Is this the season when Shane Duffy breaks through?

Status
Not open for further replies.
his distribution is nowhere near good enough for what martinez wants. its a shame because i always thought he was good enough untill i saw john stones then i realised how streets ahead stones is . probably will make a good championship defender

Those saying he doesn't look enough on the ball, very little centre backs are. Jags was never excellent at it, RM came in and made him good at it.

Stones is a much more glamorous version of him. They could make a hell of a duo at the back if they both progress well. I think another loan should be out the window, if he's going to step up, it's got to be now.

I wish the lad the best, he had that shocking injury and has come back strong.

If he stays I think he will be given the opportunities to show his skill since we need backup players that can do the job when our first choises need a break, are injured or banned. As some have stated earlier, he is a good CD. But is he good enough for the part of PL where we want to be? For the lower ranked teams.. then possibly yes, for a team that want to battle for CL & EL competitions? I'm not so sure, but I haven't seen him much. Currently I would rate him tied 4:th with Alcaraz, but RM most likely rate Alcaraz higher since he brought him along when he joined last summer. Would like for EFC to give him a new 3 year contract and if he doesn't step up when given the chances this season, Selling him next summer. I do hope he step up since both Jags and Distin are getting older. If he can step up we would have 2 great CD for a decade to come in Stones & Duffy.

Hope so obviously. Usually takes defenders a while to really hit their stride and we do have a very high standard at CB. Hard to say. He could easily be good enough to be 2nd/3rd choice at some clubs ... even some Prem clubs ... and still not make it with us. So it's no insult to the lad if he can't quite make it here ... but I hope he can. Might be one of those cases where if he went nuts (in a good way) and did twice as much as everyone else he could make it ... but he might not make it doing "just enough" ... not saying that IS the case ... just what I think might be the case.

Realistically, he'll be competing with Alcaraz for the 4th spot behind Jags, Stones and Distin. If Roberto plans Besic as a centre back, even he might be preferred to the latter two. So no, I don't think he'll become anything more than a fringe player.

Realistically, he'll be competing with Alcaraz for the 4th spot behind Jags, Stones and Distin. If Roberto plans Besic as a centre back, even he might be preferred to the latter two. So no, I don't think he'll become anything more than a fringe player.
besic won't be a centre back. I wouldn't tell him to his face but he's a bit of a shortass. Distin and Alcaraz aren't getting any younger either

I'd rather have Duffy as a 4th CB than Alcaraz and I don't mind Alcaraz its just I'd rather have a homegrown CB playing for the club and getting a chance over a guy who could be injured for the majority of this season.

I'd like to say I rate him as he seems a nice lad, but... lacks a yard of pace and always looks prone to a mistake.

I think he's came around in the wrong era. Stones looks well more suited to being a modern defender, whereas Duffy is more of the Dave Watson type.

yes, he "lacks a yard of pace", but that is hardly the deciding factor in a central defender. Just look at Per Mertesacker at Arsenal or Daniel van Buyten at Bayern Munich. Both are hideously slow but manage to do a job in teams with very similar playing styles to our own.

To address your second point, "always looks prone to a mistake", we've hardly seen enough of him recently to say that. That fact is, he had an impressive showing while out on loan last season and deserves a chance now. At the very least, I would give him a chance ahead of Alcaraz at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.