James Return

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh-god-oh-jesus.gif

My initial reaction was "in a heartbeat", adored watching him and think he would probably work well with Lampard.

However think we have bigger holes to fill in the squad and given his injuries/age he is more a luxury player that for his wages we could probably invest more effectively elsewhere.

Real shame though as in a ideal world I'd like him back.

I'd want him back in a second on the romantic side of things just for the joy of seeing creativity and technique like that in the flesh.
But if we're to be pragmatic and business-like about it there's still not many players we could get who could score or assist every other game.
Funds being better spent elsewhere might warrant some consideration but we've been torching money for years in wages paid to the likes of Tosun, Bolasie, Delph, Gbamin. The season we had out of James was better value for money than many (most?) of our recent acquisitions.
If we could get him on like 70k a week basic with appearance and performance bonuses we should be absolutely all over it.
If we had to pay double that on a 12 month contract I'd still consider it a risk worth taking.

1645594309734.png

"Go back to Everton one day? Of course I would go back to Everton. It's a spectacular club with incredible fans, but I found a coach who didn't want to count on me."

In the same report, Richy is quoted as saying that James trained really well and FSW clearly wanted him out, to everyone's surprise.
I feel like James and Brown shoes would’ve gotten on phenomenally well.

My initial reaction was "in a heartbeat", adored watching him and think he would probably work well with Lampard.

However think we have bigger holes to fill in the squad and given his injuries/age he is more a luxury player that for his wages we could probably invest more effectively elsewhere.

Real shame though as in a ideal world I'd like him back.
And. It. Hurts. With. Every. Heartbeat.

Oh aye yeah, James is exactly the type of personality we need for a relegation scrap.

He wasn't very good when he was here, but I'm sure a season in Qatar will have got him fighting fit again.

I loved having James here, he was a truly remarkable footballer, however, he just doesn't fit in to the system Lampard wants us to play. It will all be about high tempo, pressing football under Frank and as good a player as James is, he just wouldn't fit in. I wish I could say differently, but, it's a no from me.

Status
Not open for further replies.