

Whilst I understand what you're saying, there's more to be being a good centre-back than being composed on the ball.

Centre-backs are one of the positions we've been blessed with over the years. We've had some crackers.

If our centre forwards had been as consistent and good as our centre-backs over the last ten years or so, then we'd have some new shiny pots, imo.

I understand what your saying and I would hardly say we were "blessed" over the years with regard to cb's. We have had many good defenders but they couldn't pass wind never mind a football.... Keeping the ball and playing from the back is important to all top teams.... We have rom, Ross, jimmy mac, stones, basic, Coleman, and potentially Galloway that are all young and are going to be top players but they will make mistakes..... But if we keep playing them and let them develop in 2 years with good signings we will be right up there IMO

I understand what your saying and I would hardly say we were "blessed" over the years with regard to cb's. We have had many good defenders but they couldn't pass wind never mind a football.... Keeping the ball and playing from the back is important to all top teams.... We have rom, Ross, jimmy mac, stones, basic, Coleman, and potentially Galloway that are all young and are going to be top players but they will make mistakes..... But if we keep playing them and let them develop in 2 years with good signings we will be right up there IMO

When I say blessed, I'm talking relatively. Hence why I compared our centre backs with our strikers over the last ten years.

He's young and he's still learning so mistakes are expected I guess, let's just hope we see his A game against Arsenal :)
I'd be happy to see anyone's A game, so far we've seen Naismith playing to an expected level, and that's pretty much it.

When I say blessed, I'm talking relatively. Hence why I compared our centre backs with our strikers over the last ten years.

Stones is quality IMO and although needs to improve on parts of his game... The hardest part for a cb to learn ( it seems) is to be composed with the ball.... I can't think of a single defender that has or had the same composure and technique at the same age.

Stones is quality IMO and although needs to improve on parts of his game... The hardest part for a cb to learn ( it seems) is to be composed with the ball.... I can't think of a single defender that has or had the same composure and technique at the same age.

You're right, he's very composed on the ball. However, with us hoping for top 4 this season, I'd swap him for Dave Watson in his peak.

The issue is that he's a tweener...should perhaps be captaining the U21's but, at the same time, he's just that little bit too good to not have on the subs bench. From the outside, it looks like a tough call...just have to trust the manager.

Nailed the dilemma there. You want to develop a Barkley or a Stones the best place to do it is in the first team against top opposition. Barkley and Martinez have both talked about how Martinez has said to Barkley just play your game, learn and don't be afraid to make mistakes.

The thing is when Barkley makes a mistake you'll normally lose the ball deep in to opposition territory, when Stones makes a mistake there's a decent chance you'll concede a goal. It'll be more visible, remembered longer and makes him vulnerable to criticism.

Personally I'd just say F all that. The lad has obvious stellar potential, let him play his natural game, improve and if we concede the occasional goal that costs us a result it'll sting, but so be it. The rewards will be more than worth it long term when (/if [if you insist]) he becomes a top centre back of world football.

Last edited:

You're right, he's very composed on the ball. However, with us hoping for top 4 this season, I'd swap him for Dave Watson in his peak.

I'd swap any of our centre backs for Dave Watson at his peak, but I think Stones at his peak will be better.

Its a long season and I am concerned about what will happen when we've dropped everyone and we are on our 40th from best defender. Just not sure our senior accountant will be better than Stones, and if he makes a mistake its Hibbert next ffs.

Genuine spit your drink out moment. :)

Best CB ability wise at the club.

Would rather he started ahead of distin as first choice.

Stones will make mistakes but he will cut it out with experience, and if i'm brutally honest distin makes an error every game and is 36. I'd rather Distin be used sparingly and in cup games / europe. With stones as our main choice CB to get the experience he does need to begin to cut out the odd mistake he has in him.

He's the future of the club.

The knee-jerk is incredible.

Barkley: Moyes was a fool for not giving him the chance to step up when he was clearly ready.

Stones: He occasionally makes mistakes so he should go out on loan.

If we had 2 other senior centre backs of Stones' quality without the youthful lack of discipline, I would be all for sending him out on loan, but we are no where close to having that luxury. Even with Stones, we likely need to sign another centre back.

He's a wonderful centre half at the moment, just needs experience and he will get some as we are playing more games this season and no doubt someone will get injured. Thought he wasn't too bad at right back on the weekend but in the middle is his position.

Same as any young lid there will be ups and downs. But them ups are going to be ace.

Status
Not open for further replies.