2019/20 Jarrad Branthwaite

Status
Not open for further replies.
I‘d say he’s about 6foot 4 ins , same height as Distin , based upon seeing him alongside team mates and various versions of his height . He’s likely to fill out a bit too .His speed is deceptive , he covers the ground like the big unit he is with long strides and comparatively slow cadence compared to others , but he gets there .

I wrote earlier that i saw him in the wall with DCL and Keane.

He looked massive next to Keane (may have been the angle) and i rewound...seemed to be a good 2 or even 3 inches taller than Keane.

DCL also looked slightly taller than Keane though, may have been the angle.

He'll be some unit depending on whether we build him for speed/athleticism or strength...

Gibson has done very well at Fleetwood and I have to say I was impressed with him last pre-season, however Braithwaite looks bigger and strong to me. Left sided CB are very sought after, so to have 2 like we do if a major plus point.

I said a few weeks ago I sensed Braithwaite had jumped ahead of Gibson, just on little clips in training and how he held himself. Last night he was fantastic and has it all really. What struck me was how positive Carragher was about him in both games.

He's big, strong, decent in the air, and passes the ball well. He got clattered early doors winning a header with Mings and it didn't affect him at all which is about as positive a thing you can say for the lad. Lots of player who've just turned 18 would have let their heads drop.

Its probably a bonus signing that Brands needed as well. He's understandably coming in for some criticism with signings but early indications are that this lad looks a real player, and again bought for peanuts.

The hope I have is we shelve our CB signing ambitions, if an offer comes in for Mina/Keane which is a good offer sell one and bring one in but essentially spend what money we have in midfield.

Carragher was in love with him wasnt he lol

My hope is that we add 1 CB like Gabriel to play next to Holgate + Branthwaite is a rotation option for Gabriel (both left footed). Send Gibson on loan to the Championship for a season.

At right centre back we would only need one player behind Holgate.

Id sell Keane and Mina and bring in an u21 as a rotation option...

We'd bring in £50-60mil which helps with FFP.

Unfortunately he will need more than size to be a successful premier League defender. At times last night and, especially towards the end of the match, he got too close to the attacker. A good attacker could spin him.

Thought he did okay but Villa are a very poor team and centre half is the most difficult position to play as a youngster. It took Holgate a long time to get ready for this level. I doubt this young lad will be thrown in too much next season.
I feel like that isn't exactly true. I thought Holgate was quite good, raw..but good, as a youngster(which he still is). It was that Liverpool match that he kind of just..went away for some reason.

I feel like that isn't exactly true. I thought Holgate was quite good, raw..but good, as a youngster(which he still is). It was that Liverpool match that he kind of just..went away for some reason.

Fair point. In reflection Holgate did do really well when he was first brought in. As I said, centre half is the hardest position on the pitch for a youngster to come into. You make a mistake there it more than likely results in a goal. Be nice if this lad develops but I´d feel more comfortable if we brought another defender in this summer ahead of him in the pecking order.

Status
Not open for further replies.