2023/24 James Garner

Only 3 of this team played regularly 2 seasons ago. Pickford, doucoure and DCL,
Myko had been at the club a few months. You can’t say dyche is a much better mananger than Lampard and Rafael, to then say these players are crap,
Look at them under Rafael and Lampard.
Weren't we 19th when he arrived or something? Now 18 months later we're well away from that. He's turned us round mate. That's the whole point.

Anyways, it's supposed to be a James Garner thread...

Weren't we 19th when he arrived or something? Now 18 months later we're well away from that. He's turned us round mate. That's the whole point.

Anyways, it's supposed to be a James Garner thread...
He’s a competent manager, who took over from an extremely poor manager. And done his job as Roy Keane would say. I said months ago I’d expect this squad, with mostly a fully fit squad to be 13th to 16th. Ao hes slightly over achieved, he’s not a miracle worker and should be manager of the year. He’s a steady hand for now. But new owners should be preparing for BMD and looking for better

Why would I ignore it? You've made a reasoned response based on your own observations and experiences.

I wouldn't say where they were for the past 40 years means nothing, context is important, he did well to get them back near the top, as has the latest manager tbf.

As stated elsewhere, his 'views' or tactics or whatever I suspect are more to do with where the club is at. They were relegation candidates from Day 1, he set up not to go down, partly successful, partly not. Similarly at Everton, relegation candidates when he arrived. It remains to be seen if he can kick on, with a solid top half team? Indeed will he actually get the chance?
Because it's what you've actively done for half this thread mate.

It does mean absolutely nothing, sadly, as the past is the past. They were in the championship for about a decade too, solidly in midtable there, and Coyle also got them back to the Prem too, before getting relegated first time (like Kompany and Dyche).

He will get the chance and he won't kick on. His views on football and tactics are exactly what you see here, and exactly what it says on the tin. I've said it before and I'll say it again - I'll be happy to be wrong and for him to be this Diego Simeone-esque figure for us, but Cholo adapts to games and opposition and has more than 1 (s***house) way to play. He's a stability first, "try not to get relegated" manager - like Moyes was, and like what we admittedly need now. Once his job with that is done, and with money, he'll continue to do the exact same and only comfortable thing he knows, much like Moyes has. Nothing bad in that, but no glass ceilings will ever be broken.

The way we play doesn't really suit ball playing midfielders. Mainly we are looking to do one of two things, either I) keep the ball side to side at the back before turning defences with long balls into the channel; or ii) bypass the midfield with aerial balls into Dom and win the seconds.

Players like Garner, Onana (even Chermitti, who wants to get involved in the build up with the ball to feet) I think would look better in a team that looks to build up through the thirds with shorter passing, one twos, round the corners and so on.

Interesting to see some links over the past 12months...the most which were continuously pushed out were those more in line with a Thelwell type player rather than a Dyche one.

Interesting to see who does come in this window.

Hard to know. I suspect in a different team that play different tactics some of our players would look very different.

100%. See the full backs coming inside to allow for crosses into our box for Tarkowski and Branthwaite to deal with. Other sides would have the full backs wider

Weve got a midfield anchor playing CM...Garner struggling next to Gana imo...or pushed right. His best games were next to Onana.

Any ball playing side would see our players in a different light.

I think he's been a great water-carrier. He's a good player no question but not dynamic or creative enough.

Same with Florentino Luis who has been linked. Id put him as another Gana but also similar in position to Onana...while being a bit random like Gomes

I think we'll see a lot less outs than Zat thinks, tbh. However, it is likely, given our financial situation, that we go into next season weaker than this. But, as the Dyche hardcore love to point out, we're currently in 11th without the points deduction so I really don't want to hear all the "miracle" stuff again next year. Eventually, we have to stop feeling sorry for ourselves and develop a forward looking attitude, Everton aren't we?

I think we will be stronger next season.

I think we are unbalanced. Onana is only worth the money based on international performances has done nothing for us. Our main asserts are defensive, we don’t have balance, no pace and guile.

But looking at the other teams. Palace have talent I agree

Brighton have a lot of talent. Mitomina, Ferguson, solly marsh, joao pedro, all 40m plus

Forest squad has a lot of ability and think could do well next season. Callum Hudson odi, elanga and gibs white. Awoniyi, Danilo and murrillo would all fetch big money. They certainly have game changers

Brentford have some serious fire power with wissa, muemba, and toney.

Relegated sides were missing these players.

Did you not think Onana was great vs Arsenal?

Unless Moshiri takes over another football club, no club in their right mind is paying 60 million for Calvert Lewin.

I rated him as that back when he was with the England squad. Now £30mil at best.

Teamtalk quoted our asking price last week at £60mil

He’s a competent manager, who took over from an extremely poor manager. And done his job as Roy Keane would say. I said months ago I’d expect this squad, with mostly a fully fit squad to be 13th to 16th. Ao hes slightly over achieved, he’s not a miracle worker and should be manager of the year. He’s a steady hand for now. But new owners should be preparing for BMD and looking for better

I think i said 12-14th would be acceptable for me and numbers wise he has us in 12th.

Next season id like to see us hit 50pts. Id be fine with 10-12th again.

As for Garner, hes a good all rounder...a consistent 6 out of 10 player...occasional 7/10.

Linked with Spurs for £30mil earlier in the season and may be worth that if he can turn those 6's to consistent 7's next season

Do you really
I think i said 12-14th would be acceptable for me and numbers wise he has us in 12th.

Next season id like to see us hit 50pts. Id be fine with 10-12th again.

As for Garner, hes a good all rounder...a consistent 6 out of 10 player...occasional 7/10.

Linked with Spurs for £30mil earlier in the season and may be worth that if he can turn those 6's to consistent 7's next season
Do you really believe spurs wanted him for 30mil??

Do you understand the word LINKED and the context?
Yes I know that, but why post a nonsense rumour that has very little chance happening. But you mention it because it makes your point look more believable.
Garner is great , because spurs were going to spend 30mil on him.

Yes I know that, but why post a nonsense rumour that has very little chance happening. But you mention it because it makes your point look more believable.
Garner is great , because spurs were going to spend 30mil on him.

Thats precisely what i didnt write.

……. more goals is about getting in the box more often, something I noticed him doing towards the end of the season. Certainly something he can work on.

He has to.

1 goal from 50 shots, and 3 assists in 50+ games. For a player who in his first season I thought "great, he can pass forward"

Maybe being harsh but I was most disappointed with him last season - perhaps my expectations were too high.

He has to.

1 goal from 50 shots, and 3 assists in 50+ games. For a player who in his first season I thought "great, he can pass forward"

Maybe being harsh but I was most disappointed with him last season - perhaps my expectations were too high.
Our midfield area is a mess.

Thats the problem.

Our back line is settled, they all know their jobs, but the midfield just seems like it makes it up as it goes most weeks.

1 week Jimmy is tasked with being an 8, the next week a 6, then sometimes a 7, hell even a 2.

He does his job, but I dont think our midfield allows players to shine.

Our midfield area is a mess.

Thats the problem.

Our back line is settled, they all know their jobs, but the midfield just seems like it makes it up as it goes most weeks.

1 week Jimmy is tasked with being an 8, the next week a 6, then sometimes a 7, hell even a 2.

He does his job, but I dont think our midfield allows players to shine.

Aye, it's a fair point. Onana has had the same problem.