John Stones transfer saga

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been struggling to make sense on where I stand on this but I feel we are in a damned if we do damned if we don't type situation.

On one hand keeping Stones shows great intent and resolve. On the other hand if the player wants to leave, and we don't achieve anything substantial this season, then he will still want to leave next summer and we go through this again.

In my heart I would love for the strategy of keeping our young, potentially class players together and watch them mature and help us succeed. It seems to be the only way we can do it with limited finances and investment. However this strategy has a big question mark over it. How long will it take? Will us fans have the patience to see it through, especially should a period of results like last season occur? Will the players themselves be happy to give it the time needed?

If we sell now, which obviously cant happen now due to last weeks events, then we can re invest and bulk out our thin squad. This sounds good on paper but in practice who can we seriously get who will improve us. We could buy three or four players but in reality one or maybe two of them will succeed with the others being useless as often happens in this scenario.

So keep Stones and hope we come good quick or sell and in doing so green light the sales of Barkley, Lukaku etc in the future also. Personally I cant see a happy ending here. Or maybe its just Sunday evening pessimism.

I've been struggling to make sense on where I stand on this but I feel we are in a damned if we do damned if we don't type situation.

On one hand keeping Stones shows great intent and resolve. On the other hand if the player wants to leave, and we don't achieve anything substantial this season, then he will still want to leave next summer and we go through this again.

In my heart I would love for the strategy of keeping our young, potentially class players together and watch them mature and help us succeed. It seems to be the only way we can do it with limited finances and investment. However this strategy has a big question mark over it. How long will it take? Will us fans have the patience to see it through, especially should a period of results like last season occur? Will the players themselves be happy to give it the time needed?

If we sell now, which obviously cant happen now due to last weeks events, then we can re invest and bulk out our thin squad. This sounds good on paper but in practice who can we seriously get who will improve us. We could buy three or four players but in reality one or maybe two of them will succeed with the others being useless as often happens in this scenario.

So keep Stones and hope we come good quick or sell and in doing so green light the sales of Barkley, Lukaku etc in the future also. Personally I cant see a happy ending here. Or maybe its just Sunday evening pessimism.
Or how about this crazy concept

Make players on long contracts see out those contracts

Well we could do that I suppose. But would that be in our best interests also?
In the interests of ambition yes

What's to say those young players don't all click together and win the league a la man United 1992-93

Unlikely I know but selling our family silver is not the way forward for me

Or how about this crazy concept

Make players on long contracts see out those contracts

That only works if the player remains professional and performance isn't hindered by a negative attitude.

It's such an impossible line, isn't it? You have to build up enough talent to compete for CL and trophies, and you have to win those things before other opportunities arise for the young players.

@davek you resigned to losing stones? But happy to accept the alleged £38m now? I think its quite obvious its been agreed he can go next summer with a go
I dont see a defence that's worth keeping in its present shape. We relied on Howard there to get those two CBs out of jail yesterday. They stunk, as per usual.
I'll speak the unspeakable truth here: we have one of the worst CD pairings in the PL. They look good on paper but are a disaster zone in reality.

£30M regardless of the Barnsley situation would have been way more preferable than this.
Harsh that Dave, i think they are reliable to be honest. I rate Stones highly and £38m is what we're capable of right now, i see Bill is holding on for a good Euros to rebuild half of Goodison with at least £50m though.

In the interests of ambition yes

What's to say those young players don't all click together and win the league a la man United 1992-93

Unlikely I know but selling our family silver is not the way forward for me

It kind of isn't for me also however i have Jekyll and Hyde thing going on. Stones seems a level headed professional type and will just get on with it. We are fortunate in that respect. I just have this nagging feeling that we cant win either way.

That only works if the player remains professional and performance isn't hindered by a negative attitude.

It's such an impossible line, isn't it? You have to build up enough talent to compete for CL and trophies, and you have to win those things before other opportunities arise for the young players.
Correct mate,the player can be unprofessional but the consequences could be devastating not just for the club but for him,imagine Stones playing for the u21s for the season because he refused to conform

Everton should lead this rebellion against player power,the first step has been made

@davek you resigned to losing stones? But happy to accept the alleged £38m now? I think its quite obvious its been agreed he can go next summer with a go

Harsh that Dave, i think they are reliable to be honest. I rate Stones highly and £38m is what we're capable of right now, i see Bill is holding on for a good Euros to rebuild half of Goodison with at least £50m though.

We dont have owners that can keep Stones and provide a desperately needed transfer budget. That's the way it's looking with 46 hours to go in this window.

Correct mate,the player can be unprofessional but the consequences could be devastating not just for the club but for him,imagine Stones playing for the u21s for the season because he refused to conform

Everton should lead this rebellion against player power,the first step has been made

I think we're both trying to reach the same place but through different means. In my eyes, Everton need to lead the charge not against player power, but in creating an environment and developing a relationship with their players that makes them not want to leave.

Recruiting players you already have is a big concept in American sports, and while I don't know to what extent it has carried over to English football, I think it's worth exploring further.

I think we're both trying to reach the same place but through different means. In my eyes, Everton need to lead the charge not against player power, but in creating an environment and developing a relationship with their players that makes them not want to leave.

Recruiting players you already have is a big concept in American sports, and while I don't know to what extent it has carried over to English football, I think it's worth exploring further.
The only problem is we can develop the best relationships with the players(John Stones so happy at Everton he penned a five year contract 12 months ago and seemingly ecstatic at the club)then the agent comes into play,this I feel is the problem,the agents

Status
Not open for further replies.