John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stones needs shut of that agent.

Depends on your perspective.

Agents should get the best for their clients. If agitating a move to Chelsea ended up with Stones trebling his wage and playing for the Champions, then you could say he's done his job.

However I would argue agents also need to understand their clients and not cause them havoc in a personal way. What works for Raheem Sterling and Joleon Lescott may not work for John Stones.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/john-stones-true-evertonian-praises-6351383

John Stones is a 'true Evertonian' praises Roberto Martinez in wake of relentless Chelsea pursuit

The Everton boss revealed his Blues will take action to protect their players from unwanted advances during future transfer windows

John Stones helped Everton move a point clear of megabucks Chelsea in the Premier League table – and was rewarded with priceless praise from his captain Phil Jagielka.

Roberto Martinez revealed his Blues will take action to protect their players from unwanted advances during future transfer windows.

He claimed the England Under-21 defender’s transfer request “was something he didn’t mean to do”.

But at White Hart Lane, actions spoke louder than words.

Stones showed his footballing brain as Everton cut off the supply line to Harry Kanein this disappointing draw.

The defender then went over and applauded travelling fans - some of whom had vilified him in midweek.

Martinez hailed his young centre-back, who has attracted four bids from Chelsea, as a “true Evertonian” and a future England captain.

The champions could certainly have used him this weekend.

And defensive partner Jagielka reckoned his display in the spotlight showed 21-year-old Stones is made of the right stuff to go all the way.

“It’s been a difficult few weeks for John, but it’s testament to the character and person he is at such a young age that he’s just got on with it,” he said.

“You look at the five games we’ve played so far this season, he’s probably been one of our best players in most of them.

“The main thing is John said he hasn’t let anyone down and today is testament that he hasn’t.

"The main thing, his football has done the talking.”

Everton supporters celebrated the non-sale of Stones by updating a Beatles classic to ‘Money Can’t Buy You Stones’.

They have a fortnight to add to their repertoire before Jose Mourinho’s side visit Goodison Park in their next match.

Blues boss Martinez said: “We are going to take extra measures in every window from now on to protect players and help them through because it is all becoming too much.

“John’s been put under massive, massive pressure.

"The transfer request was something he didn’t mean to do. For us it’s closed in that respect and his performance showed that.

“The fans appreciated it.

"As a club we have our own ambitions and project. We may not have a Champions League budget, but we’re a very big club.”

But neither side looked like Champions League candidates on this display.

Tim Howard produced a string of saves although Hugo Lloris produced the best stop of the match from Tom Cleverley, who was later stretchered off.

Depends on your perspective.

Agents should get the best for their clients. If agitating a move to Chelsea ended up with Stones trebling his wage and playing for the Champions, then you could say he's done his job.

However I would argue agents also need to understand their clients and not cause them havoc in a personal way. What works for Raheem Sterling and Joleon Lescott may not work for John Stones.

Aye that's what I mean. Needs an agent that understands his character and that sort of stuff.

Aye that's what I mean. Needs an agent that understands his character and that sort of stuff.

Martinez said on Wednesday that 'we need to look after him' basically having a dig at his agent, and i dont know about everyone else but that TR was a shock to me mainly because i didnt believe John was that type of person/player and again it comes back to the agent.

Martinez said on Wednesday that 'we need to look after him' basically having a dig at his agent, and i dont know about everyone else but that TR was a shock to me mainly because i didnt believe John was that type of person/player and again it comes back to the agent.

Agree there.

Think it shocked all of us, because he genuinely seems a nice, grounded lad who just wants to play togger.

I blame him! It's his agent, he basically pays his wages but he can tell him no or sack him! True he's probably been ill advised but he still had a part to play in all off this. I'm not saying I don't blame him for having his head turned but he's no angel, in my eyes in all of this. Saying that I hope he stays and continues to perform to the high standards he has been.

meh, he has had his head turned... anyone connected to the club said he is one of the most professional lads there, i expected nothing less the him facing the music and playing.

if am honest, id like a rooney esk "the worst mistake i ever made was putting in a transfer request" statement, but we wont get that. I think we showed balls because we know what the lad will be worth next summer, extra sky money, terry further on the slip... Shame, if we showed a tiny bit of balls in the transfer market we could how intent to move forward.

The issue with agents is all to do with alignment of interests.

An agent is interested in activity regardless of whether or not it is in the player's best interest because generally they earn a percentage of their client's earnings. Thus if a player benefits financially from a move (fees/percentage of transfer fee/increase in salary/image rights etc) then so does the agent.

How about an entirely different business model where the agent earns a flat fee regardless of what the player earns.

It happens elsewhere in business, I might pay a lawyer and an accountant a flat fee for their advice and work over the course of the year - it has nothing to do with what I might or might not earn - I just pay for their time.

If agents were remunerated on the same basis, perhaps then they'd act in their clients interest rather than be driven by activity/turnover.

Hardly. He would have walked into that Chelsea team, won stuff and made twice as much doing it. It would have been a good move for him, make no mistake. He signed a contract with us though and we were right not to sell him.

It was bad advice to tell him to hand a request in at this stage in the window IMO - trying to back Everton into a corner. If it was to be done it should have been earlier in the window.

The issue with agents is all to do with alignment of interests.

An agent is interested in activity regardless of whether or not it is in the player's best interest because generally they earn a percentage of their client's earnings. Thus if a player benefits financially from a move (fees/percentage of transfer fee/increase in salary/image rights etc) then so does the agent.

How about an entirely different business model where the agent earns a flat fee regardless of what the player earns.

It happens elsewhere in business, I might pay a lawyer and an accountant a flat fee for their advice and work over the course of the year - it has nothing to do with what I might or might not earn - I just pay for their time.

If agents were remunerated on the same basis, perhaps then they'd act in their clients interest rather than be driven by activity/turnover.
Great theory, but it belongs in Corbyns dossier mate.

When the agent is earning more, then so is the player, that's why it is as it is. Greed driving greed. Sad but true.

Great theory, but it belongs in Corbyns dossier mate.

When the agent is earning more, then so is the player, that's why it is as it is. Greed driving greed. Sad but true.

I hear what you say but why does it work with other professional advisors? What I earn has nothing to do with my lawyer or accountant?

Status
Not open for further replies.