Jimmy Husband.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Weirdly I have no recollection of that mate! Nice one.
My best memory of Husband is the most sensational strike when the ball ( a long pass from Tommy Wright around the half way line) dropped over his shoulder and he hit it on the full volley! Incredible technique.
If that was the Chelsea goal then it was an Alan ball pass from the deep on the right - where Tommy might have been expected to be.

I recall that he eventually recovered from that and was recalled to the team in New Year 1971. He was absolutely terrific then before being similarly pole axed by a Panathanaikos defender in the European Cup
Spot on about Panathanaikos, but, the Dave McKay onecwas in 68, he was only out for about 2 months but was never quite the same , good but not quite the same.

Weirdly I have no recollection of that mate! Nice one.
My best memory of Husband is the most sensational strike when the ball ( a long pass from Tommy Wright around the half way line) dropped over his shoulder and he hit it on the full volley! Incredible technique.
A couple of stills of that goal have recently been put on the Old Photos thread. A move started by John Hurst on the edge of his own box and ended less than 10 seconds later with the ball in the back of the Chelsea net, via Kendall, Ball and Husband.
PS - I recall it as a first time half-volley but I know that many agree with you that he had volleyed it. Either way, the best team goal I've ever witnessed.

A couple of stills of that goal have recently been put on the Old Photos thread. A move started by John Hurst on the edge of his own box and ended less than 10 seconds later with the ball in the back of the Chelsea net, via Kendall, Ball and Husband.
PS - I recall it as a first time half-volley but I know that many agree with you that he had volleyed it. Either way, the best team goal I've ever witnessed.
Yep I had a quick look at the photos a wee while ago. I think there was a paper report too which was a good read. Might have another look to reflect on volley/half-volley debate. I was more or less on line with him about the edge of the box in the Goodison Road stand (thanks Dad!!!!)
It happened so fast.... one second the ball is in the air for quite a distance, a micro second later you see him straighten his body to sort of get under the flight of the ball and then in the blink of an every he has whacked it in!! The crowd was buzzing for ages afterwards people saying to each other did that just happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.