John Bailey

Nothing to do with John Bailey but as it’s to do with Goodison Road and might lighten the mood here it is;

I was walking down Goodison Road before a game in about about 2010/2011 and Fabio Capello was walking towards me. I said “Alright Spider” and he smiled, said hello and kept walking. Turns out he’s the spitting image of a mate’s eldest brother (who was called Spider because when he played footy he was all arms and legs).

It was only when Spider didn’t stop and chat that I realised it wasn’t him and that it was Fabio. Good of him to say hello though eh! 😀

….mentioned him earlier on the old pics thread when i was recalling playing alongside him in Liverpool Boys U15 trials. He stuck in my mind because I distinctly remember crossing a ball from the right, it kicked up when it hit the ground and John headed it into the net. It was all very serious but he went wild in his celebration, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a kid so enthusiastic about playing.

We got the 46 bus home and all he kept asking was, ‘do you think we’ll get in’. Sadly he didn’t but I remembered him and was chuffed when he made the breakthrough at Blackburn and even more chuffed watching him at Wembley in ‘84. I think He was from Netherfield Rd/Scotty Rd area. A proper character and great company.
I thought he was from around Soho Street…maybe the 4 squares?