Is Merseyside Derby biggest English football fixture?

What do you think?

• Obvs LAD

Votes: 80 61.1%
  • are you mad?

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • Fresh Pineapple Topped With Melted Cheese

Votes: 22 16.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

COYB

Player Valuation: £35m
Thought about this while seeing Galloway's interview and thought most the same.

He already thinks it's the biggest fixture in England i would say yes
there's a lot of London derby's / Manchester derby/Utd vLiverpool etc
what are big but history and passion wise i myself don't think there's a bigger game in the country.

i know a lot of Mancs / Cockneys would disagree

It's their biggest game, and they know it. They just don't admit it.

It's probably ours too.

Biased here, but yep. Even if it's not, it was once. Ok it's not, but I want it to be. Maybe.

I can't decide.

I think it's the biggest derby. Sadly Sky, in their efforts to completely erase and reboot football, have invented rivalries for their own gain. Mostly involving Liverpool, but also Arsenal v Utd, Chelsea v Arsenal, City v Chelsea.

I think the only other derby which could stake a claim would be Arsenal v Spurs. Until recently, the two Manc clubs have been too far apart in league terms to be a worthwhile fixture.

I think it's the biggest derby. Sadly Sky, in their efforts to completely erase and reboot football, have invented rivalries for their own gain. Mostly involving Liverpool, but also Arsenal v Utd, Chelsea v Arsenal, City v Chelsea.

I think the only other derby which could stake a claim would be Arsenal v Spurs. Until recently, the two Manc clubs have been too far apart in league terms to be a worthwhile fixture.

Exactly. Because there are other PL teams in the capital, for me, that waters down the Spurs-Arsenal derby a tad, the main similarity to ours being the proximity of the two grounds. I actually think the Tyne-Wear derby is bigger than Arsenal-Spurs, mostly because it doesn't happen every year and when it does, one or both teams are usually in a relegation battle, giving it even added spice.

I'm from Salford and have been to Manc derbies with Manu/city supporting friends back in the 70s and early 80s and let me tell you that having been to Merseyside derbies since 1973, they knock the Manc derbies into a cocked hat. The atmosphere at Manc derbies used to be ultra vitriolic, really nasty at times, whereas our derbies were always friendlier with more banter.

I read a thread the reds had going somewhere once on who was their biggest rivals. It just showed how un-local and crap their fan base is. Not one on the thread said us. Most had us like 5th after United/Chelsea/Arse?Spurs and in some cases Real Madrid. Loads saying they would like to see us do well, just not as well as them.

Now my mates growing up in Liverpool despise us, to us we are the first fixture they look for and the one they want to win the most.

So to Scousers and Everton fans its the biggest game. To others around the Country not so much.

I read a thread the reds had going somewhere once on who was their biggest rivals. It just showed how un-local and crap their fan base is. Not one on the thread said us. Most had us like 5th after United/Chelsea/Arse?Spurs and in some cases Real Madrid. Loads saying they would like to see us do well, just not as well as them.

Now my mates growing up in Liverpool despise us, to us we are the first fixture they look for and the one they want to win the most.

So to Scousers and Everton fans its the biggest game. To others around the Country not so much.
Desperation, mate. Trying to be in with the in crowd. Quite sad really.

Desperation, mate. Trying to be in with the in crowd. Quite sad really.
This. The LFC fans who have been a fan for years will always see the Derby as the biggest game of their season, as it is.

You get the odd one winding up evertonians saying other games are bigger. Then you get them deluded never-been-a-game-doesn't-care fans who actually believe that's true as they don't know what the Derby is exactly like.

Then you get this younger generation who listen to the ones above and are actually convinced other games (United, Chelsea, Arsenal) are bigger than the derby

As you can see it really does my nut in

Status
Not open for further replies.