January 2019 Transfer Window

Status
Not open for further replies.
@davek I don’t know if you noticed but in summer there was a World Cup on.

We also signed richarlison Digne Gomes mina and zouma.

We also sorted sales/loans out for several players.

Rome wasn’t built in an Effin day

We have shifted more loans out in January and I have no doubt we will remove some more deadwood early doors in Summer.

Once that’s done - THEN we can look at getting the striker we need. It’s not just a case of sell to buy. It’s a case of getting rid of the players we have so we don’t have 30 professional footballers vying for a place in the match day 18.

I've done the Norfolk Broads mate ( the barges not the birds )

Loved it, was an absolutely crap sailor though. 7 days and all I done was sail up and back down the same stretch of water every day and moored it back outside the same pub every night. Didn't understand the maps/locks etc so found it easier to just sail in a straight line, find a place to turn and sail back Inna straight line lol
I'll take the advice from you and so should Dave lol

Whilst I know we desperately need to shift out the deadwood because of FFP, I believe that the board are being remarkably arrogant here. We will do well to get much above 40 points this year without a striker, but they just presume that we will be in no danger. Not sure about that myself.

The problem isn't just about the scoring of goals, but the impact not having a striker has on all round play. None of our forwards can play with their backs to goal, nor have any of them got the pace to stretch and frighten teams. This means that the ball is consistently coming straight back at us in games and then our defensive weaknesses are being more greatly exposed. Even a lump of a striker on loan in the mould of a Deeney (not a player I like btw) would have plugged the gap to the end of the season. But not signing one will exacerbate our weaknesses and I reckon we will continue to slide down the table.

Now the Summer may well provide much better value for money, but if the board believe that, as the season is effectively over, this will have no impact on summer activity then they are wrong. Let's say we finish 15th - what decent players are going to join the Everton 'project' when we would clearly be going backwards? And let's say that Silva wants to sign Gomes permanently, well he would hardly be wanting to stay either in that situation would he? (I accept this is a moot point for some of our fans who probably no longer want him anyway - but you get my point).

Plus, if we really do struggle for points, we all seem to be forgetting that we may yet still receive a points deduction from the FA for tapping up Silva - which should be unlikely, but this is Everton, so you never know.

I believe that it does make sense to trundle on with our dross until the summer and not continue to splurge money for the other positions, but the lack of striker, is for me criminally negligent and may yet come back to haunt us as it fundamentally affects the way we play. Just my opinion, but there we go.
Deeney? I don't like him either. Why even consider?

Fact - no one was coming in.

Fact - no one good enough available.

Fact - for once we haven't wasted a shed load of money on the run in.

Finally the right decisions made...

@davek I don’t know if you noticed but in summer there was a World Cup on.

We also signed richarlison Digne Gomes mina and zouma.

We also sorted sales/loans out for several players.

Rome wasn’t built in an Effin day

We have shifted more loans out in January and I have no doubt we will remove some more deadwood early doors in Summer.

Once that’s done - THEN we can look at getting the striker we need. It’s not just a case of sell to buy. It’s a case of getting rid of the players we have so we don’t have 30 professional footballers vying for a place in the match day 18.

Got Davek on ignore...makes GOT so much better.....

Deeney? I don't like him either. Why even consider?

Fact - no one was coming in.

Fact - no one good enough available.

Fact - for once we haven't wasted a shed load of money on the run in.

Finally the right decisions made...

Was just using an obvious example of a blunt instrument type striker. I fail to believe that there was no one good enough available when we simply have no options. DCL has shown he can't lead the line, Tosun is too weak and slow and Richarlison can't play with his back to goal. If we had brought in a striker who can at least keep the ball, then the talent we do have (Richarlison, Lookman, Bernard etc) would be more of a threat. Not to mention Sigurdsson may actually start being able to attack the box again.

I'm sure that there would have been a loan deal (no commitment needed there) that would have seen us through until the end of the season, but I don't think the club were even inclined to look. As I said, I believe that to be a mistake. I'd also be miffed if Silva doesn't at least give some young players like Hornby a spin. Might not be ready, but he can't be much worse than what we have!

Whilst I know we desperately need to shift out the deadwood because of FFP, I believe that the board are being remarkably arrogant here. We will do well to get much above 40 points this year without a striker, but they just presume that we will be in no danger. Not sure about that myself.

The problem isn't just about the scoring of goals, but the impact not having a striker has on all round play. None of our forwards can play with their backs to goal, nor have any of them got the pace to stretch and frighten teams. This means that the ball is consistently coming straight back at us in games and then our defensive weaknesses are being more greatly exposed. Even a lump of a striker on loan in the mould of a Deeney (not a player I like btw) would have plugged the gap to the end of the season. But not signing one will exacerbate our weaknesses and I reckon we will continue to slide down the table.

Now the Summer may well provide much better value for money, but if the board believe that, as the season is effectively over, this will have no impact on summer activity then they are wrong. Let's say we finish 15th - what decent players are going to join the Everton 'project' when we would clearly be going backwards? And let's say that Silva wants to sign Gomes permanently, well he would hardly be wanting to stay either in that situation would he? (I accept this is a moot point for some of our fans who probably no longer want him anyway - but you get my point).

Plus, if we really do struggle for points, we all seem to be forgetting that we may yet still receive a points deduction from the FA for tapping up Silva - which should be unlikely, but this is Everton, so you never know.

I believe that it does make sense to trundle on with our dross until the summer and not continue to splurge money for the other positions, but the lack of striker, is for me criminally negligent and may yet come back to haunt us as it fundamentally affects the way we play. Just my opinion, but there we go.
All makes sense but who is available right now that's better than what we've got? Batshuayi at 35 million, minimum 120k a week? It's easy to say we need to get a striker in but look at the market, higuain who's 32 is at chelsea on massive wages on a loan. 50m reported for king at Bournemouth.

To me this season is a write off, the players we need werent available and the money side of it is all wrong due to previous regimes spunking money up the wall. Fair play to Davek for recognizing what was happening under korman, I certainly didn't and gave him stick but he was spot on at the time.

We've got to be realistic as fans here, the squad is grossly imbalanced and it's going to take time to sort it. If after the summer we are still stuck with a lot of these players then alarm bells will be ringing but at the moment I dont really see what else silva and brands could have done this window. Theres plenty available within this squad to be doing better than what we are. The players need to pull their finger out now take some ownership of their own performances and make a claim for the first team going into next season. None of them should have a free pass as we've been consistently abysmal for the last 3 or 4 years now.

Status
Not open for further replies.