James Ellis sings Z Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wiki
"You'll Never Walk Alone" is a show tune from the 1945 Rodgers and Hammerstein musical Carousel. In the second act of the musical, Nettie Fowler, the cousin of the female protagonist Julie Jordan, sings "You'll Never Walk Alone" to comfort and encourage Julie when her husband, Billy Bigelow, the male lead, commits suicide after a failed robbery attempt.

I know, thought a Kopite some time in the early 60s, let's adapt a song about a gangster to sing on the Kop.. Not a bit like Fields of Athenry with its anti-British sentiments. Just amazing..

"anti British sentiments"?

Sounds to me it is more anti hunger sentiments.......a hunger which was exacerbated by the actions of the British government under the auspices of Travelyan, some sort of colonial overlord and all round arrogant bugger who was happy enough exporting, under armed guard, corn grown in the fields of Ireland, whilst the populace in the west of that country starved to death.

I think you might have been stealing the bugger's corn and rebelling against the British happen your wee family were eating grass in the vain hope of staying alive.

BTW......if you had been at Wembley in 1986, at the height of Thatcher's attack on this city, you would have heard 100,000 Scousers boo God Save The Queen in a show of anti Thatcher solidarity.

But you would no doubt describe our actions that day as "anti British" :p

"anti British sentiments"?

Sounds to me it is more anti hunger sentiments.......a hunger which was exacerbated by the actions of the British government under the auspices of Travelyan, some sort of colonial overlord and all round arrogant bugger who was happy enough exporting, under armed guard, corn grown in the fields of Ireland, whilst the populace in the west of that country starved to death.

I think you might have been stealing the bugger's corn and rebelling against the British happen your wee family were eating grass in the vain hope of staying alive.

BTW......if you had been at Wembley in 1986, at the height of Thatcher's attack on this city, you would have heard 100,000 Scousers boo God Save The Queen in a show of anti Thatcher solidarity.

But you would no doubt describe our actions that day as "anti British" :p

1. I believe you are conflating the injustices of times past committed by British people to the Irish with the adaptation of that song by (apparently majority) English/British football fans. The point I made was not to object to the sentiments of the original Fields of Athenry which I believe I completely understand but the sheer hypocrisy of Liverpool fans using that anthem* for their own purposes. Perhaps they (LFC fans) are just too ignorant.

(*Michael they have taken you away etc etc)

2. I was at Wembley in 1986. Obviously the 100,000 felt there was no other opportunity of expressing their unity and anti-Thatcher sentiments on that occasion.

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.